Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as most of you know I have the 1.6. The epa rated this gem at 34mpg highway and I just have to laugh at that. I have never gotten that low as long as I've owned it. But today I achieved my personal best. I traveled 409 miles and it only took 10.30 gallons to refill. My calculations put that at 39.70 mpg. This tank included AC use, 80+ mph, and even playing on the highway with my brother in his automatic 3000gt. That thing supposedly has 222hp but even my brother admitted my 1.6 was holding it's own.

I'm just so excited about the mpgs on this car. I'm going to keep this thread as sort of a log for my mpgs. I have more listed somewhere else and will transfer them over.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
375 / 10.325 = 36.32 mpg
379 / 10.320 = 36.72 mpg *80mph+, AC, little more aggressive driving
391 / 10.066 = 38.84 mpg *80+, AC, traffic 2hours+
379 / 11.010 = 34.42 mpg *80+, AC, all highway, loaded car, lots of hills (this was the trip to PA where the weight and hills killed my mpg)
367 / 9.980 = 36.77 mpg *90+, jack rabbit starts, lot of breaking, traffic (drive it like you stole it tank)
391 / 9.880 = 39.57 mpg *80+, normal driving, some traffic, little to no AC
409 / 10.30 = 39.70 mpg *80+, AC, toying with my bro's 3000gt auto

·
Registered
147 Posts
your getting dope MPG bro.

my 1.6 hatch gets around 270 miles to the tank and i usually put close to 10 gallons in it. the best ive done so far is 29 mpg but got as low as 24 for a fill.

i just passed the 1500 mile mark on my car.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have a 1.8l. Totally different engine. The 1.6 definately sips less fuel then the 1.8. I think it has to do more then just displacement as well. Engine just seems more efficient. Or maybe it's the tranny.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
the most mpg i ever got in my 1.8 was 444 miles and then my empty light turned on. i could ahve broke 500 but i had a long trip home and i didn't want to run out of gas on the road

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
miles per tank is not an accurate measurement. You need to figure how many miles you travelled since your last fill up and then divide by how many gallons it takes to refuel.

What was your mpgs for that tank Tango?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
That is awesome!
I babied that tank so bad its not even funny. it drove me nuts cuz i like to drive fast. but i wanted to see how well i could do on the gas mileage without flooring it once. it was tedious haha

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I babied that tank so bad its not even funny. it drove me nuts cuz i like to drive fast. but i wanted to see how well i could do on the gas mileage without flooring it once. it was tedious haha
I drive it like I stole it every tank. I couldn't really imagine driving like a granny the whole tank. Your mileage is probably the most impressive I've seen out of the 1.8.

Lol, ya but that's good mileage.
I usually get about 450-500 KM per tank, and you hit that mark in MILES! That's awesome!
I know I could get 500mpg on a tank. I always fill up when the tank show 1/4 left. I think my gas light only came on once since I've had the car.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
The most MPG I get was traveling to Nebraska on 350 miles a tank from I-25, to I-80 and other major highways throughout the state. About 31-33 MPGs. Everytime I drive around Denver, I get about 275-280 miles a tank about 25 MPGs. I don't know but it's hard to even get about 30 MPG at such a high altitude.

What's weird is the regular unleaded grade around Colorado is rated at 85 octane. Never purchase that crap, I either get 87 octane or 91 for super unleaded.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
i think i have some a pic of me hitting those numbers, atleast i know i do at the halfway mark. ill look for them

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally, the inevitable happened. I cracked the 40+mpg mark. This was prior to the swapping in the synthetic oil. I'm hoping I get consistently over 40mpg with the syn in there. I drove 377 miles and it only needed 9.17 gallons to refill. My gauge was reading just under half a tank and the only reason I filled was because I was taking a trip to the bronx zoo. This was 41.11mpgs.

1.6l Versa FTW!

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I may be on my way to another 40+mpg tank! I have gone 140 miles so far and I'm just at 3/4 of a tank.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Have you ever noticed that you can drive forever on a full tank, but as soon as it starts to come down, the needle drops like a rock. Just saying, my 1st 1/4 tanks lasts WAY longer than the last.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well if you didn't know or you live where it's warm all year around winter MPG's suck. This is due to longer warm up times, oxygenated fuel, and the resistance of driving through snow and such.

At my usual speeds of 70-80mph I was getting 34-35mpg this winter. My summer numbers are on the first page. But I knew I could do better. I decided to change my driving style and plainly just drive slower. I now drive 55-65mph tops.

Before I get into the numbers there are extra benefits to this cruising speed. First off my chances of me and a my passengers surviving a crash is greatly increased. As is my chance for avoiding a crash all together. Second is I don't seem to sit in any traffic. If I see everyone stopped I let off the accelerator and by the time I coast up to the pile it's moving. Which leads me to my next benefit is that I seem to be getting places at just about the same time if only a few minutes slower. This has brought my stress level down a bit. I don't feel rushed and it's actually a very tranquil commute.

Now on to the numbers. I did try driving slow awhile ago and didn't get great results. I think the ECU needed to adapt to my driving style and one tank was not enough. I am now on my 6th tank of this new style and my results are listed below

37.7mpg
38.6mpg
38.5mpg
40.4mpg
434 miles / 10.4 gallons=41.7mpg

I couldn't remember the exact figures for the tanks before the last but my numbers above I'm sure +/- .2mpg. The last tank is 100%

Now keep in mind it's still winter and snow on the ground here. I honestly believe 45mpg is going to be no problem in the spring - fall months and I might even be able to crack 50mpg once this year.

I am in love with my V all over again :).

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have city driving with about 5 hills up and down, and I average about 20-21 mpg on about 220 miles. It seems like the mpg has dropped since new, isnt it suppossed to be the opposite? I used to get around 24-25 when it was new, but not anymore. I get a synthetic blend oil change from the dealer, and I use mid grade gas. So the ECU adapts to ur driving?? Maybe thats why?!?!?

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have city driving with about 5 hills up and down, and I average about 20-21 mpg on about 220 miles. It seems like the mpg has dropped since new, isnt it suppossed to be the opposite? I used to get around 24-25 when it was new, but not anymore. I get a synthetic blend oil change from the dealer, and I use mid grade gas. So the ECU adapts to ur driving?? Maybe thats why?!?!?
Yeah it's suppose to get better. You should definitely get better mpg then you stated. You may need to change your style of driving a bit to get it though. Some people don't care enough though. I drive 30k miles a year. So if I was getting as low as you it would cost me almost $2k more a year in gas at a current price of $2.75 a gallon. That is a good chunk of change and almost what I pay a year for my car payments.

·
Registered
8 Posts
On my 1.8 SL CVT I get about 32-33 MPG so far. I do mostly highway driving to/from work - 55 miles each way, 50 of which is highway.

I keep it at about 75 MPH. I'm sure if I took it down to the speed limit of 65 maybe I'd hit 34 MPG but I feel like a snail if I do that.

Still 32-33 is better than the 26 I was getting in my 9 year old Sentra.

--*Rob

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On my 1.8 SL CVT I get about 32-33 MPG so far. I do mostly highway driving to/from work - 55 miles each way, 50 of which is highway.

I keep it at about 75 MPH. I'm sure if I took it down to the speed limit of 65 maybe I'd hit 34 MPG but I feel like a snail if I do that.

Still 32-33 is better than the 26 I was getting in my 9 year old Sentra.

--*Rob
Very impressive. I wish nissan offered the CVT with the smaller engine. Sometimes I get sick of shifting and the 4speed auto tranny is too old of a design and gas guzzler for me to buy.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.