Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: I live in a rural area. The place I work is in an even more rural state that has a terrible habit of patching roads instead of repaving. I have to deal with rough, twisty roads that a Cosworth would love.

Unfortunately my 2015 Versa's default tires and suspension aren't up to the job.

Suspension: The soft, and surely cheap, springs create too much bounce when cornering at any speed above quick. I feel like I'm floating when I take a corner too sharply on good conditions. I have no complaints about the normal ride when I'm not in a hurry or driving for fun. It is unfortunate that I'm normally in a hurry or driving for the sake of enjoying driving. My question to you, Versa nation, is what can I do to stiffen the suspension so it isn't "floating" on corners at higher speeds?

Tires: They need to be wider. I live in a place that has snow for 4+ months out of the year and anything less than FWD/AWD and snow tires requires a level of testicular fortitude that I don't know I can provide given my desire to get my Versa to 300k.

TL;DR: I have a new Versa and a heavy foot. I need suspension and tire recommendations int he low/mid range with long-term reliability in mind.

So far I think I'm going to keep the stock rims/tires until the tires wear out and mount better tires on the stock rims for the good weather. I want to get a second set of rims to fit wider snow tires for the colder six months of the year. Since I have a heavy foot and know how to handle a corner in an underpowered FWD car I need advice on a harder suspension without sacrificing too much ride comfort.

·
Registered
519 Posts
TL;DR: I have a new Versa and a heavy foot. I need suspension and tire recommendations int he low/mid range with long-term reliability in mind.

So far I think I'm going to keep the stock rims/tires until the tires wear out and mount better tires on the stock rims for the good weather. I want to get a second set of rims to fit wider snow tires for the colder six months of the year. Since I have a heavy foot and know how to handle a corner in an underpowered FWD car I need advice on a harder suspension without sacrificing too much ride comfort.
I'm quite satisfied with the suspension in my Note, in fact, that was one of the main reasons why I chose the car, so someone else can chime-in on that subject.

With regards to tires, I know the OEM tires are optimized for fuel economy/rolling resistance with performance and traction towards the bottom of their priority list so I decided to go with the +1" upgrade which did not hurt the smooth ride I wanted. Other than the tires wearing faster than what I'd consider "normal", overall I'm quite happy with the Kumho PA31s I bought.

BTW, most tire experts will say going "wider" on snow tires is directionally incorrect. A narrower snow tire will outperform a wider tire (in ice and snow) anytime. Different story if you are going through mud or sand where wider is better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On my cars this past year I changed to General RT43's, which for an all season we were happy with. Not the lowest of rolling resistance, but we found they worked ok in snow. Not as good as a dedicated snow tire, but so far, so good. We plan to continue to using in winter weather--albeit, we usually stay off the roads during the worst of the storms.

Narrow is better, it results in higher pressure. Snow tires work by compacting snow into the tread; and a more narrow tire is going to use more force. How big of an effect is it? Changing 10mm is probably not a huge difference, so 185 vs 195 is probably nothing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
supton
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing