Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Versa hatchback/ 4 speed automatic transmission/ with around 165000 miles. It started making a whomp, whomp, whomp noise like a flat spot on the front tire, the tires needed replacement so I put 4 new tires on, no help. Changed front wheel bearings, no help, boot on left trans-axle bad so replaced trans-axle, no help, listened to transmission and differential and all bearings with mechanic's stethoscope, carrier bearing on right trans-axle making noise, changed trans-axle, no help. Noise louder when drifting at low speed. Also changed auto transmission fluid. Has anyone had similar experience of have any ideas on what is going on?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Does turning make a difference? I'm assuming it's rotational and changes with speed and rpm? Not sure what whomp whomp sounds like though, any other ways to describe it? Not a scraping noise? Not much else there that rotates.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does turning make a difference? I'm assuming it's rotational and changes with speed and rpm? Not sure what whomp whomp sounds like though, any other ways to describe it? Not a scraping noise? Not much else there that rotates.
turning makes no difference, another way to describe it would be a helicopter like sound, it does change with speed so yes it is a rotational noise.

·
Registered
763 Posts
There are only 3 things I can think of that would possibly make that kind of noise.
1- Tire with slipped belt.
2- Out of balance brake rotor, or brake rotor striking pad.
3- Failing CV axles/ joints.

Have you also looked at the rear axle? Sometimes sounds translate strangely.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've heard people describe wheel bearings this way before. We're these press in or bolt in bearings? If press, the new bearing may have gotten damaged during install. If you are certain it's coming from the front, get both wheels off the ground and spin watch tire while holding the coil spring with your hand. If there's a bad bearing, you'll feel it. Compare both sides.

I know the tires are new, but try moving them to the back. There aren't a lot of parts that rotate with road speed, so it's gotta be one of those or an axle. I'm going with bearing though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts