Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I drive a 6sp versa, but I hate the fact that the gears are so close. I don't mind city driving but when it comes to highway I hate that I have to drive in 6th gear the whole way, according to the manual anyways. So my questions is has anyone driven their versa in 5th gear, say 60-65 mph in highway without any issues. I'm asking because the manual says the safe gear change is 50 mph to carry to 6th gear. I don't want to stress the trany or anything, but I like having that extra gear that I can swift up when I need it, you know what I mean. Sorry if i'm not making too much sense but this is my first manual trany car, not too mentioned first new car ever too :) thanks

·
Registered
377 Posts
I don't have a 6 speed but I'd say if you wanna downshift to pass someone on the freeway go for it. You'll use more gas but whatever. I disable the O/D on my CVT when I need the oomf for passing.

·
Registered
656 Posts
i always end up down shifting...5th can get speeds up there

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
First, leaving it in 5th is going to use more gas. The engine has to rev higher to keep the car going highway speeds. Second, I don't understand your line of reasoning on wanting to have another gear to shift up? If you want to accelerate... you down shift. Not up.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
So I drive a 6sp versa, but I hate the fact that the gears are so close. I don't mind city driving but when it comes to highway I hate that I have to drive in 6th gear the whole way, according to the manual anyways. So my questions is has anyone driven their versa in 5th gear, say 60-65 mph in highway without any issues.
With my Topaz, I drove back from South Carolina to Ontario in fourth gear, cuz it couldn't make it up the mountains, and would run away down the other side! No issues at all in fourth gear after hours and hours at 70mph+. I think V will be fine.
With 6 gears, they are close together, especially when in 6th the engine still doing 2800rpm at 100km/h! I end up relying on 3rd and 4th to get on the highway, then skip to 6th. There was also a bit of adjustment knowing which gear to be in for my favourite on/off ramps:D Drove 5sp for years, plus 4sp 72 Datsun and 79 Rabbit. So if you ignore some of your gears, you're not alone!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like I stated, this is my first ever manual car so when you guys talk about down shifting I really have no clue what that means even tho I hear the phrase too often. Sorry if I sound like a dumna** but LIKE I SAID is my first time driving stick.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
downshifting is going from higher gear to a lower gear. So say 6th to 5th. Two reasons for doing this is engine braking, meaning slowing the car down via the engine instead of the brakes. Or the other reason is to speed up, since down shifting will raise the RPM's which creates more power you are able to step on the gas and go faster as opposed to just leaving it in the same gear and pressing the gas.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
See, now that makes sense. Although I think I'll just retain myself from doing so, do to fear of screwing up the tranny. Maybe when I become more familiar with the car. Thanks guys, this helps.

·
Registered
643 Posts
First, leaving it in 5th is going to use more gas. The engine has to rev higher to keep the car going highway speeds. Second, I don't understand your line of reasoning on wanting to have another gear to shift up? If you want to accelerate... you down shift. Not up.
this. learn to downshift! :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
ya, brakes are for slowing the car down, not the engine. i do downshift, but not to the point where the revs will increase by 2grand. not good for the trans.
(response in regard to stopping, not downshifting to pass.)

·
Banned
455 Posts
ya, brakes are for slowing the car down, not the engine. i do downshift, but not to the point where the revs will increase by 2grand. not good for the trans.
(response in regard to stopping, not downshifting to pass.)
This is true. If you can't rev match when down shifting u will mess things up over time

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
377 Posts
Downshifting for engine breaking is pretty pointless unless you're dealing with some serious hills...the costs of wear on the brake pads and even rotors is going to be much cheaper than any potential engine/transmission damage or wear.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
I engine break. I'll let you guys no if it causes a problem. I'm at 71k miles, my pads look brand new and the engine seems to be holding up great. Using the engine to break does raise the RPM's a bit. I don't engine break and let my engine go up to 5k or anything. Usually ends up being around 4k, maybe little more. With a redline in the 6's I think this should be ok.

Reason for engine breaking for me is that the injectors shut off while doing this. That means zero gas is being used. If I were to be in neutral a tiny bit of gas would be used to keep the idle. I don't engine break when I know I can coast and get a greater distance. I do it everyday on a steep hill where there is traffic on the bottom so I have to come to a stop. And I do it coming off of the highway.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
rev matching is matching the engine RPM's to the RPM's of the transmission. Basically you tap the gas before you downshift and release the clutch. It makes the downshift much smoother and is less of a shock on the engine and tranny. The 370z actually has a built in rev match feature.

I have to rev match in my car or else I'll grind 5th gear. Since I coast alot when I'm on the highway I will pop her in neutral sometimes. Well ever since new if I try and put it back into 5th gear it will just grind. So I have to tap the throttle so the engine speed matches the tranny speed and then it goes in smooth as butter.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
i usually come down Niagara Escarpment in 4th or 5th, unless it's Mtn Rd in Grimsby, i use 2nd! i always rev match/double clutch

1 - 20 of 31 Posts