Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to start a thread here for possible engine swaps. I know many of us are in love with our gas easy Versa's but would like a lil more power to be included. I dont have a owners manual so dont have the actual specs (size, and etc) of the 1.8L that is in my own car. So I'd like for somebody to give that info as well so we can start debating what engines might be a possible fit inside the Versa.

Personally I know it'll be years off before i even contemplate the idea IRL, but would like to start getting a huge "library" of information for what could possibly be done.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I havent got an ideal swap as of yet, like I said it'll be a few yrs off for me. I've owned a 87 300zx turbo. And like every other person, eventually would like to have another turbo car, but unlike alot of people, I realise our lil 1.8 MR18DE doesnt have the internals to handle such an upgrade right off the bat. I just wish the versa had a more dedicated following ya know?

Oh well...still got an S10 sitting around, guess in the meanwhile it'll be dropping a V8 into her and turbo'n that. Or supercharging...but turbo is so much more efficient

·
Premium Member
3,279 Posts
Why does everyone say it can't handle boost? Did anyone rip it apart and see why it can't or you just assuming?

Boosting the MR is your best bet. I bet it can hand 5psi no problem for quite a long time. Especially if you get it tuned really well. At 5psi the car will feel like an entirely different beast.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That may be so robj80 but I'm a classic boost person (give me 8-11psi). 5psi would definitely be a totally different car and almost any engine can handle that low of boost of course. But when you have to drop 5k for good parts and tune 5psi seems just a lil low for my personal taste. Anyone that manages to drop a 5psi boost tho - I definitely wanna drive your V and see how it feels!

But before that time even comes I gotta drop in some body stiffening. As I said, gots awhile to go before I drop anything big cash into the V.

Where as v8s for my s10 are a dime a dozen. Saw a guy with a late 90s silverado with a totalled rear end just wanting somebody to get it out of his yard. Trying right now to see if I cant get some cash together to do just that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Why not just do a fifty shot of nitrous? Best bang for your buck BY FAR on cars with little aftermarket support.

Turbo on five pounds is definitely doable, and is your best bet besides nitrous. Like versablack said your looking at five thousand in parts or so. We aren't talking about civics here where you have thousands of turbo kits. Way too much money for how little you get.

Back to engine swaps though. First one that comes to mind is QR25DE, probably because thats my engine :) Tons of torque, super fun to drive, and competitive with all FF fourbangers for the most part. You could also do an SR20DE+T. But to be brutally honest, I dont see any street driven versa get any kind of swap. It is just way too hard to do a full custom engine swap with a car that has almost no aftermarket. The electrical stuff is the downfall of a lot of swaps. Its fun to think about stuff like this though, Im not trying to put anyone's ideas down.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The reason why we don't have these things it because there isn't a big enough following.

Yaris' have plenty of that stuff. I don't know much about the Fit but I am sure they have got some of that good stuff as well. I heard that someone already did an engine swap also in a Fit.

It just takes people who are ready to spend their money on it. I myself would rather own a Turbo Versa rather than a rattle can Civic.

Just my .02 cents though. I just like to stand out from other people though..

·
Registered
496 Posts
the yaris has a ton of TRD stuff pulling a pretty big tuning crowd, and the fit has the benefit of being a honda. honda basically owns the tuning scene. versanation, there has already been a b18 dropped into a fit, youtube it, its sick. the versa has no support from anywhere except for a select few tuners. Nissan has done absolutely nothing to benefit us and most of the other compact tuners are seeing cool things being done to the fit and yaris and are heading in the direction. you can order a yaris from the factory with basically every upgrade that we have available. and the fit had a turbo kit available roughly a year after the car was put into production. its going to be a looooooonnnnnngggggg time before the versa really gets anything cool so basically looking into tuning and performance is blazing your own trail.

my 2 cents.

·
Registered
620 Posts
If you guys haven't checked out MicroImage yet you should. Right now it's mostly Yaris stuff but they have some Fits, Versas, and Scions around. Farm is a NISMO dealer now and will have some new parts for us.

So basically check it out if you want support for the Versa. Garm has what it takes to help us out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
nah, that's a crappy motor, expecting to fail without notice, i am speaking from experience.
False. QR25DE is a great motor, you just have to know a thing or two about it. First thing you need to do is locktite the butterfly valves in the intake manifold, then put on a header to get rid of the pre-cat. This is only on the 02-06 QR's though, 07+ are good to go right out of the factory.

Did yours fail from pre-cat ingestion? If so you should have put a header on.

·
Registered
187 Posts
We're in the process of making the MR18 into an MR20 and since I've been with NISMO for a long time now (not just a dealer) I actually have the Engine Builder for all of NISMO's racing projects for the last twenty years working with me on the project...he also built the motor in my 240SX Race Car and it's been bullet proof with lots of track records and championships to back it up......so he knows he's stuff and is strictly Nissan no other brands need apply! I'm trying to keep it so that we continue with "good gas millage" and "drivability" but a good twenty more hp/tq also trying to keep costs down. We have the new MR18 to start the project with and between working with NISMO on this and there Tech's it should take a couple of months....so stay tuned. After that I may have some other items coming down the pipe to increase hp/tq even more but that will be after this first project is done so I can measure the difference's. Our focus is on Nissan.....nothing else.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
False. QR25DE is a great motor, you just have to know a thing or two about it. First thing you need to do is locktite the butterfly valves in the intake manifold, then put on a header to get rid of the pre-cat. This is only on the 02-06 QR's though, 07+ are good to go right out of the factory.

Did yours fail from pre-cat ingestion? If so you should have put a header on.

ya, i went through ALL the recalls on that engine (several recalls) in my 2002 spec-v.

my precat blew at 270,000 kms, i was lucky it lasted that long.
my butterfly screws were fine.

again, i don't like that engine. i would hope those issues were fixed, but once bitten twice shy.

·
Registered
620 Posts
We're in the process of making the MR18 into an MR20 and since I've been with NISMO for a long time now (not just a dealer) I actually have the Engine Builder for all of NISMO's racing projects for the last twenty years working with me on the project...he also built the motor in my 240SX Race Car and it's been bullet proof with lots of track records and championships to back it up......so he knows he's stuff and is strictly Nissan no other brands need apply! I'm trying to keep it so that we continue with "good gas millage" and "drivability" but a good twenty more hp/tq also trying to keep costs down. We have the new MR18 to start the project with and between working with NISMO on this and there Tech's it should take a couple of months....so stay tuned. After that I may have some other items coming down the pipe to increase hp/tq even more but that will be after this first project is done so I can measure the difference's. Our focus is on Nissan.....nothing else.:thumbsup:

Go Bob! Can't wait for the results!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.