Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed the plugs and coils on my 2012 Nissan Versa Hatch back 1.8. Set of 4 NGK Iridium Spark Plugs DILKAR6A11 22401-JA01B on eBay. As well as new coils I purchased off EBay. After installing the plugs the engine light flashed on and off and the car hardly drove. Eventually it wouldn’t even start. I went to Nissan they told me the plugs were not correct and sold me the right ones. The car runs 99 percent better now, however there is still a slight hesitation. I decided to put the stock Nissan coils back on and the check engine light is still on throwing misfire 2 3 and 4 cylinder. Anyone have a clue on what to try next? Car had 140,000 and ran great before the plug and coil change. Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
The plugs and coils you get from EBay for next to no money (well, you get four for the normal price of one) are almost certainly factory rejects or untested floor sweepings. I know because I bought them myself. I had one plug that failed from the get-go, I contacted the seller and got another four as free replacements. These worked well for about four months, and right now, something is starting to go out again. Hasn't got to the point that the computer is telling me about it, but it's the same occasional hesitation you describe. Fortunately, I have a bunch of spare plugs! Of course, if it's the coil that died this time, I'll be back at square one.

Given what a total freaking pain in the arse it is to change these things, I might just fork over the money for genuine parts at genuine prices. Hello RockAuto, I wish you shipped to cities that charge sales tax...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, I think it's probably understandable that when the price of a set of plugs and coils is half a week at minimum wage, and by all accounts a lot of stuff that comes from China is merely marked 5x up and put in a pretty box, one might hope that you've found a deal. At least the first time :(

Anyway, perhaps I'm trying to justify myself, but these are images of two plugs that I bought on Ebay for $18 for four. They've been in service for a bit less than 4000 miles.

Clearly the less on is that AMC is completely correct that these things are utterly worthless. Doubly so given the absurd aggravation of getting the damn Versa apart far enough to get at the plugs and coils. Three of these plugs had no electrode left, and the fourth had lost the insulator and electrode for more than 1/8" down into the body of the plug. Lesson learned : (

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.