Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an issue a while back I'd heard a tapping/clicking sound coming from the engine on my 2009 S 1.8 manual when it was cool outside. This started about a year after I'd bought it. First winter (Florida lol) the car was perfect. The second winter, from then on it taps/knocks when cold. The engine still makes the same sound when cool but also at times when it's warm out even if it's been.. heated up and driven. The sound is intermittent and isn't usually all that loud but I do hear it clicking which to be honest does worry me.

A new sound has cropped up just recently, when accelerating I hear a rattle or like something is vibrating up front. Almost like the sound of something stuck against a fan and flapping/vibrating if that makes any sense. I don't feel anything but I can hear it when I move forward. I hear it in all gears, even if the clutch is engaged. I hear it when coasting I put the car in neutral and still hear it. I do not at least not yet, don't hear it when stopped. AC on or off sound is still there. All service (minus new tires) have been done by the same dealer.

I plan to take it but thought I'd pick the brains of those on here before I do. When I bought the car it was near silent and it still is most of the time I'm just concerned if I hear anything out of the normal that hangs around too long. Last time I put new tires on a car with a tapping engine the engine died lol.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
yeah, take it in ASAP and let them look at it and let us know what they said.

I cannot add much about yours unless we have video and sound.

if you get a chance, make a video of the engine at idle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The tapping sound is common on the 1.8 liter MR18DE. It could be something as simple as valve lash being slightly out of tolerance (which shouldn't be too much of concern) all the way up to engine failre, which several of us havd experienced.

This new sound though sound more speed dependent then RPM dependent, so i would look at things that turn with speed. Stuff like brake pads (just make sure they aren't worn down or touching anything they shouldn't). It could also be something like a wheel bearing. You can try putting the car in neutral and jacking up the front end and spinning the wheels one at a time to see if that isolates anything.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
The tapping sound is common on the 1.8 liter MR18DE. It could be something as simple as valve lash being slightly out of tolerance (which shouldn't be too much of concern) all the way up to engine failre, which several of us havd experienced.

This new sound though sound more speed dependent then RPM dependent, so i would look at things that turn with speed. Stuff like brake pads (just make sure they aren't worn down or touching anything they shouldn't). It could also be something like a wheel bearing. You can try putting the car in neutral and jacking up the front end and spinning the wheels one at a time to see if that isolates anything.
I agree :thumb2:

after reading his post again, he stated

when accelerating I hear a rattle or like something is vibrating up front. Almost like the sound of something stuck against a fan and flapping/vibrating if that makes any sense. I don't feel anything but I can hear it when I move forward. I hear it in all gears, even if the clutch is engaged. I hear it when coasting I put the car in neutral and still hear it. I do not at least not yet, don't hear it when stopped. AC on or off sound is still there. All service (minus new tires) have been done by the same dealer.
so he hears it when the car is moving, even when he puts it in neutral he can hear a flapping/vibrating sound, but he doesn't feel any vibration.

even in neutral when the rpms are low, the flapping/vibrating sound is there as long as the car is moving....

so the car is moving, there's a vibrating sound, but I'm asumming there's no vibration movement or anything.

I'm goinna say is going to be tire/suspension related. because he used the word fan, fans make noise when they spin.
Tires make sound when they're moving. and he can only hear the sound when the car is moving.

When he puts the car in Neutral, the flapping sound should slow down or go away a lil bit because the RPMs get down to 800RPM or so.
but only if the sound is coming from the actual engine

@ aidan80
is your car due for new tires? maybe that could be it

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I'll try to keep my phone handy and start it up cold then again after it's been heated up and capture the sounds of the engine. The tires on my car are new. My brakes are squeaking now and then but I couldn't need new pads at 25,000?

Either way I'll let the dealer look at it see what they say. I'm hoping that tire shop didn't screw anything up when they replaced my tires. Although after the shock and horror of dealing with continental regarding my old tires I wouldn't be shocked if Nissan cut other corners and I need new brake pads lol.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
or it could be the wheel bearings like westrock stated:

It could also be something like a wheel bearing. You can try putting the car in neutral and jacking up the front end and spinning the wheels one at a time to see if that isolates anything.

its a good thing you still have warranty because it is best to take care of every little thing that can later on turn in to something more expensive.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
can also help isolate wheel bearing noise when turning. Turn left, weight shifts to the right side, right wheel bearing gets noisier. Had to replace right front wheel bearing couple months ago. maybe this helps

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took it in and they said they want to bring it in and hold it so they can replicate the sound. They offered to put me in a loaner while they were checking it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yah, please post. I have a rattle too in my 2010. I've taken it to 2 dealers and one says that they don't hear it, and the other claims it goes away when the car heats up. BUT, it doesnt. It does EXACTLY what you describe (whether it's cold or not, but worse in cold), and at low speeds can be heard anytime, especially parking lots. I need a lead as to where to start looking...

·
Registered
1 Posts
tiida 2006 hb,1.6 auto problem

Hi everyone.Getting the same problem with my tiida 2006 hb,1.6 auto but when i'm on neutral the sound goes off.Please help me.I just bought the car and invested a lot of money,now i'm afraid i have to spend more in it :( .Thanks much

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I have a Nissan 2011 versa 1.8 had bad engine due to rod knocking so I bought a used one from the junkyard I've dealt with for years.Anyway I put the used engine in fired it up an had a dead cylinder but no knocking sound at all replaced coil pack an plug car running great but now I've got a knocking sound on cylinder 1 changed oil again an treated it thinking lifter problem. Nope didn't change now when first started no knocking for the first 30 seconds then starts to knock I know it's not a crank knock to me kinda sounds like a wrist pin knock can't kill the cylinder due to coil pack covered with intake so looking for fix on what the cause may be can here it xcelerating down the road over all car runs smooth no engine light.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Those early engines have been noted for having a "piston slap" in the number 3 cylinder. Usually, it can be heard when the engine is cold and first started. Not knowing the history of the engine you purchased from the junk yard, it might be hard to pin down. Good luck.................

1 - 13 of 13 Posts