Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, Gang,

Pt. 2 of insane questions...

I am thinking of swapping engines from the 18 to the 20. On the same note, I am wondering if I should think of other engines to put into my versa... Anyways, I have been researching engine swapping because I plan on modifying my Versa, which leads to my next point.

I have been researching across the net and have not found anything that speaks on turbo and/or supercharging compact four cylinders. Does anyone have any information on if a Versa could handle a Turbo and/or supercharger? If so, what steps would I need to take to have this done?

Thanks for all input,

VSL

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I suggest you do some more research. Possibly purchase or look at a book by Corky Bell called maximum boost.

You can turbo charge any internal combustion engine. No one pushed the mr18de really so no way to tell how much it can hold. Same goes for engine swaps. No one has done any besides the mr20 which seems to be almost the exact same engine. Be a pioneer and get your hands dirty :). Kill two birds with one stone and try and fit the mr16ddt in your car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rob,

I see your point. I should do some more research and check into the thick of things. I saw online that someone said you could put a Sentra's 2.5L engine into the Versa. I don't know if it is true or not, but I will continue looking into all options. Much appreciated on the advice.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
You can do anything with enough money. Usually it's easier and less pricey if the engine is in the same family as many of the sensors will swap and the transmissions line up. Once out of the same family the tranny might not swap, which means different axles, which means possibly different hubs etc. . . . This is not always the case as some transmissions even if the engine is in the same family don't mate up.

If I was modding a Versa with a 1.8 I would get a custom turbo manifold made and turbo it. Reason being is if it blows you can always upgrade the engine to an mr20 and all the turbo bits would carry over :).

Reactions: pimperell

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
there are some threads regarding this on the forum. I did the mr18 to mr20 swap, the reason being that you don't need to change the transmission, ecu or anything else. its plug and play. there is a supercharger coming out in a few months that will achieve 50% more power for the mr18 and mr20 motors

someone did have a turbo'd versa years ago, then he sold it and someone bought it, destroyed it. and that was the end of that.

the reason i didn't go for the 2.5 is that it requires a different transmission, ecu, mounts, and everything. the mr20 is just a plug and play swap from the 18.

·
Registered
18 Posts
On a side note I haven't even been able to find a single turbo or supercharger kit for the versa. I can't even find a aftermarket exhaust for it only oem. Only engine kit mod you can find on ebay or Amazon right now is a cold air intake and thats pointless without a decent catback or straight-pipe. Has anybody in here ever swapped a QR25DE into a versa? I'm finishing brakes/rotors/dot3 flush next Friday and the Friday after that I'd like to start modifying the engine/body but if I can't do a full proper job of atleast a few mods I'm at the point where I'm almost considering leaving it stock which is unfortunate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On a side note I haven't even been able to find a single turbo or supercharger kit for the versa. I can't even find a aftermarket exhaust for it only oem. Only engine kit mod you can find on ebay or Amazon right now is a cold air intake and thats pointless without a decent catback or straight-pipe. Has anybody in here ever swapped a QR25DE into a versa? I'm finishing brakes/rotors/dot3 flush next Friday and the Friday after that I'd like to start modifying the engine/body but if I can't do a full proper job of atleast a few mods I'm at the point where I'm almost considering leaving it stock which is unfortunate.
Ok I've got u ( DC cat back exhaust system stainless steel it's loud and ull get a 7%more HP only yeah it's not much but it is a noticeable cold air intake only 3% not noticeable

·
Registered
7 Posts
Okay, Gang,

Pt. 2 of insane questions...

I am thinking of swapping engines from the 18 to the 20. On the same note, I am wondering if I should think of other engines to put into my versa... Anyways, I have been researching engine swapping because I plan on modifying my Versa, which leads to my next point.

I have been researching across the net and have not found anything that speaks on turbo and/or supercharging compact four cylinders. Does anyone have any information on if a Versa could handle a Turbo and/or supercharger? If so, what steps would I need to take to have this done?

Thanks for all input,

VSL
Small block V8 Normally aspirated you won’t need anything else

1 - 8 of 8 Posts