Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my 2008 Versa to my mechanic the other day because it was making an odd sound when I turned. Turns out my drivers side coil spring is broke. The recall was done Jan 2018, Nissan is refusing to do a good will repair on the failed recall. Im just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Both the Nissan Authorized Dealer/Mechanic and my independent mechanic say there is no damage to the front end that would have caused the spring to break (car is accident free). I spoke with Nissan Customer Care and they dont know why it broke, admit it shouldnt have broke, wont tell me if this is going to be a 3ish year fix costing (at a discount) $1172. Anyone else or did I just get the luck of a bad draw?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it were my car, I'd throw in a quick strut. You can get one off of Rockauto for $60-$100. They are easy to install. Personally, I'd do both sides, then get an alignment... problem fixed.
Thanks for the advice, Ill look into it. At the risk of sounding dumb, will that take care of the coil spring? I answered my own question via google.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
300 Posts
At the risk of sounding dumb, will that take care of the coil spring? I answered my own question via google.
If google wasn't clear... Yes, a quick strut has the spring, strut and mount all in one easy to install package/system.

Personally, I like the quick strut replacement system/package.

Best of luck with the car!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If google wasn't clear... Yes, a quick strut has the spring, strut and mount all in one easy to install package/system.

Personally, I like the quick strut replacement system/package.

Best of luck with the car!!

Thank you 😊 your explanation was better than googles lol. Thanks again for the advice. Checking them out now!

·
Registered
524 Posts
If Nissan isn't paying for the new spring/repair take it to an independent mechanic. It's also not a bad idea to get 3 or 4 estimates for the work. I recently had the fuel pump changed in my mom's Grand Marquis. I got three estimates for pump installation only one was $250., one was $150-200 and the third was $60. All three were from local independent mechanics. I haven't looked closely at the front end of a Versa so I'm not sure what all is involved with changing the spring/strut but nearly $1200 sounds really expensive to me. I've taken springs/struts off on other cars, compressed the spring and put in new struts in an afternoon. If you can order the parts at Rock Auto and wait for them to come in you can likely save a significant amount of money over buying them at a local parts store.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If it were my car, I'd throw in a quick strut. You can get one off of Rockauto for $60-$100. They are easy to install. Personally, I'd do both sides, then get an alignment... problem fixed.
You seem pretty reasonable about the whole quick strut thing let me ask you this what would cause it to keep breaking over and over when you put two brand new ones on it and no other part around it is damaged and for a lack of putting it on a frame machine I cannot find any frame damage so in a perfect world there's nothing wrong and I keep snapping stuff for no reason any ideas? I mean I can be a little harsh on turns sometimes but I'm not playing speed racer out here.

·
Registered
300 Posts
You seem pretty reasonable about the whole quick strut thing let me ask you this what would cause it to keep breaking over and over when you put two brand new ones on it and no other part around it is damaged.
Quick struts should be lasting at minimum 50,000 to 60,000 miles. Either something in your front end is misaligned or some other parts are worn. After replacing the quick struts did you get a front end alignment??

You might also want to check the stabilizer bar end links, with the car on the ground (on its tires) see if there is any movement in that end link (it looks like a dog bone with the ends pointing in opposite directions). You can't check for wear if the car is off the ground, as the front end will be in a droop state.

Rockauto has the Moog greaseable end links for around $21 (each) - if you find wear in that item.

Are you hearing any sounds coming from the front end, rattles when you go over a bump (anything like that)??

And you say you've checked all the other front end parts, tie rod ends, control arm, ball joints, bushings, etc. and nothing is worn or has play in it??

·
Registered
7 Posts
When they were done one week I did the entire passenger side strut upper vertical lower control arm inner and outer tie rod and got an alignment the only thing I can do is the wheel bearing did the axle too but I've checked the wheel bearing several times and it's fine the next week I did the same thing to the driver side and got another line it because I have an alignment package where I can get as many as I want for a year drive good for about a week week and a half and boom it is doing the same thing the only possible thing I can think of is there was a very small impact on the passenger front before I bought the car which is where I keep snapping struts I can't find any sign of any framework or anything being out of whack and neither could several mechanics shops. Sucks cuz I really love my bracelet like I'm about to put money into the motor and shit.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have an alignment package where I can get as many as I want for a year.
Can you talk to the alignment tech?? I'm thinking if the frame were bent (to the point) that you are re-breaking quick struts, he would have to make some major adjustments to get the car back into spec. He would also probably note it on his final report.
On rare occasions, I have seen new parts break or be defective (out of the box).
If your wheel bearing were bad, you would feel some play when you lifted the tire off the ground and checked. Moreover, I think you would hear a wheel bearing going bad. My girlfriend's Dodge had a bad wheel bearing (that I fixed) and it was LOUD! It was quite noticeable.
As far as the axle, try making a tight turn (go in a circle - right and left), do you hear any clicking sounds??
Also, are you noticing any vibrations when you drive?? Try different speeds??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.