Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Versa Note 1.6 CVT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Versa with the 1.6 and CVT. I’ve owned it for a year and when I bought it it had around 7,400 miles. Since then I’ve put around 25k miles on it. That being said, would flooring it occasionally hurt the engine and/or transmission? It seems like it doesn’t have the acceleration it had when I bought it. I’ve had experience with “blowing the Soot” out of it with cars with bigger engines and “regular” auto transmissions. Just wondering if anyone has tried it and what were the results.

·
Registered
303 Posts
As long as your Versa is properly maintained, there's no worries with using max acceleration anytime you need it. But unless you are willing to do dyno testing, there's no objective way to see if you're getting results. Personally, I don't see how you're not using max throttle in regular city driving anyway...

·
Registered
2014 Versa Note 1.6 CVT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I drive it mostly on highways. Here recently I’ve been getting it up to about 4K RPM when taking off and it seems to be doing ok. I used to take off at around 3k and when I got up to 40 mph the transmission acted like it wasn’t sure what gear it wanted to be in or whatever the CVT equivalent is.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I drive it mostly on highways. Here recently I’ve been getting it up to about 4K RPM when taking off and it seems to be doing ok. I used to take off at around 3k and when I got up to 40 mph the transmission acted like it wasn’t sure what gear it wanted to be in or whatever the CVT equivalent is.
A CVT will typically vary RPM on the highway, depending on throttle position, wind, elevation and other factors. Since a CVT has infinitely varied gearing, it'll try to find the most efficient RPM to maintain the desired speed.

·
Registered
2014 Versa Note 1.6 CVT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A CVT will typically vary RPM on the highway, depending on throttle position, wind, elevation and other factors. Since a CVT has infinitely varied gearing, it'll try to find the most efficient RPM to maintain the desired speed.
I’m sure I speak for just about everybody on this forum but I hate the CVT! I probably wouldn’t hate it so much if there weren’t so many stories of it failing and it costing $3k or so to replace!

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
287 Posts
I’m sure I speak for just about everybody on this forum but I hate the CVT!
Have you ever thought about a manual transmission Versa??

I'm getting 40 mpg city/highway combined with my manual Versa. I shift when I want to. If I need a little more power to get on the highway, I shift accordingly.

That 3rd pedal can really be your friend!!

·
Registered
2014 Versa Note 1.6 CVT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you ever thought about a manual transmission Versa??

I'm getting 40 mpg city/highway combined with my manual Versa. I shift when I want to. If I need a little more power to get on the highway, I shift accordingly.

That 3rd pedal can really be your friend!!
I’ve thought about switching it over to a manual when (and hopefully if) the CVT goes out depending on if switching is possible and how much it costs.

as for mpg I get around 35-38 combined highway and city.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I’ve thought about switching it over to a manual...
The Dealership where I purchased my car is constantly calling me about upgrading - (trading in the car). Each time I tell them I am very happy with the car and don't wish to trade it in.

Perhaps you could ask your dealer, if they want to "make a deal". I would guess the best time to trade in a CVT Versa is while the transmission is working perfectly.

·
Registered
2014 Versa Note 1.6 CVT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Dealership where I purchased my car is constantly calling me about upgrading - (trading in the car). Each time I tell them I am very happy with the car and don't wish to trade it in.

Perhaps you could ask your dealer, if they want to "make a deal". I would guess the best time to trade in a CVT Versa is while the transmission is working perfectly.
That’s an idea. I still owe about 11k on it and I should have it paid off in four years. When I bought the car I added a warranty that would replace all major components like the engine or transmission until the car is paid for. It added an additional 2k to the price but I figured it would be cheaper doing it like that than paying out of pocket if something were to fail while I’m making payments. Of course with my luck the CVT will go out the day after that warranty expires!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Of course with my luck the CVT will go out the day after that warranty expires!
Reminds me of this Kawasaki KLR650 I had... I purchased the extended warranty and the thing was in and out of the shop constantly (under warranty). I mean every month there was an issue.

On the day the warranty ended, I traded it in on a new Yamaha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.