Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2010 versa has a knocking noise. It has about 5900 miles on it, all interstate mileage. It started about 1500 miles ago - the dealership (well, one) stated it was just a nissan. Another said it was "cheap gas" - even though I've only used cheveron or bp. This past weekend, I lost almost all power - I literally had to floor it to keep speed up a slight incline. I have to floor it to get speed on the interstate. Could it be bad gas? Its rather annoying to drive now, and it's really pathetic that our other vehicle (05 focus with 130,000+ miles) drives better and sounds much better than a new car. Any suggestions would be appreciated! :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
run your tank out, then fill up with mid grade and put in some fuel cleaner, if that doesn't work then its the car not the gas. Be firm with Nissan, they can be jerks when it comes to fixing things on their dollar.

·
Registered
63 Posts
reminds me when my catalytic clogged and I blew my engine in my hyundai santa fe. I lost power with the clogged cat. When I gave it more gas, the engine went. Careful how you react to the car's symptoms.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
My 2010 versa has a knocking noise. It has about 5900 miles on it, all interstate mileage. It started about 1500 miles ago - the dealership (well, one) stated it was just a nissan. Another said it was "cheap gas" - even though I've only used cheveron or bp. This past weekend, I lost almost all power - I literally had to floor it to keep speed up a slight incline. I have to floor it to get speed on the interstate. Could it be bad gas? Its rather annoying to drive now, and it's really pathetic that our other vehicle (05 focus with 130,000+ miles) drives better and sounds much better than a new car. Any suggestions would be appreciated! :)
this just happend to me a week ago... I somehow blew a rod in the engine. I tride to accelerate and the car wouldn't go past 15mph with the gas floored to the ground. the knocking will eventually get louder and more noticeable and then something bad will happen, trust me, i just witnessed it... my car has 68k miles. I thought my problem was cheap gas, so i changed that for a thousand miles and also replaced oil, and a week ago my car stalls on the freeway going 70, and will barley turn on. i pulled into the dealer and they said they heard my car down the street with all the clattering in the engine :(

advice, get it checked out ASAP before you get screwed.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
this just happend to me a week ago... I somehow blew a rod in the engine. I tride to accelerate and the car wouldn't go past 15mph with the gas floored to the ground. the knocking will eventually get louder and more noticeable and then something bad will happen, trust me, i just witnessed it... my car has 68k miles. I thought my problem was cheap gas, so i changed that for a thousand miles and also replaced oil, and a week ago my car stalls on the freeway going 70, and will barley turn on. i pulled into the dealer and they said they heard my car down the street with all the clattering in the engine :(

Did Nissan fix anything for you yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts

Wow just outside the warranty period. Do tell us what happens?!? Man I have seen numerous mr18's blow up in the couple years I been on versa forums. Hope the hr16 doesn't suffer the same fate. I mean far as I know I have the highest mileage one at 48k miles so I guess if anyone is going to find out first it's me.

Pray they beefed up things for the mr16ddt in the juke. Can't have weak parts when your force feeding and engine more air from the turbo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
run your tank out, then fill up with mid grade and put in some fuel cleaner, if that doesn't work then its the car not the gas. Be firm with Nissan, they can be jerks when it comes to fixing things on their dollar.
I already know how stingy they can be - my gas cap wouldn't seal (there were 25 error codes on it when the 1st check engine light came on, apparently I'm stupid and can't turn the gas cap, lol) - you would have thought I wanted a new car instead of a replacement gas cap!

And I'm calling the dealership today. Its very sad that everything is so disposable nowadays :(

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I would go to a different dealer to get a second opinion

it would be cool if we could hear what it sounds like.
a ticking sound is not too bad and it could fuel related, but if the engine is making a knocking sound? then we are talking about a bad piston or rod bearing, crank, it could crack the block byebye engine =(
But,
you're under warranty so you have every right to get it fixed at no charge and probably a free rental too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
page 294 on Manual may explain,hope it helps. Mine is new and going crazy too. I brought to dealer for checking and they said nothing wrong with it. My friend thinks I'm just being paranoid too since it's a new car, but I swear, my 9 yrs old Pathy didn't have this much noise.

E–85 fuel
E-85 fuel is a mixture of approximately 85% fuel
ethanol and 15% unleaded gasoline. E-85 can
only be used in a Flexible Fuel Vehicle (FFV). Do
not use E-85 in your vehicle. U.S. government
regulations require fuel ethanol dispensing
pumps to be identified by a small, square, orange
and black label with the common abbreviation or
the appropriate percentage for that region.
Aftermarket fuel additives
NISSAN does not recommend the use of any
aftermarket fuel additives (for example, fuel injector
cleaner, octane booster, intake valve deposit
removers, etc.) which are sold commercially.
Many of these additives intended for gum, varnish
or deposit removal may contain active solvents or
similar ingredients that can be harmful to the fuel
system and engine.
Octane rating tips
Using unleaded gasoline with an octane
rating lower than recommended can cause
persistent, heavy “spark knock.” (“Spark
knock” is a metallic rapping noise.) If severe,
this can lead to engine damage. If you
detect a persistent heavy spark knock even
when using gasoline of the stated octane
rating, or if you hear steady spark knock
while holding a steady speed on level
roads, have a NISSAN dealer correct the
condition. Failure to correct the condition
is misuse of the vehicle, for which NISSAN
is not responsible.
Incorrect ignition timing may result in spark
knock, after-run and/or overheating, which may
cause excessive fuel consumption or engine
damage. If any of the above symptoms are encountered,
have your vehicle checked at a
NISSAN dealer.
However, now and then you may notice
light spark knock for a short time while
accelerating or driving up hills. This is not a
cause for concern, because you get the
greatest fuel benefit when there is light
spark knock for a short time under heavy
engine load.
CAUTION
● Your vehicle is not designed to run on
E-85 fuel. Using E-85 fuel in a vehicle
not specifically designed for E-85 fuel
can damage fuel system components
and is not covered by the NISSAN new
vehicle limited warranty.
● E-85 is a mixture of approximately 85%
fuel ethanol and 15% unleaded
gasoline.
● U.S. government regulations require
ethanol dispensing pumps to be identified
by a small, square, orange and
black label with the common abbreviation
or the appropriate percentage for
that region.
Technical and consumer information 9-5

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
did he fill with e-85? It's kinda hard to do as it's not all that readily available most places and it's usually well documented when it is.

If the dealer is giving you the runnaround go to another. Call nissan corporate and get all these trips documented.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a similar problem, but it wasn't the gas cap.
What was the issue then?

And I ran almost all gas out, got a bottle of fuel system cleaner, and filled up with mid-grade. We drove about 20 or so miles with no change. But something I did notice - the oil is at the "h" mark in the car - is that too high? I'm trying to brainstorm.

And I'll try to make a video of the engine running. And thanks for the suggestions :)

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
very high oil level can cause a sort of frothing of the oil which can lead to air in lifters, which can cause a very loud ticking noise. It won't cause a noticeable power loss like you stated though it can cause a tiny one because of the internals needing to rotate through more oil. It will know make a knocking noise. I think of knocking as knock as like your knuckle on a door and tic more like tapping a pen on the table.

You shouldn't even have to be thinking about this with so few miles. Nissan should be taking care of all of this. It's not normal and a defect obviously. Shame on nissan.

·
Registered
148 Posts
What was the issue then?
Fuel leak check valve. My symptoms were that it would only turn the SES light on at ~75% tank full and would sometimes come and go. The valve would intermitently stick open and make the car think there was a leak. I changed the cap and cleared the codes twice before I made some phone calls and got the right answer.

After I figured out the problem, I took it to my local dealer. They called me an hour later and said it was ready to go. They couldn't find what I said was wrong, so they cleared the codes and made sure the fuel cap was on correctly. The light came back 5 miles from the dealership. I just fixed it myself and had someone clear the codes again.

This has nothing to do with your "knocking" sound though. Mine ran normal. It just constantly showed a fuel system leak.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
What was the issue then?

And I ran almost all gas out, got a bottle of fuel system cleaner, and filled up with mid-grade. We drove about 20 or so miles with no change. But something I did notice - the oil is at the "h" mark in the car - is that too high? I'm trying to brainstorm.

And I'll try to make a video of the engine running. And thanks for the suggestions :)
Here's my engine running, I just made it after I got back from the store
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozm4_luxXeI

so whenever you get a chance to post yours we can compare sounds or does mine sounds like yours? does mine sound OK? Oil change is due tomorrow

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

so whenever you get a chance to post yours we can compare sounds or does mine sounds like yours? does mine sound OK? Oil change is due tomorrow
Okay, I've did it. Sorry for the lax quality, I was alone and tried, lol. And sorry for the crunching at the end - there's leaves all around and we've not had time to rake yet :p

At the beginning, its idling in park - midway through I put it in drive, and revved the engine. It seems to be louder in drive than a simple idle. Honestly, I think both sound like diesels, lol.

And mid grade gas and fuel treatment hasn't helped yet - 40+ miles and still no power. I have to floor it to merge on the interstate, and I didn't have to before. I'm so disappointed - first new car and this happens :(

Here's the video link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mav0drasVg4

(And I should mention the forum will not work on a computer in my house, so its my cell phone only, sorry - my youtube account is h3ll0ash13, and its the only video I have uploaded - if the link is a bust)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts

thats what mine sounded like before a rod blew.... id go check it asap...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Did Nissan fix anything for you yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
no they have not... i havn't had a car in over 10 days now... they won't even provide me with a courtesy car... stupid. they want to see my oil change receipts and depending on that they will replace my motor. if they don't, i found a cheap mr20 motor ill put in.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.