Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I have to change my exhaust flange because my engine light keeps reading bad converter change all sensors 2017 Nissan versa sedan 1.6sl 2017 smells a little gas in the bottom sometime the light stays on when running about in 2 days then delete code and it gives me another 2 days to the lights come back on is that a leak????

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
287 Posts
Are you are getting a P0420 code?? If not, what code are you getting with the check engine light??
If you had a problem with the exhaust flange, I'd think you would see a hole in the exhaust pipe where the flange is welded on. There is a gasket between the two flanges, but I don't see that going bad. Did something impact the exhaust system (run over something)?? Is the vehicle LOUD?? (especially when you accelerate)
Unless you have A LOT of miles on the car, I can't see a catalytic converter going bad on a 2017 (unless it was exposed to extra unburned gas like a misfire for a long time). Did you have any "check engine" light codes prior to this P0420 code??

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I been having this problem that code I put the reader on it and says this I'm send you pictures tell me if you see them ??? I just install upstream sensors and downstream sensors made the car run better but that engine light keep coming on after two Days
Font Terrestrial plant Slope Screenshot Rectangle
Font Liquid Terrestrial plant Rectangle Science
Font Asphalt Terrestrial plant Screenshot Pattern

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I fixed the misfire all ready I changed all spark plug boots and spark plugs spark plugs that cause like $50 pair four and boots with it cost alot too but besides that that maybe yes I was riding with misfire for a while long time but what next I can do in the morning smell's like a lot gas but I think that's normal then goes away and no it doesn't make no noise silent it can be

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cat converter efficiency system it always says that pops up only I cleared the codes a couple times like five times and only that this pop up all the time I don't really know what else to do the car runs very good everything

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The weird part about today I install the 02 reader today this morning it's 6:44 new Orleans now and it says no faulty codes and the lights off but why does it come back on two days again don't understand?? Then I all ready bought new upstream cat converter flange to see if that might work think I should just install new flange and you might be right if somebody else took my car for Joy ride hit something underneath car might be a leak somewhere but we're to first look I thought about upstream converter flange first to change because codes are reading bank 1 so .what you think I should do? Need help thank you so much reading all this information might help someone on here with same problem I have

·
Registered
287 Posts
yes I was riding with misfire for a while long time
With a misfire code, you are sending unburned gasoline into the catalytic converter and it begins to get polluted and damaged. If you fix the misfire quickly, then no harm is done to the catalytic converter, whereas if you drive for extended periods of time with a misfire the catalytic converter will become damaged and eventually fail. At that point, you get a P0420 code.
Let me qualify that I'm just a "shade tree" mechanic, but in my experience EVERY P0420 code is a bad catalytic converter.
For testing purposes, I've used a homemade device called a "Spark Plug Anti-fouler trick" on the downstream Oxygen Sensor. This "spark plug anti-fouler trick" may or may not be legal in your state. You may want to google some information on it, as well as look at some of the youtube videos. I'm sure there is a better way to test to see if your catalytic converter is bad, but I don't have any of that equipment.
Personally, I've had good luck with ebay catalytic converters on my previous GM vehicles, I have not had to put a cat on a Nissan product, yet. You may also want to look at rockauto and price a new catalytic converter.
...and you might be right if somebody else took my car for Joy ride hit something underneath car might be a leak somewhere...
If the exhaust were leaking somewhere in the system, it should be fairly loud and fairly obvious. That is not to say that a visual inspection should be ruled out. If it were my car, I would do a good visual inspection of the exhaust system. And if you are going to get underneath the car, please use a good quality jack stand to support the car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guess what my friend soon I deleted the codes so many times with the odb2 reader the light just stop coming back on for some reason this day three 3 let's see if it holds, I get back with you soon it comes back on but this happened to me last time when I just keep delete fault codes few times, the first time it worked .then soon I went to change all the coils boots and spark plugs I put everything together manifold you name it.. that's when the light came back on . Just let you know the car stop misfire but light stays on, but now looks find since I keep delete the fault codes on the odb2 .let's see if it hold till Monday I get back with you to see what next I should do thanks for your support you been good help

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I'm saying is every time I foll around the manifold changing spark plugs or anything like that that dam light comes on do you think it could me something electrical short power something weird do my part but the lights off it's usually come back the car engine light 2 days this 3rd let's see if come back on fully day today today or till Monday 😁 if you don't hear from me Monday it's because light still stands off

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have a nother question in the procedure a change in the car boots and spark plug is any reason I have to clean the manifold in the inside when I put it back cuz it was kind of oily not that much do spark plugs too the old ones I mean to say

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Clean the transmission magnets pan very good too everything the two filter small in the pan filter those transmission are very delicate put the original transmission fluid back in ..buy y sometimes when car gets hot to it's temperature when I'm in park to put on drive it gets a little hard to put on drive not that much do but I can hear it thump outside soon change gears this happens a few times not a lot do you think something is going out I lose both or something

·
Registered
287 Posts
With the OBD2 monitoring system, the car runs monitors on the emissions equipment and other systems. When you delete the P0420 code with your code reader (or disconnect the battery), the car thinks you have completed a repair, so it resets all of the monitors to zero and starts to perform a self diagnosis on its systems. To get all of the monitors reset, the car puts itself through a "drive cycle". As you drive, it begins to check things off on the "drive cycle", if while performing this drive cycle the car encounters a problem or anomaly it turns on the "check engine light".
So each time you delete the P0420 code, the catalyst monitor goes back to zero and starts to perform a self diagnosis, because you haven't fixed the catalytic converter, the computer doesn't like the values it sees coming from the 02 sensor and throws the P0420 code.
You may want to familiarize yourself with the Nissan "drive cycle". It checks the EVAP system, catalyst, 02 sensors, EGR, etc.
Do you have take the car through an emissions inspection??

1 - 20 of 72 Posts