Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I’ve been trying to get used to shifting my manual nissan versa. I also have a 1994 Honda Accord manual. I haven’t got used to the clutch/shifting pattern of the versa. I’m guessing because it’s a smaller engine, and also geared lower than my accord. The 1st gear on the versa seems to be pointless unless stopped on a hill. But if i’m at a red light where the land is flat i’ll take off in 2nd gear. it seems to work out great and doesn’t lug the engine since it’s geared so much lower than most cars. Just wanting to know everyone else’s opinions? This is a 2019, so i definitely want to know the do’s and don’ts to keep my car running as long as possible.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I once bought an early '60s Olds with the rare all aluminum engine in it that had a 3 speed MTX with first gear torn up. Bought for $300 and drove it like that for 4 years with only two gears, the car was light and did it pretty easy. Sold it later for $400. It ran then as good as it did when I bought it.

The low gears in today's multiple speed MTX are to get the car rolling only, the second is often still lower than the low you had back then.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I am anticipating that once the OP gets used to the trans and shifter he will eventually begin to use the first gear anyway. No hurry if it makes things easier.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've sometimes use 2nd gear for taking off in cars currently own or that I've had in the past that had taller gearing than the Versa. I'm doubtful if you can properly drive a manual transmission it will increase clutch wear. I also often skip gears. If I start off in 1st I may follow up with 3rd then to 5th. If I start in 2nd I may follow up with 4th then to 5th. The last clutch I had replaced had 260K miles at replacement. The same car had that replacement clutch in it when I quit driving the car. The replacement clutch had about 220K miles and was still doing great. My Versa has a CVT but my brother had a manual Versa having ridden in it I wouldn't think twice about using 2nd on takeoff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts