Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday rotated tires 2017 Versa 5sp. at 5.5 k miles, which was bought brand new. The thread for both rear tires was 8 mm (10/32nd), fronts were 6 mm (7.6/32nd) and 6.5 mm (8.2/32nd). Checking during this morning commute, the wheels balance after rotation feels even better (meaning that previously rear wheels, which now become front, have better balance then the previously front ones).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yesterday rotated tires 2017 Versa 5sp. at 5.5 k miles, which was bought brand new. The thread for both rear tires was 8 mm (10/32nd), fronts were 6 mm (7.6/32nd) and 6.5 mm (8.2/32nd). Checking during this morning commute, the wheels balance after rotation feels even better (meaning that previously rear wheels, which now become front, have better balance then the previously front ones).
Do you do the X-cross method like I did? For example, move the front tires to the back, and move the back wheels to the front on the opposite side? It would be a good idea to get the tires rebalanced like I believe Cobb mentioned except if you rotated the tires yourself, no balance machine.

This is where the tire shops get you: I've pretty much done everything mechanical on a car, but it's not like you can replace tires and balance them at home, since it requires specialized equipment that the tire shops know we don't have. I was looking at the cost of replacing the OEM Bridgestone Ecopia tires and while I can find them locally for $81 a piece, by the time Firestone adds the cost for mounting, balancing, and sales tax you are looking at $500-600 for four tires! :surprise

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you do the X-cross method like I did? For example, move the front tires to the back, and move the back wheels to the front on the opposite side? It would be a good idea to get the tires rebalanced like I believe Cobb mentioned except if you rotated the tires yourself, no balance machine.
No, I did not X-crossed tires, just swapped front and back tires on the same sides. By the way, this is how manufacturer recommends. X-crossed rotation is used when a 5-th wheel, a full size spare wheel, is included in the rotation. I do not know why Cobb X-crossing. May be because old habits die hard. I cannot think of other reasons.

·
Registered
940 Posts
When you change the direction of rotation on a previously run tire you shorten the life of it, nobody can show me otherwise and I have seen it happen catastrophically on cheaper crap tires. Radials are worse about it than the older bias ply or bias belted ones were. They come apart and if you see how the radial wraps you can clearly see the effect of it. The flexing occurs normally in one direction only and then reversing that flex can then delaminate the belts loose from the rubber as it is a whopping change from the way it was running before. The tire will accept it at first with new supple rubber but the older a tire gets the harder the rubber gets and then the problems begin to show up. Hard rubber HATES any change that forces the tire body to act differently from what it was before.

As well, that thing about the back tires being in better balance WILL change later and not for the better. The backs gradually ALWAYS get worse than the fronts and why I NEVER rotate. Yet you don't see a single word anywhere about that major issue on FWD cars.

I quit balancing at all some 10 years ago on 4 cars. The tires still go to 45K miles on 50K rated ones or they go bad from suncracking long before they can wear out, or they get torn up from all the road trash all the idiots let fall out of the construction pickup trucks here.

You guys do what you will, I pay for no balance and no road hazard ever and for tire ONLY with a free mounting. It gets no cheaper than that and I fix all my own flats with a tire typically having like 2-4 plugs in it by the time it is time to be replaced. Maybe 3 minutes to fix a flat.

Yes, I am well aware of what the rest of the world tells you but you need to look at what most of those 'experts' major interest is there like with all other things. Some of the things said just are not so, I have proven it out for many years now on a long stream of different cars. Modern tires and wheels are MUCH more in balance than they used to be and if you can get the idiot putting them on the wheel to not try to 'get you back' because you refused the balance then he puts the tire on with the heavy point dot opposite your stem and it works well like that. What they are supposed to do anyway but just try to find one competent enough to do it. Nope, they then just put twice as much balance weight on the tire as it would have needed if tire had been properly mounted. Incompetence surrounds you so much now you drown in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
amc49
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing