Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone got a hold of my bank card # and bought $1200 worth of crap... I'm currently nursing a -700 balance in my account... Luckily M&T alerted me to the suspicious activity and I'll get the money back once I fill out some forms...
THEN, I get home and find that my dwarf hamster, Indy, passed away. Top it off with a horrendous work week and I am SET to go to the loony bin!

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
Sorry to hear that!

I think it's better to keep cash around instead of using a debit card all the time. You know how that is when people get a hold of it and next thing, your account has been wiped clean.

Yes, I'm guilty of using my debit card everywhere. I've had close friends and family tell me to use cash more often.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Yes this can happen when you use your debit card.

I work at a bank part-time so I know all about debit card fraud. I never use my debit card. I've had the same access card since I opened my account (when I was a youngster). That is why we stress to NEVER share your pin with anyone. While this is not the case for money being debited out of one's account, or card's being copied; money can be refunded back to customer's who have followed the access card policies and are not at fault.

I prefer to use visa to accumulate my travel points.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Our debit cards require a pin number, and most of our visa's now have chips which require a pin number just like a debit card. The US does not have chip technology yet. I don't know why they are so behind us in banking technology.

·
Registered
431 Posts
visa and mastercard make a KILLING when you sign and don't swipe... how, because transactions when you sign are more expensive than those where you enter a pin

adding a chip/not allowing debit cards to sign on transactions is a profit loss for them... SNEAKY

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
time to move to canada!! :)
Haha. When it comes to banking we are definitely up top here in Canada.
All new debit cards and visa cards come with a chip and pin. Access cards are copied on a daily basis, we go through them like water. It's unfortunate that it happens, but it does. I won't say where it happens ALOT, but I'll give you a clue. It happens where we all take our Versa's too when they are hungry.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Lol. Ya there is a lot of information to fill out, but as long as you have done your due diligence and followed the rules related to your access card, then the money will be refunded back to you. A good word of advice is to keep your w/d limits low. That way if the individual goes to a machine with your copied card, they can't withdraw very much money. Sometimes it's a pain for you but in the long run it's worth it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha. When it comes to banking we are definitely up top here in Canada.
All new debit cards and visa cards come with a chip and pin. Access cards are copied on a daily basis, we go through them like water. It's unfortunate that it happens, but it does. I won't say where it happens ALOT, but I'll give you a clue. It happens where we all take our Versa's too when they are hungry.
Not at the V diner!!!! It seems to make sense though... so easy to just swipe your card and leave. It must be pretty easy to steal numbers just as easily!

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
The key to using your access card is to NEVER let the store clerk swipe your access card (especially if it is out of your sight). Always swipe it yourself, if they insist on swiping it then I would think twice about using it there.

·
Registered
867 Posts
visa and mastercard make a KILLING when you sign and don't swipe... how, because transactions when you sign are more expensive than those where you enter a pin

adding a chip/not allowing debit cards to sign on transactions is a profit loss for them... SNEAKY
Must be different to here as if you have a Visa Debit account and you sign for the transaction your transaction is free....

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Must be different to here as if you have a Visa Debit account and you sign for the transaction your transaction is free....
I think he means that Visa and Mastercard charge a fee to vendors (I think).

Here when you use your Visa or Mastercard, with a chip, or pay pass, or with signature, you don't get charged for each transaction.

Chequing accounts have a monthly fee, each plan gives you so many transactions. We are allowed to use our debit cards in the US for free (surprisingly) :D

·
Registered
431 Posts
^ correct, vendors get charged by visa/mastercard monthly that's why certain vendors have minimum purchases and gas stations charge more for card transactions

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mcdonalds and all of those places have started accepting Visa and Mastercard. My sister's financé was born in Canada and lives in Virginia now.. He always talks aboutTim Hortons :)
He manages to go there when he visits his family (who now live in Buffalo, NY)

·
Registered
867 Posts
Hmmm, you can use your Visa almost anywhere in Australai now, from cafe's and fast foods to big supply chains. Mastercard is no where near as popular though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts