Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully that is.. I will be going to look at this beauty sometime soon :)

First off, its a 1984 Mazda RX-7 GS. Rotary Power :)

And the Money shot:

Thoughts? It runs and drives, but overheats due to a faulty thermostat which current owner is replacing before selling. Its a manual. Its rust free. He wants $600. He says hes just tired of working on it and wants a car he can drive fast right out of the box.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes the interior is maroon, and yes it has some rough spots, but with a little love it could be an awesome car for me :)

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Can't find a car that good for $600 here in salty rusty Ontario. Go for it! How's the head room?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't find a car that good for $600 here in salty rusty Ontario. Go for it! How's the head room?
I will find out when I go check it out this week :D

And I've been searching for a rust free project for the past few months with no luck. Here in Maine it is very hard to find cars as well :/ Luckily, this one is from the south :)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a neat project!
I'm really hoping I will be able to buy it. $600 is cheap. When I saw the pictures I was like, jeez, this guys gonna want at least $2500. No way I can buy it. Then he comes back with $600. I was like... "ummmm, do you mean 600, or 6000??" Its 600. Its a steal for a clean shell with a solid engine and transmission.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im already thinking about what I would do to it..

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Looks good man! My uncle had two of those. A red GS and a black one. his red one got stolen though :/ good luck with it! Hope you get it!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im heading down to see it Friday. I will be going with cash in hand. If its good, I will take it home.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
nice it looks good and for that price you cant beat it

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Even with some minor problems, $600 is still a bargain. The guy basically told me that he bought it as a project car but then got frustrated with the rotary engine and he just doesn't have the time to work on it anymore. Does anyone remember the last RX-7 I looked at? It was all in primer, missing a lot of exterior trim pieces, the engine was... well, it was an engine, and the rest of the bay looked like it was being held together by duct tape an bungee cords...

And he wanted $1200 for it! I'm guessing there will be some brake/suspension work since the car is 28 years old, and those components just go bad eventually, but we'll find that out once I get it home and stripped apart. First job will be a good wash :)

·
Registered
993 Posts
Not to mention its a rotary and when one thing goes bad alot goes with it, it a hard car to work on, but more power to you if you get it running well. Have you looked at any turbo fc rx-7? I like the body style on those.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There aren't many options around here. haha. And I am shopping on a budget

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Not my first choice but it could look real good once fixed. If I was going for that body style I get a Supra MKIII or 300zx, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've looked at a few 300's, some 240's, a 200, a couple 3000gt's, but all of them have either been too expensive or too fargone. This is the first one in decent shape I've seen.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I realize the cost and complication of the rotary engine, but this is a car I would really love to have, and since its not gonna be my dd, I don't have to worry about it. I can work as I go. If something goes wrong and I don't have the money to fix it, it can wait.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Go for it. Rotary engines have a small displacement but they can put out a lot of power.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts