Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious as to what you guys think. I hear tonnes of opinions about this. Some say dont do one because it may do more harm than good some say do them.

My Nissan versa has 120km on it and has never had a transmission flush, pan dropped or filter replaced.

Do you think I should do anything to it?

·
Registered
106 Posts
You are correct. There are many opinions about this.

My first opinion regarding Transmission fluid changes, either flushed or just drain and fill is to use the OEM fluid. In this case the specific Nissan transmission fluid. This is 50 times more important if your tranny is the CVT. I know others report changing out their fluids for some aftermarket product and they will say it has worked well for a few months or even a year or two. Why risk long term performance on a $3k+ tranny trying to save $10 on an off the shelf fluid from the parts store?

If you are not doing the work yourself, go the Nissan dealership and have the flush or drain and fill done. Especially if you have the CVT.

Personally on my own Versa: I have the 4 speed automatic. I do a drain and fill once a year which is about every 10k miles. It usually takes a few ounces shy of four quarts. There is a drain plug. I haven't considered dropping the pan. I do not know if there is a servicable filter to replace if you did drop the pan. You will need a funnel with a small diameter tube to fit in the dipstick/fill tube. The job is very simple and cheap. I have no idea how the job is on the CVT.

I own and maintain five cars in the family fleet. I have not had a tranny failure in over thirty years of driving and have never had a transmission flushed, only drain and fills performed by me. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Garage recommend it every 50K kilometers not sure about the miles conversion, but that is on average. Depends of the color or smell of your transmission fluid i guess.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Service manual calls for it at 30k miles. I just had mine done and don't see why you shouldn't. I'd rather be safe and keep it maintained than sorry. Mine ran me about $90 USD at the dealership.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts