Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this website while researching on the HR16DDT. Looks promising, but can someone tell me how this will help us? They mentioned MR18 & MR20 and a small engine displacement package. What does all this mean? I have little to no knowledge when it comes to engines, that's why I'm asking.

Engine Development

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
there is no HR16DDT. There is an MR16DDT though and that is what is in the juke and the pulsar SSS. Before the engine was released everyone thought it was going to be based off of nissan's HR series.

Displacement is the size of the engine for example your car has a displacement of 1.8 liters. I am unsure what they mean by a small displacement package. Maybe parts to make the engine smaller or larger.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm sure they meant MR16, but anyhow. So that's what that means, from what they already offer on the SR, QR, and VQ series I hope they do something good with the MR series. That would be something to look forward to. Thanks Rob

·
Registered
690 Posts
Looks like they might be offering build kits for the MR motors soon then. That would be nice. I'm anxious to see the MR motors get developed by the aftermarket more. Everybody here seems to think forced induction is the only way to squeeze HP out of these motors. Frankly i think getting the most out of the motor and finding bottlenecks and inefficiencies in the MR/HR motors must be done first, whereever those bottlenecks lie, conservative factory cams, ignition timing, port size and valve size etc. Has anyone looked into getting a cam regrind? I'm sure any one of the larger cam regrind companies would regrind a cam, adding lift wouldn't be too hard. These motors were built with a balance between economy, "sufficient" performance, and good NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) levels. Turboing or supercharging a small compact like the Versa costs alot of money, especially with cars that use a head where the exhaust exits towards the firewall. If people are seeing dyno gains with headers, CAI, and cat backs of 15 or 20HP, improving head flow should REALLY open these motors up and work together with those mentioned mods.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I found this website while researching on the HR16DDT. Looks promising, but can someone tell me how this will help us? They mentioned MR18 & MR20 and a small engine displacement package. What does all this mean? I have little to no knowledge when it comes to engines, that's why I'm asking.

Engine Development
Great find. They hopefully will be a great resource.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Also, how much power can these trans handle comfortably?

nobody really knows yet, but we do have another member (NecosNote) that is installing a 100 shot nitrous system into his Note which has the HR16DE motor, but he also has a manual transmission so no one really know how much the CVT transmission can handle yet, but hopefully NecosNote can provide us some real information on how much the engine can handle. My Note has a CVT, however, and it has been reptty solid as far as adding any HP to it it so far, but i only have an air intake so far that saw a 4whp increase over stock, that is until my car goes back in for some more R&D work this coming week at Tanabe.

·
Registered
690 Posts
You know, the wording is key here. By small displacement packages, it means packages for small displacement motors such as MR20 etc.

Manual is always going to be more robust, cheaper and easier to fix too.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Basic add ons should not be an issue but once you start adding 30% plus more output then I'm worried about clutch & axles. The way i beat my car the clutch already starts slipping so i can just imagine the automatic guys, your clutches really won't last

·
Registered
690 Posts
Well, Jims 08 Sentra MR20DE is turbo'ed and i believe he has built the motor too (not sure if just top end stuff or bottom end too), i think he makes at least over 300WHP and he has a CVT or a conventional hydraulic automatic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.