Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the Nissan versa sedan S model, and was checking and found that I have pre-wires for the fog lights hanging down. So if I buy some fog lights, and plug the fog lights into the wires that are pre-wired how do I go about turning on the fog lights & what do those wire do?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a 2009 Versa S sedan that I added fog lights. The best way is to buy a new light switch stalk that has the fog light switch built in. I believe I paid about $45 several years ago and it was very easy to install and it activated the fog lights without doing any programming. Another way is to carefully tap into the wires going to the lights and install your own switch. A drawback of doing this is that the fog lights will not shut off when the high beams are turned on as required in some states, whereas, the new stalk method will!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have a 2009 Versa S sedan that I added fog lights. The best way is to buy a new light switch stalk that has the fog light switch built in. I believe I paid about $45 several years ago and it was very easy to install and it activated the fog lights without doing any programming. Another way is to carefully tap into the wires going to the lights and install your own switch. A drawback of doing this is that the fog lights will not shut off when the high beams are turned on as required in some states, whereas, the new stalk method will!
So I can just connect where the hanging wire is for each fog light and buy the switch stalk and put it were the oem one w/o fog switch is and it will work like that?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anyone know were I'd go about finding a oem Fog Light headlight signal switch w/ fog light?
Part number?

·
Registered
236 Posts
anyone know were I'd go about finding a oem Fog Light headlight signal switch w/ fog light?
Part number?
You can try VersaSpeed as they are a sponsor on this site. As long as you are pre-wired which most S model are.

The kit comes with the stalk. Remove the screws on the column plastic cover and you pull out the old stalk like pulling a tooth, straight out. It is a plug in module. Replace it with the new stalk

Nissan OEM Driving Lamp Kit

·
Registered
377 Posts
It's available at courtesy parts for $79. Most after market fog kits come with a switch, I am thinking of doing that and mounting the switch in the spare spot to the right of the mirror adjusts.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's available at courtesy parts for $79. Most after market fog kits come with a switch, I am thinking of doing that and mounting the switch in the spare spot to the right of the mirror adjusts.
Yea I was thinking of doing it that way too, it would be cheaper, if I put the switch there will it say on when the high beams are on? Also My car is already wired and aftermarket kits come with lights, switch, wiring harness, so would I just ignore the factory wiring and re-wire it if I buy the aftermarket fog light kits?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can try VersaSpeed as they are a sponsor on this site. As long as you are pre-wired which most S model are.

The kit comes with the stalk. Remove the screws on the column plastic cover and you pull out the old stalk like pulling a tooth, straight out. It is a plug in module. Replace it with the new stalk

Nissan OEM Driving Lamp Kit
So If I buy the oem fog light kit, All I do is mount the fog lights and plug in were the pre-wire is and then replace the stalk with one in kit and I'm done? right?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I bought my fog lights off of ebay and put the switch next to the mirror in the spare space. The switch that came with the kit didn't light up so i bought one that did from radio shack. Works great. Spent maybe $80.00. Have gotten lots of compliments so far. Was way cheaper than buying oem's.

·
Registered
377 Posts
How/Where'd you run the switch through the firewall?

·
Registered
105 Posts
So If I buy the oem fog light kit, All I do is mount the fog lights and plug in were the pre-wire is and then replace the stalk with one in kit and I'm done? right?
Yes, that is correct. No holes to drill or wiring to run. Quick and easy and professional looking since it is OEM.

Frank 2009 Versa S sedan MT-6 with 28900 miles

·
Registered
236 Posts
You are correct if you get the OEM kit

. Now there are many different ways as mentioned. There are advantages if you run your own harness in that you can use the high beams with the fogs, on the other had, if you get the OEM kit, the stalk will only let the fog lights on with low beam. OEM has a adjustable lens and more like plug them in to the pre-wired harness and plug in the stalk and your done. Other kits you can run your own wires and add the switch, so there are many alternatives depending on which one you are comfortable with.
The end point is that you will have fogs.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You are correct if you get the OEM kit

. Now there are many different ways as mentioned. There are advantages if you run your own harness in that you can use the high beams with the fogs, on the other had, if you get the OEM kit, the stalk will only let the fog lights on with low beam. OEM has a adjustable lens and more like plug them in to the pre-wired harness and plug in the stalk and your done. Other kits you can run your own wires and add the switch, so there are many alternatives depending on which one you are comfortable with.
The end point is that you will have fogs.
Agree on you and as far as i know the latest tech. brought the most advanced fogs whereas you need not to worry drilling or putting holes on vehicles since they are directly fitted. On the other had OEM seemed to bring the best quality..

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm going the factory route with my '12 1.8S HB. I bought a used factory stalk with the fogs switch out of a 2006 Infiniti G35 sedan, without the auto lights function. Fits perfect, looks perfect, works perfect, plug and play. Took all of 10 minutes to install, but I probably could've done it in 5. It cost me $25.00 shipped on ebay. The yellow-tinted factory style fog lights kit is on its way. It includes the switch, wiring, and plastic bezels. I'll just use the lights and maybe the bezels, depending on how they fit. Otherwise, I'll just cut the centers out of my factory pieces. I bought a set of the walmart fogs, but I didn't really want to "rig" them to fit in the bumper, and I decided I didn't want to hack my factory wires or run any new wires through the firewall. I'll end up having $111.99 including shipping in my whole yellow-tint, factory-style foglights with the factory switch. Yes, that's more than just buying the walmart fogs, but it's all bolt-in with no hacking. Plus, all my switch holes in the lower left dash are already full from the factory, so I didn't want to cut a hole anywhere for a new switch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.