Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What about a 2.5L sentra spec-v?

I looked at a picture and it looks exactly the same as the Versas. The cool thing is that the Sentra also comes in a CVT (for me) lol.

What do you think?
Any other candidates?

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I think you should get a turbo kit first!

An engine swap would be nice but I have no idea what will work and is it plug 'n play? Will it fit in the chassis without fail? That I'd like to see! If you're down, then go for it. Let us know the process along the way.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know ANYTHING about engines or engine swaps. Lol

I was just suggesting it because I'm really interested in doing it (not atm due to funds). I'm sure hardly any engine swaps are just plug and play but I'd of course pay someone to it.

I really don't trust myself working on the engine of a 18k car. Also ruining 2 engines by messing something up would really make me mad. Lol

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I don't think the QR will be as easy as the mr20. Afterall you guys have mr18's in there now. I'm betting most of the sensors are the same. Now the MR20 is 2.0 with 140hp. Lighten up your cars a bit and with that engine you will be running 15's. I bet with performance bolt ons you can be mid-high 14's. An experienced mechanic I know looked over the mr20 and he said with revised intake manifold and a quality header (not like anything you can buy on ebay), that the MR20 will make good power. I'm betting you can pull 150-160whp or a little under 180 crank horse power.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Impul put the MR20 crank in the 1.8 and was pulling 140-150whp with a little tuning. I think a tuned MR20 could pull 180whp. The Sentra SE-R is pulling that with an MR20. I think you'd be easier on the wallet with a crank swap and some tuning vs. a custom turbo set-up.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
But don't our 1.8's have 122hp..? That's only about 18 more hp for about 1-2k for the engine and the swap.
HP is not cheap! Rule of thumb has always been $100 per 1whp. It's not scientific but it's an average and is usually pretty close.

Impul put the MR20 crank in the 1.8 and was pulling 140-150whp with a little tuning. I think a tuned MR20 could pull 180whp. The Sentra SE-R is pulling that with an MR20. I think you'd be easier on the wallet with a crank swap and some tuning vs. a custom turbo set-up.
Is the crank even different? Is it lighter? A crank swap would be more money if you ask me. You are tearing the entire engine apart. This requires alot of labor, new gaskets, possibly machining.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
So if we put in the 2.0L Sentra engine would we be able to get a sentra turbokit or would it still be considered Versa and we would have to get Versa parts?

Sorry idk anything about this. Lol
I'm betting it still wouldn't work. Not without modification. The clearances will be different.

I don't think there is a mr20 kit anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
does any1 know which engines will bolt up to our trannys? (6spd) or if there is a tranny swap needed? knowing these 2 things i can give a LOT of advice for any1 willing to brave an engine swap...
tranny numbers for the Mr20de and mr18de are the same RS6F94R and the HR16DE here in the US gets RS5F91R. I believe but am not positive that the tiida 1.5/6 comes with the 6spd RS6F94R.

Now the QR25DE uses RS6F52A and RS6F52H. Usually the A would be open diff and the H limited slip.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work just giving out some info incase anyone wanted to do some research.

·
Registered
502 Posts
the MR20 will bolt up to the MR18 6spd. not sure about other trannys. what will need to be done is unhooking everything from the MR18, pulling the motor, slightly changing the motor mounts (either cut and move or buy a new generic set and bolt them to the motor and mark where they will be mounted on the chasis) mount the motor mounts, drop in the MR20 extremely slowly while checking for any clearance issues, bolt everything up, re attach everything, and swap the wiring harness and ecu from a sentra in.i know this is vague but thats pretty much all it takes...

from the look of everything it will be as simple as doing an SR20 swap into a 240sx.

·
Registered
55 Posts
In my limited research (new to this forum and the Versa), the ECU and cluster are tyed together. Now you will need to mod the dash to fit the sentra cluster.

It sound as though you'll spend a lot of money no mater the direction you take.

I suggest (and this is a proven method), get you hands on a low milage mr18 engine. Forget the boltons for now and build up the donor in your own time and your own cost.

Order the MR20 crank from the parts store and compare it to the MR18 crank. Chances are its just lighter, or it may only be the crank pulley thats lighter. Possible saving money there.

If you want a bigger bore engine, have the donor bored professionally (even if you don't think it needs it, IT DOES). Have it sleeved!!!! This will insure your block can take most anything you bolt onto it.

Look this message is getting too large. Engine swaps can be as difficult or as easy as you wish. Log and short of it 'you will have no need to mod your vehicle for the sake of an engine'.

If you want to here more contact me at '[email protected]'

1 - 20 of 28 Posts