Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've replaced the starter but car will only start when I jump the starter. Any suggestions? (This was the reason I replaced the starter in the first place)

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Sounds like a bad solenoid. If you hook up the old one does it work? Did you test the new one?

·
Registered
63 Posts
For your car to start, your car needs fuel, spark and power to the starter. You did started you car by jumping the starter. Your are providing power to the starter motor to turn your engine. By jumping the starter, we know your car has spark and fuel to the engine. Now, we will try to determine why you don't get power to the starter and/or solenoid.

When you turn the key, do you hear a click sound of the solenoid?
If you hear a click and no crank, you get power to the solenoid and no power to the starter motor to turn your engine. The purpose of the solenoid is to close the contact to let power going to the starter motor - similar to you jumping the starter. Hit the starter with something, like the handle of a large screw driver. If you can start you car after hitting the solenoid, your solenoid does not close the circuit to supply power to the starter motor.

If you don't hear a click, this means there is no power going to the solenoid. Have you check the fuses etc.

This info applies to any car. I have not troubleshooting no start issue on my 07 Versa. I cannot help you beyond this point. Let hope someone with give you more info.

·
Registered
688 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts