Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Versa Hatchback...

I have no idea what the electrical connection is to all this... but in a car where if the passenger side door lock goes out, you also cannot open the hatch... anything is possible.

I left my dog in my car and he chewed the driver's side seat belt connector right off. I'm talking about the part that you plug the seat belt into in the middle of the console by the parking brake. Now the car will not idle right, and it seems the rear brakes are stuck on. The parking brake is not engaged, I've pulled it and released it several times and the light on the dash "BRAKE" does go out.

But now the car will not idle and stalls at stop lights (pissing off drivers behind me)... and when I get home, the back brakes are smoking.

So... what kind of engineering masterpiece did Nissan do that routed these items through the seat belt connector? There are bare wires showing from where he chewed the connector completely off. So, I assume there is something in the wiring connected to the engine running like crap if the seta belt connector gets chewed off by a dog???

Yes, I can assume this... I have one of the cars that... when the passenger side door lock goes out, the hatchback won't open. I figure if they have one completely stupid electrical engineering design, then there must be some connection to the seat belt connector being gone and the car running sluggish and not idling right. Before he chewed the seat belt connector, the car ran super fine. In fact it has 195,000 miles on it and I just took a road trip from Florida to Michigan without a hitch.

Anyone ever have anything like this happen... or know if there is some connection to the seat belt connector wiring and the engine not idling???

Thanks,

John
Mystical Electrical Systems Versa Owner

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't know if this works on Japanese cars... but I did the ol' "reset the parking brake" thing like I would have on an older American car...

• Put it in reverse
  • As its going in reverse, slam on the brakes
Used to be this would reset the parking brake on older USA cars... no idea if Nissan ever thought of this... just went out in the driveway and did this... I need to drive a couple block in about an hour, I'll let you know if that reset the parking brake. I am going to guess it did not, because it seems anything that goes wrong with these newer cars is an immediate trip to the mechanic, and $100 just to drive into his parking lot... ugh...

Its been a great car so far... but its a complete coincidence that the same time my dog chews off the seat beat connector that it totally pukes out and won't idle... but I suspect it is another Japanese electrical wiring woop dee doo...

·
Registered
143 Posts
The first thing to do is look under the seat. You will see 2 wire connectors there. Disconnect the one closest to the console, or the one on the left as you are looking at it. That will get rid of the short you currently have.

Also, the dog might have chewed other things as well. Take a very thorough look at everything. especially around the pedals.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yeah, I would agree, the seat belt thing has nothing to do with sluggishness and rear brakes. Something else has happens to the car.
Jack the car up (safely), get both rear wheels off the ground and confirm they are hard to spin. Sezed rear brakes will lead to sluggishness.

Now for the seat belt thing, Are you saying you dog chew the buckle off the shoulder strap?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
scarecrow: no, not the shoulder strap, the other end, he completely chewed the part at the console end near the parking brake. - the car was running super until I pulled in the parking lot, left my dog in the car, and he totally destroyed the seat belt connector. there were no issues prior at all with the brakes smoking/sticking or the engine not idling. The way Nissan does wiring, I have no doubt it is something to do with the wiring inside the seat belt connector (at the consoleparking brake handlke side, not the should harness side) that the dog destroyed.

Keith: since he has chewed the seat belt connector, there are 2 bare wires showing there... also, he chewed it to the bare metal, that is all that's showing now. No plastic thing to attach the seat belt to anymore. Are you thinking by those connections inside the seat belt connector being exposed, that is somehiow causing a short?

I will try to get some pictures, that might help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pertaining to doing what I thought would be a "parking brake reset" that did nothing to change the brakes from being stuck. I just drove about a mile or so, and when I pulled in, the back brakes were smoking. This was not happening before the doig chewed off the seat belt connector.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Like mentioned, I would start by separating and taping off the bare wires if you can't back trace these wires to a connector you can just disconnect.

Then I would check for blown fuses.

With body control modules, you won't know how a short in one area can effect other circuits unless you can reference a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ahh, ok, so he chewed the end attached to the seat near the parking brake. I got ya.

<Typing out loud here>
So the Emergency break is a physical mechanical unit, so I don't think that's the issue. Unless it's somehow locked up, and that would be a really odd conquincidence

I Iike Keith's idea, and unplug that one connector.
We need to find you a wiring diagram. I'm just surprised that the seat-belt is somehow keeping the back brakes seized. I didn't think the versa was that advance or fancy :)

Get us some pictures, I got see this!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Keith: since he has chewed the seat belt connector, there are 2 bare wires showing there... also, he chewed it to the bare metal, that is all that's showing now. No plastic thing to attach the seat belt to anymore. Are you thinking by those connections inside the seat belt connector being exposed, that is somehiow causing a short?
Yes it may very well likely be happening.
These are the wire connectors under the drivers seat. You want to disconnect the white one on the left.That is the wire connector for the seat belt. Do not touch the yellow one!!
That one is for the airbag in the seat.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ahh, ok, so he chewed the end attached to the seat near the parking brake. I got ya.

<Typing out loud here>
So the Emergency break is a physical mechanical unit, so I don't think that's the issue. Unless it's somehow locked up, and that would be a really odd conquincidence

I Iike Keith's idea, and unplug that one connector.
We need to find you a wiring diagram. I'm just surprised that the seat-belt is somehow keeping the back brakes seized. I didn't think the versa was that advance or fancy :)

Get us some pictures, I got see this!

He can get the full service manuals from that other site......

·
Registered
143 Posts
Like mentioned, I would start by separating and taping off the bare wires if you can't back trace these wires to a connector you can just disconnect.

Then I would check for blown fuses.

With body control modules, you won't know how a short in one area can effect other circuits unless you can reference a wiring diagram.
Don;t forget the (Semi) Intelligent Power Distribution Module!

·
Registered
143 Posts
As for the back brakes, unless the dog ripped the console to shreds, I highly doubt it is the E-Brake handle or cables.
I would look at the brake pedal, switches and stops(if any), to see if the dog knocked something askew down there.
A good starting point is if the brake lights stay on or not.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Per the '09 service manual if the seat belt stalk itself got chewed in two there are only 2 wires there that determine seat buckle attached or not. An orange wire carries power from the airbag diag module to the belt buckle and when connected it joins a black wire that attaches to a ground. Buckle UNFASTENED is the wires CONNECTED.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A good starting point is if the brake lights stay on or not.
The brake light goes off when the parking brake is disengaged with the handle.

I am taking it to a shop that can put it on a hoist and look at the parking brake cables (tomorrow, Monday)... I don't have any kind of jack, when I bought the car it didn't even come with a spare tire... and I have zero tools and zero mechanical ability... the shop said $60 if its just a stuck parking brake cable... that's the price you pay (could buy a jack for that, LOL) -- but the comments here and a call to a good mechanic has gotten me this far...

I think possibly one of the parking brake cables is stuck... and the engine is struggling against thge brake goiing down the road.

Howbeit the brake light is NOT on... from what I understand, the parking brake will be a "Y" connection of sorts... one cable from the parking brake level in the cockpit... back to a "Y" connection, one leg of each of the "Y'd" cables going to each rear wheel parking brake.

The driver's side back wheel is smoking when I stop (didn't notice the passenger side smoking) -- so my best uneducated guess is the cable going to the driver's side parking brake is stuck... meaning (possibly) the first cable off the brake handle (cockpit side) is good... and the cable going to the passenger side parking brake is good... the problem exists (with the brakes being stuck on anyays) with the driver's side only...

Meanwhile, with 195,000+ miles, maybe the engine is just plain whipped for good...

No idea there, and the mechanic said a $60 diagnosis fee to check the engine...

Like I said (or thought I said)... just driving a car onto a mechanics lot these days is $100+ just to hit the parking lot... and he hasn't done any work on it yet...

Seems like the most common figure for all repairs these days is $1,000... and "oops, we found this is wrong... $1,000"... and then "oops we found this was wrong... $1,000"

I only paid $1,500 cash for the car about a year ago... NOT going the "$3,000 repair route"...

"Oh, wait, sir... your dog chewed the seat belt off... you'll need a new $6,000 engine fix"

NOT gonna happen...

IMHO there are two things that are the biggest rip-offs about automobiles

1) Buying any kind of car stereo (and as soon as you roll the windows down your hi-specs stereo is all a-wash, hahaha)
2) Going to any kind of a car mechanic.

Of course the engineers at all the car manufacturers have now made sure no shade tree mechanic can fix your ride without $20,000 worth of diagnosis machines...... yes, I've been watching... Maybe I need to buy another (gas hog) 1965 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 which, when you popped the hood... there was an engine... no computer anything... and I could almost work on it myself... those were the good ol' days...

I do love my little Versa... if I had the cash money or credit I'd go buy a brand new one right now no hesitation... great cars...

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was not referring to the light on the dash, I was referring to the outside brake lights.
Look around the brake and accelerator pedals. the dog MAY have done damage or knocked something out of whack around the pedals. Just enough to cause a dragging brake.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a few more questions for you John,

Was there any kinda of sluggishness before your seat belt stalk was chewed?
Do you every use the emergency break during your normal daily life?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Keep looking...............based on what I said about the seat belt stalk the dog either chewed on other parts or a coincidental failure of something else. The seat belt thing has nothing to do with the brakes. I would follow post #15.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well... it seems the parking brake issue adjusted itself... so that's no more worries... I assume a rsuty cable got stuck... I have no way to jack it up, so if it ain't broke don't fix it

The engine has 195k miles and I have no idea how long it's been since a tune up...

A drive-by mechanic came by today, slapped in some new plugs and parts, and a very needed valve cover gasket...

...Holy Crap... runs like a raped ape now...

I can't explain the timing of doggy chewing and brakes sticking and sluggish running... none of it matches...

Best thing is... for the price of 4 spark plugs and 4 ignition coils, she runs like a brand new car. Gotta LOVE a Nissan. It now has more horsepower than I've ever seen in it since I bought it a year ago for $1,500 (yes, what a deal)...

Next thing is the rear hatch not opening... That's been the case since I bought it... same guy is gonna stop by and see what he can do for the hatch... jeesh... I won't know how to act with all this horsepower, AND a hatch that works?

IMHO, I'd rather have this car at $1,500 out the door and a couple fix-its, than a Porsche, Corvette or anything fancy and new... I love my old scratched, got a d4nt in the top for a tree falling on it, dog chewed the seat belt off... 2009 Nissan Versa... best car I've ever owned... If this one should completely fail someday, I go out and buy another one just like it (propbably newer next time)

Yay, Nissan...

(from a guy that grew up in Michigan and was brain-washed to think "Union Made in America" most of my life... )

My family would send out an assassin if they knew I owned a Japanese car, haha... I never communicate with them and never will... and they never call, write, visit or acknowledge my existence... My first anything car other than American made (due to a lifelong of brain-washing by unionized workers)

Best car I'bve ever owned, bar none... 195,000+ miles and still going strong... hell yeah

·
Registered
982 Posts
I'd be careful with the absolute black or white polarity that is dripping off of you right now, the entire world of gray in between being overlooked has a gross tendency to catch up with you and it's often very ugly when it does.........just sayin'.

I've worked on all car lines and Nissan is no better than any others and oftentimes much worse they all have positions similar to that.

And transferring that so quickly to the family relationship, brother, you may need some help.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Now to fix the buckle. If you have a u-pull-it or recycler nearby, get one from there. It will be a significant cost saving. Easier to get from a u-pull-it, as a recycler may want you to buy the whole seat.
You can use one from any manual seat Nissan, and they could be from either the driver or passenger seat. I would stick with Versa and Sentra.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts