Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a huge concern and battle going on with Nissan Canada. My 2012 Versa SL hatchback needed its driver door actuator replaced not once, not twice but THREE times in six years! The entire actuator assembly needed to be replaced each time. The problem each time the inside door handle failed was a small cable. The warranty expired just before the first door failure. One Nissan dealer in Calgary that I took my car to opened up the door and gave me a diagnosis and estimate. They didn't put the door back together properly so I refused to use them to order the part and fix my door.
I have corresponded with Nissan Canada for the last three weeks. I sent my third actuator failure part along with a letter of my dismay and all my receipts for the replacements.
First reply from Nissan Canada was a standard:
"Thank you for contacting Nissan Canada regarding the door lock actuator on your 2012 Versa. We apologize for any inconvenience this situation may have caused you.
Nissan manufactures vehicles and parts to stringent quality standards. There are numerous factors that can affect the performance and life span of certain components. We cannot estimate the longevity of any components and other items of a consumable nature, as it can vary widely from one vehicle to another. As such the New Vehicle Limited Warranty has been put in place.
Regrettably, once the warranty has expired Nissan Canada is unable to assist with reimbursing for replaced components. We have documented your comments and your feedback will be provided to the appropriate parties for consideration of future product planning.
Thank you for the opportunity to respond."
I wrote to them about my THREE door actuators but I only kept the last one to send. I immediately sent a reply to dismiss their canned response about "warranty expired".
Since then, I had to send another email to light a fire under someone because my initial reply seemed to fall on deaf ears. I threatened to take more action on social media. I received a phone call soon after.
Nissan Customer Care was on the phone and I had to explain everything all over again. The lovely lady, Cheryl, was not apprised of the situation at all. She wasn't aware that I sent the door actuator along with my letter and supporting receipts. I had to offer up a case number - she didn't think to ask for one. I was given some excuses that most staff are working from home and that they wouldn't have had mailed in car parts on their radar.
Cheryl promised me that they would search for my package and review it.
Meanwhile, I posted my situation in a Nissan Canada Facebook thread. I received a reply in the comments to Private Message back and explain my concerns. Here we go again. After a few bubble paragraphs the last one from them was: "Fantastic! We have escalated your case to our team." Which team? Escalated to whom? I thought my concern has already been "escalated".
I received a voicemail from Cheryl that the Quality Assurance Team and Technical Engineering Group will examine my defective part but "there won't be any further outcome" due to "the parameters of the case".
Now my blood is boiling. What recourse do I have? Why in the hell is it okay to disregard THREE faulty door actuators? A small cable is the culprit and but the whole actuator assembly is required to fix it at $325.00 a pop plus labour?

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you're outside of warranty, there is no recourse. These parts break on all types of cars. Just buy a used part or aftermarket one and bring it somewhere that will install it for a better price if you want to save money.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

·
Registered
538 Posts
The junkyard will be your new friend! Pull a few off and you will have spares, and still not come close to the cost of a new one.

·
Registered
471 Posts
OP, if you get a spare one, look if it is possible to reinforce the weak piece of actuator, maybe with epoxy or some other type of a glue mixed with a filler...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts