Nissan Versa Forums banner

DIY Oil Changes Void Warranty?

32K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  Kennethbokor 
#1 ·
I searched the forum on this topic and didn't get much, so my apologies if this has been discussed before. When I bought my 2014 Versa Note the other day, the dealer (5 Star Nissan of Warner Robins, GA) told me that if I do my own oil changes I would void my warranty. I told him that was ridiculous and that I have been an aircraft mechanic for over 20 years, I'm well qualified to change oil. I also pointed out that some people are really picky about what oil goes into their engines (nothing but Royal Purple and K&N filters for my cars). He told me I could bring the oil with me to the stealership and they would use that oil. He said that all oil changes are entered into CarFax and must be done by an ASE certified mechanic.

This is all nonsense to me, I can't remember the last time I actually paid for an oil change. Were you all told the same thing when you bought your vehicles?

#3 ·
I think what you need to do is to keep proof (receipts) that you have done the oil changes at the factory recommended intervals.

My dealer did not say anything about requiring oil changes to be done by a dealer. I'd think the fast lube/oil change places would sue Nissan if that were true.

#5 ·
I like doing my own oil changes but I don't want the hassle if I have an engine problem. Oil changes aren't too expensive just don't pay for anything thats not in your manual. Be sure to mark your filter to make sure they actually change it. In a way I can't blame them, some home mechanics have really screwed things up and they don't want to cover others mistakes.

#8 ·
Just had my 2009 engine replaced by the dealership under warranty, and the first thing they asked for when the evaluated the problem were my service records. Since I had all my oil changes done at the dealer, I told the service technician to pull them up on his computer. Case closed. My dealership in N.J. charges $24 to do an oil change. I am not going to nickel and dime myself by going to a cheap lube joint to save $5.00. As for changing the oil myself, its a pain in the rear, and again, your talking about saving $10, and then you have to do a song and dance with the dealership if you need warranty work done.

#6 ·
Were you all told the same thing when you bought your vehicles?
When I bought my Versa, the salesman actually told me that after the 4 free oil changes were used up, if I chose to do my own oil changes just keep track of it and keep the receipts. So for every oil change I put the receipt in the maintenance booklet that comes with the owners manual and filled out the page with the date and mileage.

You need to leave a bag of flaming crap on your salesman's doorstep.

#10 ·
Having worked at a dealership and having owned lots of new cars I learned that you can play lawyer all day but in the end you just have to decide if it's worth it to experience the potential additional hassle and stress. Dealers don't care if you recite some law you read on the internet, they have insurance for liability and real lawyers as well. Dealers know how to play the game and it's their job, for us it's a hobby and hiring a lawyer gets expensive. Besides , it's not worth the wasted time or stress. I always change the oil on my 2004 350Z and I hate working on that car. I admit, it's almost worth the trouble since I get out every last drop of the old oil and I get Mobil 1 when it's on sale.

#12 ·
Dealers don't care if you recite some law you read on the internet, they have insurance for liability and real lawyers as well. Dealers know how to play the game and it's their job, for us it's a hobby and hiring a lawyer gets expensive.
Thats where having a good lawyer in the family comes in handy :wink My uncle has come through for me a few times now.

#14 ·
I have to agree, with the exception of my swap car, I take all my vehicles in for oil changes. They're cheap, easy, and saves me a crapload of hassle. If they do screw something up, it's on them.

you can call them idiots if you want, but if they couldn't change your oil, or were prone to making mistakes and damaging vehicles in the process, they wouldn't be working there long. Profit margins on oil changes are razor thin, that's why they try to sell you everything under the moon when you go in for one.

Reactions: pimperell
#15 ·
Profit margins on oil changes are razor thin, that's why they try to sell you everything under the moon when you go in for one.[/QUOTE]

When I worked at a dealer I quickly learned the oil change is the most effective way to bring in customers for more expensive and profitable services. Admittedly this was a Porsche-Audi-VW dealer and the Porsche customers knew that complete service records made their cars worth more and easier to sell down the road. Nobody want's a Porsche that was worked on by some home mechanic. If you don't let them sell you un necessary stuff it's not expensive. These are not turbocharged high output racing engines used on a track.

#16 ·
I totally get what you all are saying, but by performing my own oil changes, I have the piece of mind of knowing that the oil change was done correctly. Have you ever tried to take your oil filter off after a dealer oil change? These are the people that supposedly "know what they're doing".

I have sent an e-mail to NISSAN regarding the issue, and I'll have to wait to see their response before I decide whether or not the dealer will be changing the oil.

Thank you all for your responses. :thumb2:

I'll post Nissan's response here if I ever get one.....

#17 ·
What do you think the dealers do? Put gravel in your crank case? Mark your filter with a Sharpie marker or scratch the paint on it so you can make sure they actually changed the filter. It's an oil change, not a rebuild. Not all dealers are bad but some are. I had my 350z belts replaced at a Nissan dealer and they did they do a good job at a reasonable price. They did a "Free" inspection on the whole car and I was prepared for a load of B.S. but the service writer said "Your car is in great shape, the rear brakes will need to be replaced within a year but they are fine for now. Please keep us in mind when the time comes". True story, I swear. They didn't even try to scam me. Sure enough, my rear brakes are starting to hit the squeel indicators. Just like he said. I had a great exerience.

#20 ·
What do you think the dealers do? Put gravel in your crank case? Mark your filter with a Sharpie marker or scratch the paint on it so you can make sure they actually changed the filter. It's an oil change, not a rebuild.
LOL....have another sip of the dealership Koolaid. :wink It's just an oil change, but you can still do irreparable damage if you don't pay attention to detail, which is exactly what happens at the dealership. Go "behind the scenes" and observe these dealership mechanics once in a while, your faith will be tested.

The dealership is a business and is only concerned about taking your money (understandably so), not giving your car the best care possible. All I'm saying is that I baby my vehicles, and I shouldn't be penalized for doing so.

#18 ·
One other thing to note, if you use the racing Royal Purple (unless things have changed since I last looked at the bottle) it is not API certified and would give them an excuse to dishonor your warranty.

#21 ·
My Nissan dealer is guilty of this too, but on a much smaller scale. I went in for a tire rotation and on the multi-point checklist the mechanic checked off that my windshield washer fluid was in the green....it was actually bone dry. If they'll "pencil whip" that, what else will they pencil whip? Also, on my wife's Quest the mechanic marked her brake pads in the yellow 2 oil changes ago. The mechanic that did this last oil change marked the pads green. Inconsistency, pencil whipping inspections.....and some of you wonder why I want to do my own maintenance???

#22 ·
My Nissan dealer is guilty of this too, but on a much smaller scale. I went in for a tire rotation and on the multi-point checklist the mechanic checked off that my windshield washer fluid was in the green....it was actually bone dry. If they'll "pencil whip" that, what else will they pencil whip? Also, on my wife's Quest the mechanic marked her brake pads in the yellow 2 oil changes ago. The mechanic that did this last oil change marked the pads green. Inconsistency, pencil whipping inspections.....and some of you wonder why I want to do my own maintenance???

Jiffy Lube Scam Caught on Tape! - YouTube
1.) i have known the people at my dealership for quite a few years now and they have never once told me something that needed to be done that didnt really need to be done

2.) when i do take my car in i make damn sure i can see what the techs are doing at all times and the dealer i go to provides a nice giant window into the work bay to be able to do this so i can make sure they know that im watching

3.) i have a complimentary 100,000 mile powertrain warranty through my dealership and one of the stipulations in the contract for the extended warranty is that i am required to bring the car in to the same dealership where i bought it from for all maintenance services in order to qualify for the extended warranty

not all dealerships are bad and i have had my fair share of bad experiences with other dealerships on all different brands of cars, but believe it or not, there are good dealerships that take care of their customers out there, i just happened to luck out on mine

#23 ·
Sorry to bump an old thread, but after receiving no replies to several e-mails asking Nissan for a yes/no answer as to whether or not DIY oil changes void the factory warranty, I found my answer from the Federal Trade Commission:

Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance | Consumer Information

Carry on DIY'ers, we are protected by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

#32 ·
My 2009 Versa sedan just had a short block put in by the dealer under warranty last December at 39,000 miles . All of my oil changes from day one were done at the dealership, and when the tech asked me about my maintenance records, I just told him to look at his computer. My dealer charges about $10 dollars more for an oil change than the quick lube guys, which I think is CHEAP insurance against the dealership having any doubts that you kept your oil changes up to date!!!

#24 · (Edited)
I'm fortunate also to have a good dealer, for over the past 10 years and two Nissans they have done real well by me. They once made a radiator fixe in kind of a shadetree manner because they knew it would have cost me a bundle to do it by the book. The repair held! They routinely charge me less than the estimate for things. They are honest about wear items. They seem to know what they are doing beyond reading codes, and can actulally resolve real situations that the codes don't indicate.

I have a Tiida today, not because I think Nissans are the greatest cars, but because this Nissan dealer does okay by me. I don't know what the local Toyota dealer is like.

#25 ·
I got the 4 free oil changes and tire rotations with my new purchase. I think I am going to pass and do it myself for several reasons.

They seem pretty anxious to get you back to do these oil changes, and at the time of purchase they automatically penciled me in for the first scheduled oil change at 5K.

I think there is an obvious reason why they want you to do these and that is to hopefully sometime down the road get you to spend money at the dealership (most likely on something you don't need). Yea, you will probably skate through the first two oil changes with no issues, no hustles, but come oil change 3 or 4 then what happens...you should do this...you should do that, etc. I think they all pretty much act the same and additional service at the dealership is a big moneymaker for the house.

I have run into issues with oil changes not done correctly. For example, I recall once many moons ago I saw some oil spots in my driveway shortly after an oil change. I investigated, reached my hand down under the oil pan and could actually loosen the plug with my fingers. My wife was in that car most of the time with the kids, toddlers at the time, and she was lucky the plug didn't come out and have a breakdown.

You know how the plug gasket can sometimes stick to the back of the pan and then fall off into the dirty oil? I have had to go down to the auto parts store and get a new gasket because people are right when they say these folks don't really give a crap about your car. It's the little details like that for those who do their own oil changes will pay attention, whereas the folks who really just want your cash could care less.

I will be doing my own oil changes and saving my receipts while the engine is under warranty. Oil has come down in cost as of recent, and odds favor I will be putting in better oil than the the dealership free oil. I'm sure they are using a conventional oil at the dealership. Synthetic has come down in price and that is probably a better option.

Charlie

#26 ·
Yes, they can void your warranty if you don't have proof that an ASE certified mechanic did not perform the work. They have to have physical proof that an actual mechanic did the work but it doesn't matter if it was at the dealership or another automotive repair place.

I do pretty much all of my own automotive repairs but I can't do anything on my Versa because it will void the warranty. They do this to prevent someone from going any buying their own oil/filter and saying they changed it but never actually did or used the wrong stuff.

#28 ·
I'd be very surprised if any of the quick oil change places have ASE certified mechanics doing your oil changes, although if you have it done in one of those places and you have a receipt to prove it, you should be covered.

I think as long as you have receipts to prove you bought the proper spec oil and filter for your car, that's proof enough to not void the warranty.

I just had my first oil change on my Note done at the dealer. Total cost was approx $35. Sure it's higher than the quick oil change places but I thought it was fairly reasonable for a dealership. I'm getting too old to do my own.

BTW, historically a lot of people do not change their oil particularly on cars they do not own ( i.e. Leased cars). I think this is the main reason why the manufacturers are getting picky about this and threaten to void the warranty even if the cannot legally do so.

#27 ·
A unwritten motto of a lot business's would be, 'try not to pay'. The car business is no different. No business likes to do free work, including Nissan Corp. If it's covered under warranty, no skin off the dealership back, they will I assume just bill Nissan for the work, similar to recall work. However, if you hope to win a dealership award from the Nissan Corp., again, try not to pay (or bill).

So, assume something did go wrong with your motor, and you have gone to the dealership as one of the faithful with regular oil changes, do you think maybe they would try to blame something other than oil changes? How do you prove you were a good driver and never red lined the tachometer?

Warranties are enticements. Offer something that gives some peace of mind. Competitors make the offers, so they are a must. They are hardly a gamble. Nothing is offered if they think there is a possibility of losing. It comes as no surprise there is no warranty offered on paint. Paint sucks, it fails, and it is a risk as a warranty item so it will not be offered. How many transmissions do you know have failed under 100k? Warranties are offered only because the expectation is, if you do what you're supposed to do nothing will go wrong.

Do you think Nissan's motor oil is better than what you can buy in the store. How about the oil filters?

Knowing there is very little risk for the dealership when it comes to a warranty, and knowing oil changes are very generic, I wouldn't lose any sleep at all over voiding a warranty for not going to the dealership for regular oil changes.

#33 ·
Well, I decided to change the oil today and roll the dice with the new car warranty. I decided to get it done this weekend for a few reasons. First and main reason, I have heard it is always a good idea to do a first oil change early with a new motor, despite what the book says. Second most important reason would be it will probably the dead of winter time when it is due by the book, and the weather may be much colder and the possibility of snow on the ground. I don't have a garage to park my vehicles in, so being the weather was okay, chilly but not wet out, I went ahead and did it today. My first oil change comes in just shy of 2500 miles...2475 I think. I tend to be a bit on the frugal side when it comes to some things, so I didn't bother going high-end. I picked up a 5-quart jug of SuperTech Full Synthetic 5W-30 and a Purolator L14612 filter. The book calls for 3 3/4 oil with a filter change so I eye-balled it off on the jug and filled to the specified amount. The drain plug takes a 9mm socket. Fair warning, if you do this and it is the first time, that factory filter is on there really tight. Because of the angle, kinda hard to get a decent grip on it and had to use my filter wrench to go after it...and even then is was kinda tricky and I chewed it up pretty good but finally wrestled it off. The book mentions without a filter change use 3 3/8 quarts, so next time I will mostly likely skip the filter and just buy 2 loose quarts and use the remainder in the 5 quart jug to get close to the 3 3/8th. I went with the jug because four loose quarts doing the math of the ST full synthetic would cost the same if not more than the 5 quart jug. I think it was 17+change for the oil and with the filter, total cost $22.06. I would rather spend the $22 than take an 1:20 round trip drive to the dealership for an oil change on my day off....warranty or no warranty.

#34 ·
Yup, that factory filter is torqued pretty well....I chewed mine up taking it off as well. I've been using the K&N wrench-off filters (HP-1008 for the Note) for years and that is what I replaced the factory filter with. I filled her back up with Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic. I will run this configuration for as long as I own the car.

#35 ·
Yea, I use Pennzoil Platinum too and it works great. I use a NAPA Gold Filter but any good quality filter will be fine. I choose to spend a couple of bucks more for a very good filter and synthetic oil since I spread the changes out to every 10,000 KM's. I do the changes myself. Really easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.