Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after a 600 mile trip pulled off the road and the car died. it started back up and then started running rough. fuel pressure 51 psi and compression is good in three cylinders 180 psi and one of them had 90 psi. the car has 94k on it any one else have these problems

·
Registered
444 Posts
I made a 500 mile trip last winter and afterwards the car would not start, and also ran very rough at 1st when it finally did. Never really solved the problem though, it started after a few minutes and made the return trip just fine. It doesn't really help, but your not alone!

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
man to lose compression in the cylinder is a little more then just a hard time starting.

This is getting all too common on this board for me. If my engine craps out I'm screwed. I don't have a backup car or time to drop a new engine in.

Goodluck to you ajsversa. I'm starting to think I should get the extended warranty but I drive too much and would pay for it and it would be gone in a year.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
This is getting all too common on this board for me. If my engine craps out I'm screwed. I don't have a backup car or time to drop a new engine in.

Goodluck to you ajsversa. I'm starting to think I should get the extended warranty but I drive too much and would pay for it and it would be gone in a year.
I agree. It worries me. How much is the extended warranty though? And when is a good time to get it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the car ran alittle better on the way to the shop and then I stopped at a light and nope it was still running the same. still have not heard from the shop. I'm just alittle worried because the guy that wrote me up said that nissan's should come with an experation date on them to throw away after so many miles. I told him well that just sucks I never knew any one to have problems with there nissans

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
the car ran alittle better on the way to the shop and then I stopped at a light and nope it was still running the same. still have not heard from the shop. I'm just alittle worried because the guy that wrote me up said that nissan's should come with an experation date on them to throw away after so many miles. I told him well that just sucks I never knew any one to have problems with there nissans
That does suck, sorry to hear. But keep us posted on what they say ...
There is a member on here who has 250,000 miles on his Versa and it's still going ... so not all have expiration dates.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a call from that idiot.

·
Registered
247 Posts
That mechanic has no idea. Nissans are good. And the life of a car depends on the OWNER not the car maker.

I would like to know how you've maintained your car the whole owner ship and before leaving for the trip and while on it. Unless you have super high mileage (which 94k isn't super high) and took it on a trip it shouldn't go on, it shouldn't have done this unless a owner fault happened along the way somewhere =/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I maintain my own vehicle I am a mechanic on harley-davidson's and I am building a camaro from scratch( car had no motor or tranny when I bought it). done engine work to my volkswagens and some engine work to my ranger. I've done the routine services and anything else I normally take to a shop. I called nissan and they asked me to take it to a nissan dealer so now I am waiting to hear from them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So where do you think the compression is being lost?

Rings or head?

From the manual...

• If one cylinder has low compression pressure, pour small amount of engine oil into the spark plug hole
of the cylinder to re-check it for compression.
- If the added engine oil improves the compression, piston rings may be worn out or damaged. Check piston
rings and replace if necessary.
- If the compression pressure remains at low level despite the addition of engine oil, valves may be malfunctioning.
Check valves for damage. Replace valve or valve seat accordingly.
• If two adjacent cylinders have respectively low compression pressure and their compression remains
low even after the addition of engine oil, cylinder head gasket is leaking. In such a case, replace cylinder
head gasket.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
the car has 94k miles and has never missed a beat.
That does suck! My 1.8 is @ 86K miles and I change the oil every 3,000 miles

I bought a Nissan because of the resale value and reliability so if mine still breaks then that would be my luck! and I would get very very upset because I don't even shift over 3000RPMs and I drive between 55-MPH 65MPH on the highway. No racing or catching green lights. only time will tell.

I hope you get yours fixed, so let us know what the dealer says about the cause of the problem

·
Registered
144 Posts
That isn't good at all, I hope it gets fixed and isn't anything widespread. The last car i had turned out after much research it had an "engine design flaw" that meant it'd would more than likely die around about 100k in. Right on queue it went out right at 96k or 97k! If I thought for a second I'd bought another ford as much as I like the Versa I'd ditch it.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I had a cavalier and it had engine flaws. the 2.2s had head gasket problems and 2.4s had water pump problems.
My 2.4 blew the head gasket at around 120,000 and "every place I went" to check on prices and labor cost told me it was "normal" for them to do that. but I was hard on the 2.4 LD9 because I kinda liked the torque it had on take off

had a 94 pontiac bonneville..it had a transmission flaw. 3rd gear goes out and yup, mine went out too

ohh,
My 1.8 versa has 83K not 86k, I get an oil change at 86k miles

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I maintain my own vehicle I am a mechanic on harley-davidson's and I am building a camaro from scratch( car had no motor or tranny when I bought it). done engine work to my volkswagens and some engine work to my ranger. I've done the routine services and anything else I normally take to a shop. I called nissan and they asked me to take it to a nissan dealer so now I am waiting to hear from them.
did you ever had to add any oil because it was running low before the next oil change?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.