Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is like 97 degrees out now in Orlando Fl, my Gf just passed by my job and showed me that her drivers door handle literally fell apart. The keyhole cover was glued on with this nasty tar like crap. And the pin that holds the door handle in place seems to have come off and the door handle literally came apart. WTF nissan>?!

We got this car used and its seen many hot days, I wonder if today was the last straw and the crap glue nissan uses just melted. ( I am still trying to remove it from my hands).

Anyone else with this issue?!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I am thinking of setting some quick setting epoxy (gorilla epoxy) and glue to keyhole cover back. This time it wont melt with heat. Also I dont think it was a half ass since today isn't the first time the sun get about a mile away from where we live.

I am taking her door apart as soon as I get home from work. Since the internals are exposed and I am sure someone can try to open the door that way from the outside.

·
Registered
690 Posts
This means the torx bolt securing the section of the handle that holds the lock cylinder/stays stationary isn't in there. That "glue" is really just a gasket or vibration isolator. It isn't glued on. On the inside of the frame of the door just below the glass will be a plastic cover. This is an access port for taking that bolt out. Perhaps the cylinder or actuator assembly was replaced and not put together right. The long portion of the handle assembly, the one you pull on, can't fall off because the door latch release cable tension keeps it in/on the door. Let me know if you need a pic of the handle assembly, i have a Versa handle assembly laying around, so you can better understand. You can get in from the inside by prying out the window switch housing/trim piece with a plastic trim stick, then get the door skin off the metal track at the top of the door by lifting and pulling. Then pry out all the trim clips.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Versa door handle fell off

This is a known issue.
The first time it happened to my 2009 Versa was right after being serviced at the dealership. They replaced it under warranty. (Replacement was not necessary and I feel that it was a waste of Nissan resources.) The second time, about one year later, I reassembled it myself. The third time I applied the permanent fix found here;

Door handle fell off, what the ??? : Versa Technical Discussions

After installing a $0.03 cotter pin I have had NO problems what so ever with the door handle. I do warn anyone wanting to do this that it is tricky to line the hole up to be drilled. I recommend using a hot nail or wire to start it or the drill bit will wander on the plastic. Or make some sort of jig out of a piece of scrap wood.

I will also upload CAPTINDON777’s instructions as a separate PDF file in case the above link fail to work in the future.

·
Registered
1 Posts
'08 door handle fell off today.

Lock cover fell off 6 months ago. I knew it was a matter of time.
I have literally no money to fix this. I still have the handle and it looks fine. Can I put it back on by myself. I am not a mechanic and following Caption777 post looks so confusing to me.

So sad and depressed. Spent over 5,000 on car repairs since Jan. Every car I buy is crappy. :frown

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.