Nissan Versa Forums banner
81 - 100 of 134 Posts

· Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
365 Posts
I think you need to isolate what sounds you are trying to fix. If the tapping noise is inside the dash (in the middle) start there and attempt to track down the noise by duplicating the circumstances (that cause the noise) with your head in the passenger foot well.
If your belt is squeaking/squealing, it could be the belt, the alternator or an idler pulley. You'll need to pull the belt off (inspect it) and inspect each pulley for wear (grinding sound or rough feel when turning).
If your motor/transmission mounts are worn out, replace them. Visually inspect them and if torn or worn out, time to replace them. Personally, I don't spray anything on my motor mounts, if they are worn out, I replace them as they are not all that expensive.
As far as a flywheel or flexplate, (personally) I've never seen one wear out. I have seen damage where a starter failed to retract and ground the teeth down, but that sound is an unique grinding sound (not a tapping sound).
You may have multiple problems with your car whereas there is no one fix. The tapping sound in the dash, may not be related to belt squeal under the hood.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I might think it's the flywheel with the squeaking noise but soon like I said I put one little school drive between the gaps of the passenger side motor mount the tapping noise stops from inside cabinet in the idol sounds normal like us normal as it can be

· Registered
365 Posts
idler pulley mean
If you are asking what is an idler pulley, it is a round doughnut shaped object that the serpentine belt or drive belt rides on. It is located on the belt tensioner. There are several items being turned by the drive or serpentine belt while the engine is operating. The alternator, the A/C compressor and the idler pulley on the belt tensioner. The pulley around the crankshaft is the work horse that spins the other items.
The idler pulley does have bearings in it that do wear out, then it will whine or squeal.

· Registered
365 Posts
A flywheel is traditionally used in a manual transmission car, whereas a flex plate is used in an automatic transmission car. Neither has the ability to squeak, they just spin.
A bad motor mount will give you a "thunk" noise from time to time, as the engine shifts during acceleration (rotational forces).
Again, a good visual inspection of the motor mount is my suggestion.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Now this the part I'm talking about the squealing noise rather it's the belt because this second one I'm about to buy today be belt number 3 of buying change the old factory first long time ago then change it that's when the second time I changed the belt has today started making noise but not alot then few months got worsening now I'm about to buy other belt online so this b belt number 3 ,, so you right it should be the tension pulley cuz you say it got bearings in them that makes a squeaking noise

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
So what you think I should change first since the new belt on its way the second belt doesn't look Wear out but I'm changing it anyways looks brown doesn't look black the belt anymore so I'm just changing it ,, if it's too tight can that make it to have it make noise like that because after I took off the factory belt then bought first belt for the car the noise stop but squeaked not too much just a little bit and I was find drive like that but now got worser ,,

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Can you send me the proper video waiting to to take a belt off and these vehicles maybe I'll have it too tight that's why it squeals another question if I have it to loose does a squeals the same this is like some bipolar mechanical stuff lol just joking but Yea that be nice of you if you can send me good video the proper way hard to disconnect and we are connect the belt for these cars ,thank you very much ????

· Registered
365 Posts
There are plenty of "belt replacement" video(s) on youtube. In addition to checking the idler pulley, I'd check the A/C compressor and alternator pulleys for smooth operation. When you turn them by hand they should be quiet and not growling. They should feel smooth as you rotate them, if they feel sloppy... you found your culprit.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Sounds like it's coming from the ac compressor when it kicks on small little bit squeaking noise but when the ac compressor shuts off and stops the air condition works fine and good do ..it's around that area we're noise coming from there might be some other place that's ner the ac compressor that's the noise is at but I'm do what you told me to check but what you mean buy sloppy when I rotated my hand???

· Registered
365 Posts
When not in use, the A/C compressor will "free wheel" (turn without a load on). When you turn on the A/C an electric clutch engages and turns the compressor.
It is possible that the bearing in the A/C compressor "free wheel" has gone bad. I don't know if that is serviceable or if you have to replace the entire compressor. (perhaps someone else on the forum knows).
As a shade tree mechanic, I tend not to work on my own A/C as I don't have the equipment to vacuum out the freon/refridgerent and capture it.
As far as the term "sloppy" for bearings and pulleys, you would be looking for side to side deflection or play when you attempt to twist the pulley from side to side. A good pulley bearing will glide smoothly, no noise, no grindy feel, etc. It will be silent, not growl or squeal. Again, there are multiple youtube videos that show you what is a good pulley bearing and what is a bad pulley bearing.

81 - 100 of 134 Posts