Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2012 S 5sp and feel like the slowest car on the road.
At red lights I am always far behind the car in front of me when the light changes as I row through the gears. I shift into 2nd at 15 then 3rd at 30, 4th at 40, 5th at 50 and don't floor it.
Do you guys floor it and try to keep up or just lay back and enjoy the 45mpg.
LOL

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a 2012 S 5sp and feel like the slowest car on the road.
At red lights I am always far behind the car in front of me when the light changes as I row through the gears. I shift into 2nd at 20 then 3rd at 40 then 5th at 45 and don't floor it.
Do you guys floor it and try to keep up or just lay back and enjoy the 45mpg.
LOL
I don't have a manual Versa but the same thing should apply to it as it did my GT. Rev high enough so when you kick it into gear you can go into second right away and take off, you can get a good start doing that and well you wouldn't really have to worry about burnout in a Versa not enough HP lol.

If you want to keep up with ppl too another trick is when you are down-shifting before you release the clutch you give your car a little gas so when you lock into gear you won't have lost so much power during the shift. It takes practice but works great in inclines, and when you decide you want a burst of speed to pass someone.

This may help.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
In the words of the immortal Jeremy Clarkson.. "POWER!!!"

I drive it like I stole it :)

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
When the car has been sitting in cold weather for a long period of time, then yes I feel like Kit is the snail on the road.

Generally though, I just push the pedal down and go ... definitely is one reason why my mileage is horrible, hahaha!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Yes, I definitely feel my Versa is the slowest car on the road.... but then again, if I wanted a fast car I wouldn't have bought a Versa!

I don't have a manual Versa but the same thing should apply to it as it did my GT. Rev high enough so when you kick it into gear you can go into second right away and take off, you can get a good start doing that and well you wouldn't really have to worry about burnout in a Versa not enough HP lol.

If you want to keep up with ppl too another trick is when you are down-shifting before you release the clutch you give your car a little gas so when you lock into gear you won't have lost so much power during the shift. It takes practice but works great in inclines, and when you decide you want a burst of speed to pass someone.
How to Heel and toe, rev match, and double clutch - YouTube

This may help.
Please, nobody listen to that video. That guy is a retard.

Couple things... He wasn't heel-toeing. He was using the side of his foot. Totally different. For Versa drivers... you physically cannot heel-toe a versa. It is difficult to heel-toe any car that doesn't have a bottom hinged gas pedal.

At least he says a double clutch isn't necessary.

If you get a jerking motion when shifting (up or down) then get an automatic, you clearly don't know how to drive standard.

As for rev matching, it is for RWD race cars. They match revs on downshifts so they don't lock up the rear wheels in a corner. Totally unnecessary in a FWD car period, and especially so in a street car.

As any racing instructor will tell you, "brake to go slower, downshift to go faster." (something the instructor in my class said, as have others my friends have taken).

You can't spin a FWD car (and probably won't spin any rwd street car either) by not rev matching.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I feel that way during summer but not winter my loves the cold air but seems to lag more the hotter it gets.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
The car is only as slow as you drive it. Everyone has different style, some like the rush, some just want to conserve their mpgs. Me, I'm a mixer of both. When I want to go I punch it, it's just a matter of how good you are at shifting. And when I want to reserve gas I just cruise, who cares about what others on the road say or think.

G

·
I find that my versa is zippy also,,and you have to understand it is what it is,,its not meant to be a fast car,,although you can do things to give it more power,,it has its limits,,but it does have the most power in its class,,I just cruise in mine,,I drive 100 miles a day,,it does exactly what it is supposed to do,,and it can be somewhat sporty at the same time

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ziggy is an auto, however.... She is zippy!
I had a nissan sentra '06 before her. A 1.8, and she was sloooow.
My versa has enough power to get me going fast without getting into trouble.
And if I feel the need to leave people in the dust at a stop light, I drop her into 1 (first) and shift her that way. I have had on guy look at me and scratch his head. LMBO! :thumb2:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I do floor it a bit more than usual since I lopped off the muffler:Dbut it only "sounds fast" lol, a Versa is a Versa, so I usually don't drive it like a Skyline:)and enjoy the mpgs

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.