Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read some of the "ticking" topics on these forums but my circumstances may be slightly different. My wife was complaining that her 2010 Versa SL with 15000km was not driving as well as normal. I drove it last night for the first time in about 6 months. The outside temperature was about -20C and I noticed that there seemed to be a ticking noise but only when accelerating. If I drove at a constant 60km/h or 80km/h then I couldn't hear anything. If I pressed the gas pedal the ticking was audible and seemed to get louder the harder I accelerated. I don't remember if I could hear anything at idle but I suspect not. I'll have to drive it again to check.

Is this something I should worry about or is it something I just need to put up with? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
could be several things and none of them good. If you still have the powertrain warranty I would make an appointment asap.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Basic ticking noise that follows the engines revs can be loud injectors (common on some cars), but can be an injector going bad. Also check if she filled up recently with gas, she could have gotten some crappy gas causing detination. If under warranty, take it in.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Could be piston slap related issue. Could be your tolerance for NVH (noise vibration harshness) is lower than usual. These motors have timing chains and solid lifters, the top end is noisier than usual. Injectors will tick when clean and not tick when dirty, however sometimes when they are going bad the pintle opening will sound irregular with a random pattern. Have you checked oil consumption? If you remove the oil cap, does air flow out? If you have excessive blow by there will be alot of air coming out, direct indicator of piston fit issues. How does the interior of the motor look from there, evidence of sludge? Excessive blow by will also overload the PCV system, meaning alot of oil in the intake and carbon build up in the combustion chamber.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.