Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a guy who is the manager of the maintenance dept. at a large Nissan dealer in Texas. He stated to me that Versa's are coming in left and right with total engine failure. He claims the oil is perfect, the maintenance is perfect, and there is no noticeable reason for the failures. Some of the common things for these failures are engines under 15k miles, all newer engines (2009+) and 1.8's.
Apparently 1.6's are ok. All transmission types are affected. Ive got the conversation pieced together in paint but cant figure out how to resize it. lol
I'll try to edit and add it later, but ive got an appointment for the car to get to.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I don't know how the 09 MR's are affected and not the 08's? I did not know of any engine change between the years. Please post up more info.

BTW HR16DE FTW! Seems to be a great little engine.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
No, nissan should have or just kept the QG18DE that came in the B15 sentras i personally dont like the MR series motors.
Oh I gotcha and I agree.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think this might be a false alarm, something to spread havoc with no legitimate proof. How about this. Mogh, come up with an article or something other than a good friend, okay, because until then this is unwarranted and not backed up with anything. Off the record, The MR series engines have no low end torque. For this reason alone, don't even bother trying to eek out power unless you turbo the engine. In my opinion, this engine might be ideal for turbos because of low end torque and compression. High compression turbo engines are great on the short run, but the engines burn up quicker. My feeling is that the chassis was built around the engine. The qg engines wouldn't fit in the cramped engine compartment. Ciao.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nah its all good, I dont mind if he wants to get uptight. Its not propaganda, its a warning. My buddy is a higher up and after much discussion he asked not to be named. I will tell you he works for Trophy Nissan in Dallas Texas. He contacted me again and told me it was people who go with the 7500 mile service plan who have the problems but they still can't pin down a reason.

Bluvee, if you'd like to work at it, I can send the screenshots of the convo and you can resize and all that. Don't be a hater bro, I'm just trying to give a heads up.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Nah its all good, I dont mind if he wants to get uptight. Its not propaganda, its a warning. My buddy is a higher up and after much discussion he asked not to be named. I will tell you he works for Trophy Nissan in Dallas Texas. He contacted me again and told me it was people who go with the 7500 mile service plan who have the problems but they still can't pin down a reason.

Bluvee, if you'd like to work at it, I can send the screen-shots of the convo and you can resize and all that. Don't be a hater bro, I'm just trying to give a heads up.
okay i can understand that, worked ter at one point in time didn't care for some of the management at all. but if he is saying the 7500 mile service interval plan i certainly do hope that they are putting in synthetic oil or blend, regular oil can't hold up properly down here on that plan and if i remember correctly they use 10w30 for everything especially when manufacture specs call for 5w30, and 10w30 as an alternate. hmmm something just doesn't seem right here.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You know, the synthetic question never came up. I'll have to ask him next time I see him.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
nissan does not specify synthetic in the manual with the 7500 change. I go that route but I do use synthetic. I could only assume nissan meant reg oil if they do not call out syn.

·
Registered
330 Posts

Bluvee, if you'd like to work ater again. it, I can send the screenshots of the convo and you can resize and all that. Don't be a hater bro, I'm just trying to give a heads up.
The jury is still out on the MR series engines. Nissan went to great lengths to make this next generation engine great. You will always hear about the blown engines, but you never hear about the other 99% that don't have problems. It's a pattern with this and other V forums that people introduce themselves and then you don't hear from most of them ever again.I am not angry. I have the car I want and an engine that will possibly get me to my first ssi check. Ciao.

·
Banned
1,206 Posts
hmm.... i dont know about this one... i have a bunch of friends that work for Nissan dealerships here in SoCal and i have never heard of any Versas coming in with engine failure.... must be a Texas thing i guess....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Versa engine failure

I have 2009 versa SL 25,000miles. My engine started making valve noise only in the morning and would last until the engine was warm I took it to dealer In San Juan capo. They called me and told me the engine needs replacing. Oil change every 3000 to 3500 miles always. Freeway driving around 2600rpm's.
Something about 2 and 3 cyl bearings and rings.
They put in a new long block. Nissan up-ed the warrenty to 100,000mile on the engine. They were very supportive.
I sure hope it last i'm not one to trade cars alot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes they did. All between 2800 to 3500 miles between. They were very supportive. Replaced with a long block in 1 1/2 days. Fast. It wasn't that noisey but was louder in early morning startup in so cal area. I can't imagine being in the north east with this issue. I hope this last!!!!

·
Registered
656 Posts
think if i talk to one of the techs enough and my engine goes out at 25,000mi, think i could convince him to drop the 2.0 in or maybe the juke engine hahah

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.