Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2009 nissan versa with 74,000 miles. Sometimes When I turn the car on and start to drive within the first 10 mph (usually in a parking lot) after accelerating the electronics in my car go out like the head unit and starts making a drilling/grinding noise that pulses once a second a couple of times until everything comes back on. Normally this is fine and doesn't bother me but today as I was leaving work it happened to me but this time it was 10 seconds worth of this pulsing drilling noise then the electricity turned back on, when I pulled onto the main road with a lot of cars, all the electricity seemed to go out and the PS (power steering I'm guessing) sign turned on and for about 1 or 2 seconds it was very hard to steer in traffic coming at me on both ways as i was turning, then everything was back on and the rest of the ride home was fine. Does anyone know this clicking issue? I am possibly linking it to the battery since i have never replaced it but I don't have a clue yet.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hello, I have a 2009 nissan versa with 74,000 miles. Sometimes When I turn the car on and start to drive within the first 10 mph (usually in a parking lot) after accelerating the electronics in my car go out like the head unit and starts making a drilling/grinding noise that pulses once a second a couple of times until everything comes back on. Normally this is fine and doesn't bother me but today as I was leaving work it happened to me but this time it was 10 seconds worth of this pulsing drilling noise then the electricity turned back on, when I pulled onto the main road with a lot of cars, all the electricity seemed to go out and the PS (power steering I'm guessing) sign turned on and for about 1 or 2 seconds it was very hard to steer in traffic coming at me on both ways as i was turning, then everything was back on and the rest of the ride home was fine. Does anyone know this clicking issue? I am possibly linking it to the battery since i have never replaced it but I don't have a clue yet.

might want to get your power steering pump checked out as from the symptoms you are describing with the drilling type noise you've been hearing all this time, it may be your power steering pump was on it's way out and finally stopped functioning for a brief period or it may be something else electrically related. in any case definitely something you want to get checked out ASAP as that is a dangerous situation to be in especially in traffic

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
We don't have ps pumps. This is an electrical problem. Check your battery, check all grounds and wiring, check belt, check to make sure all pulleys spin freely (need remove belt for that), and test your alternator. One last think is make sure your harmonic balancer is intact. Otherwise known as the crank pulley. All old nissans I have had the crank pulley would break apart. There is a rubber ring and when it broke the part the belt rides on would stay in place and just the inner portion would spin. Hard to explain on here.

·
Registered
637 Posts
We don't have ps pumps. This is an electrical problem. Check your battery, check all grounds and wiring, check belt, check to make sure all pulleys spin freely (need remove belt for that), and test your alternator. One last think is make sure your harmonic balancer is intact. Otherwise known as the crank pulley. All old nissans I have had the crank pulley would break apart. There is a rubber ring and when it broke the part the belt rides on would stay in place and just the inner portion would spin. Hard to explain on here.
wasnt sure how far back they started using electrical power steering so went to the old fall back lol

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
agreed. Any other car I would have been right there with you. My guess would have been a seizing ps pump.

·
Registered
690 Posts
The ABS system makes a similar noise as a self check when above a certain speed, only supposed to happen when you first start it up in the morning and start driving away. I want to add in to the checking grounds thing, bad grounds can cause a littany of issues. It can turn the vehicle into something that is posessed by the Devil. Also these cars do have IPDM/BCM problems more commonly than usual. Did the engine continue running smoothly when this stuff happened?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The ABS system makes a similar noise as a self check when above a certain speed, only supposed to happen when you first start it up in the morning and start driving away. I want to add in to the checking grounds thing, bad grounds can cause a littany of issues. It can turn the vehicle into something that is posessed by the Devil. Also these cars do have IPDM/BCM problems more commonly than usual. Did the engine continue running smoothly when this stuff happened?
Thanks for the quick reply :) much appreciated.

The engine appears to run smoothly after the issues happen.

the ABS thing might be a clue because when I was going to the gym I saw the abs light come on then turn off for a split second. Does that mean I lose all breaking?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply :) much appreciated.

The engine appears to run smoothly after the issues happen.

the ABS thing might be a clue because when I was going to the gym I saw the abs light come on then turn off for a split second. Does that mean I lose all breaking?
you wont lose the ability to brake, but it will be easier to lock up the brakes if the ABS isnt functioning properly....also, how long have you had that aftermarket stereo installed? may want to check the electrical on that to make sure it isnt causing a short somewhere, i know it's a long shot, but it's worth it just to take a look as i have seen some aftermarket stereo installs do some crazy things to peoples electrical in their car if not installed properly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you wont lose the ability to brake, but it will be easier to lock up the brakes if the ABS isnt functioning properly....also, how long have you had that aftermarket stereo installed? may want to check the electrical on that to make sure it isnt causing a short somewhere, i know it's a long shot, but it's worth it just to take a look as i have seen some aftermarket stereo installs do some crazy things to peoples electrical in their car if not installed properly
Thanks, I have had that aftermarket head unit for about 5 years, and this issue has only happened for less then 1 year. I wouldn't think its that but I will always add that to the possibility list. I just wonder if this is only me? Also I find it kinda funny how almost every 09 versa has missing hubcaps..I don't think nissan wants to do anything about some of these issues..

·
Registered
637 Posts
Thanks, I have had that aftermarket head unit for about 5 years, and this issue has only happened for less then 1 year. I wouldn't think its that but I will always add that to the possibility list. I just wonder if this is only me? Also I find it kinda funny how almost every 09 versa has missing hubcaps..I don't think nissan wants to do anything about some of these issues..
well seeing as it's an 09 i imagine it's well out of warranty so no, nissan probably wouldnt do anything, at least not for free. the hubcaps issue is something else all together as i think that is a pretty common issue across all brand for hubcaps to fall off at some point in the cars life. the only other thing i can think of for you to do at this point would be to have a professional take a look at the ABS systems and make sure nothing is failing in there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well seeing as it's an 09 i imagine it's well out of warranty so no, nissan probably wouldnt do anything, at least not for free. the hubcaps issue is something else all together as i think that is a pretty common issue across all brand for hubcaps to fall off at some point in the cars life. the only other thing i can think of for you to do at this point would be to have a professional take a look at the ABS systems and make sure nothing is failing in there.
Yeah thanks for the input, I just wanted an idea on what could be the issue and you guys gave me a lot of great ideas, and I will most likely find it a good investment to just get it checked out for probably under $50 and then decide how much repairs/costs will be, also, I may be at the point where I just want to sell this thing and hopefully get maybe 6 or 7 thousand for a newer (faster) car.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hubcaps always go missing... they're useless pieces of plastic. They trap water and are worthless.

Good chance of corrosion in the IPDM, the IPDM is located in a vulnerable place, especially if the fender liner and lower cowling has been broken, or wasn't reinstalled properly. It's on the right side of the battery. I have a feeling water is causing alot of the IPDM issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello all, just a quick update and a cross of the check list. I got a new battery from pep boys. At first nothing was happening but now about a week later I'm still getting a weird grinding noise when I turn the car on(but it does start after the noise) then probably 1 out of 5 times I go driving the PS will shut off for a second. WHY COULD THIS BE HAPPENING?

·
Registered
226 Posts
at $65 bucks a pop, I'm sure they're happy to do a fat lotta nothing about the cheap hubcaps...

That noise is... interesting. it doesn't seem to be tied to anything I can see. It's not consistent with gear/ratio changes, steering, or acceleration.

it's safe enough to go test out your ABS. get up to about 15-20mph, and lay on the brakes hard. if the ABS kicks on, it's not that, or at least it's not that consistently. If your brakes just lock and skid/squeal to a stop, then your ABS is shot.

This is perfectly safe to do as long as there isn't someone following you in traffic, I do it regularly any time i rotate tires, do a brake job, or need to inspect someone else's.

I believe this all routes through that IPDM, so if you're losing PS and having an ABS issue, it's likely traceable to that.

Those IPDMs and BCMs are trouble in many Nissan models of that generation.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
can you hear it when you apply or release the brakes?

Also, check power steering. cut the wheels left and right all the way and see if you can hear that noise again.

(I'm trying to think how to duplicate that drill noise errrr errrr)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.