Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2014 Versa Note. Yesterday it started getting very warm when driving in stop and go traffic with the AC on. If we turn it off and kick the heater on the temp goes down then we turn off the heat and the engine appears to stay normal. I also checked and can’t seem to notice the fan coming in like it’s supposed to.

Anyone experience this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The temp gauge usually sits at or near the middle of the meter. However yesterday it was about 3 bars from the Hot measurement. And the AC stopped blowing cold.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Some things to check/replace, blockage in the radiator, heater core or hoses, air blockage in the cooling system, correct coolant level, correct 50/50 mixture, is the radiator cap holding the correct amount of pressure, is the thermostat stuck in the closed position, leaking water pump, radiator or hose, cooling fan coming on as it should, bad engine coolant temperature sensor, any steam out the tailpipe that would indicate a possible blown head gasket. Start with the easy/cheap stuff unless something else is obvious. Check for leaks, coolant level, correct mixture, radiator cap, thermostat, etc. If the cooling fan isn't coming on as it should it could be a bad fan, fan relay or a bad engine coolant temperature sensor sending incorrect information to the ECU. Just a minor leak in the radiator or a hose can keep the cooling system from holding the correct amount of pressure and increase the likelyhood of overheating. I've personally had radiator caps go bad and thermostats stick in the closed position on other cars over my 40+ years of owning and operating automobiles.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Check coolant level, when they run low the heat comes up and fans sometimes don't come on as the engine temps get relayed much better in fluid than in air from low coolant. If coolant is up then check fan operation, they SHOULD most definitely be on at any hotter than normal temps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so I checked the water pump thermostat fluid levels and the fuses and relays. The car is fine. But if we use the AC the radiator fan does not come on at all. There’s power to the fuse and the relays. Seems like the breakdown is between the relay and the fan. It won’t come on at all.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Someone else post about a week or so ago that the fan in their 2016 had stopped working. They posted about the fix here in these forums. It sounds as if your fan needs to be replaced also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Someone else post about a week or so ago that the fan in their 2016 had stopped working. They posted about the fix here in these forums. It sounds as if your fan needs to be replaced also.
Would that affect the ac compressor coming on and going right back off again while the vehicle is idling? If we’re moving at highway speeds the AC works fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Might want to run a hot/ground wire directly from the battery to the fan plug to see if the fan is good. Most modern cars automatically turn the fan on when the a/c is switched on. I'm one of the worlds worst when it comes to electrical troubleshooting so maybe someone else can give you tips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts