Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of DIY CVT Oil Changes? I know most garages won't mess with a CVT tranny. Anyone know why? What do you guys think of this video? Thank you.

·
Registered
247 Posts
What do you guys think of DIY CVT Oil Changes? I know most garages won't mess with a CVT tranny. Anyone know why? What do you guys think of this video? Thank you.

I haven't watched the video but, I'll be doing my own CVT drain/fill and new filter about next spring when the Versa gets to 30K miles. I've watched a few videos and what I plan to do is drain the old fluid out change the filter and refill with the same amount I drain out. Doesn't sound like rocket science to me and shouldn't be much harder than an oil/filter change.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am way overdue for an tranny oil change. I do not recall this video showing the filter being changed. Would you mind sharing the video or videos you watched? I am very interested in comparing. Thank you for you input.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I am way overdue for an tranny oil change. I do not recall this video showing the filter being changed. Would you mind sharing the video or videos you watched? I am very interested in comparing. Thank you for you input.
It's been several months since I was doing the research and don't remember what videos I've watched. The filter is not in the transmission pan on these CVT's like on conventional automatic transmissions but is a cartridge filter inside a housing on the side of the transmission. There are also magnets in the transmission pan to collect wear metals so, I plan to also remove the pan and clean them. Doing all this on the first drain/fill should give me a better idea of what needs to be done on future changes. You can pull up the factory service manual for some models here. https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I did not realize the filter was outside the tranny. I better do way more reseach before I attempt this. i do appreciate the info.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If I remember correctly there's a diagram of the CVT transmission in the factory service manual that will show where the filter is located. I either found it in the service manual or on a diagram somewhere on the internet and am not sure which. After buying my Versa in Feb. 2019 and finding out about the problems Nissan has with them I started doing research so I'd be prepared when the time came to change the fluid/filter. I've already got fluid in the garage to change mine but still need to to buy a new filter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If it's too much trouble to get to the filter, I wouldn't worry about it. Just changing the fluid itself will go a long way. Unless your trans fluid is burnt up or the level got low, it should be able to do its job and lubricate the moving parts well enough to prevent any significant quantities of metal particles. If your trans filter ever gets clogged, you've got something else wrong with the transmission.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anyone had to add fluid to their CVT Trans? If so, how challenging was it? I wanna make sure I do not cause issues by over filling it if I need to add tranny fluid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts