Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Nissan Versa 1.8L 4AT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Versa hatchback with 142k miles and the transmission is starting to go out. I'm planning to do an auto to manual trans swap myself to save some money. Before anyone tells me to sell it to buy a newer car, my Versa is in no condition to sell, there are some other problems with it and I have done a rear seat delete. I also don't have a solid job to purchase a newer car and I love my Versa too much. If anyone has done a transmission swap before (Versa or similar car), how was the swap, what should I look out for, and how much did it cost you for parts and tools?

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Versa S sedan
40 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Yumi!

Here is one thread here that may have enough info to help you start things off. The OP was asking about swapping the CVT MR18DE to a manual 6-speed. Not the exact same process as with the 4-speed automatic I'm sure, but hopefully it can help.

CVT Swap (jakked14)

Ignore all the people saying "sell it". Only do what matters to YOU.

·
Registered
2009 Nissan Versa 1.8L 4AT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forums, Yumi!

Here is one thread here that may have enough info to help you start things off. The OP was asking about swapping the CVT MR18DE to a manual 6-speed. Not the exact same process as with the 4-speed automatic I'm sure, but hopefully it can help.

CVT Swap (jakked14)

Ignore all the people saying "sell it". Only do what matters to YOU.
Thanks Doug! Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything useful in the forum thread you linked. Most search results are from CVT Versas. I assume swapping from 4 speed might be similar to swapping from CVT, so I'll try to take a look around. There was something else that I just thought of that might be a minor issue with the swap which is swapping the ECU and instrument cluster and how that would impact the mileage reading. If you know anything about this let me know.

·
Registered
266 Posts
This would be a ridiculously expensive and time consuming project on any modern day OBDII compliant vehicle.

It's not just a matter of swapping gear boxes. You'll likely need new computers, which require programming. New wiring harness for the vehicle. New half shafts. Possibly a different sub frame and/or engine mounts. A new pedal assembly with master cylinder. New center console, etc.. This is just simple stuff that comes to mind. I'm sure there's more!

·
Registered
147 Posts
OMG...
this is major change...I think it would actually be more expensive buying the parts than savaging a good transmission from a junkyard. This is what I would do if I had to save some money...look around, find a good tranny and mount it myself.

For you project, I know the car has the harnesses for the clutch under the dash, driver side.
But the point is that you would also need to change the ECM with a MT one, and probably that needs to be linked to the corresponding BCM (the one behind the glove box) in order to reprogram the key. Otherwise it would give you a confirmation code that cannot be bypassed not even by a dealer.

My feeling is that you might get stuck anyway with mayor electronic issues, a part from the parts themselves.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The cost involved with swapping to a manual far exceeds the cost to rebuild the 4A/T, which is also about 1/4 the cost or replacing a CVT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can do a Google search to find a replacement tranny... it'll be the cost of the tranny and some kind of money for shipping... here is a Google search that I just did to help you out... I whole heartedly believe this is a much more cost effective way to fix you problem and keep your car on the road than all the stuff you'd have to either change yourself (and hope you get it all right) or pay somebody to do it for you (which at $100/hour typical mechanic rates, you'd find yourself hip deep in a money pit real fast)

Google search for a 2009 versa automatic transmission

Or, depending on your location, there may be a salvage yard stocked with more than one to choose from right down the street...

Plus, what if you go through all the trouble of switching tranny styles, and the used tranny you bought and changed everything for goes out...???

Take the time to shop around, find the best deal, and buy a used tranny. Please don't do a auto to manual swap. That is just (IMHO) ridiculous.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts