Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am asking mytself about buying oem kit or wire and install a switch for my fog light. Normally on the OEM the switch is located on the light arm or in the dash?

the debate is open !

·
Registered
1 Posts
OEM foglights

What model Nissan do you have? I can guide you through the installation for a 2007 Versa SL sedan. I went with OEM lights because some after market light kits are for off-road use only plus I wasn't sure how well they'd hold up. I paid around 100 bucks for the lights and another 75 bucks for a new switch, both of which you can order online. If your car is already prewired for fog lights all you need to do is pop the foglight covers and slide the lights right in. The wiring connector should be dangling down in the same vicinity. You may need to go through the bottom of your car by removing some screws and plastic panels to reach the fog light area. Each fog light has a socket into which you plug the connector. Next, I used a Dremel with a cutting tool to cut the holes out of the covers and then lightly sanded around the edges with 120 grit fine sandpaper. Next, you will need to look at your switch. For the 2007 Versa, this is the turn signal/headlight arm to the left of the steering column. If your car isn't equipped with a switch that operates the fog lights then you will need to order one. The Nissan part no. is 25540 for a 2007-2009 Versa. To replace the switch, you will need to remove the three screws underneath the steering column, but first unlock the steering column. After you get to the switch area, remove the switch by depressing the two clips holding it into place. Install the new switch and you should hear a "click." Replace the steering column covers and try out the fog lights. They will only work when your headlights are in the low-beam position. They will not work in the high-beam position or on their own. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Here's the good news. You can have after market fogs with the OEM stalk with fog switch. When you take the stalk apart, you will see that there are 2 wires coming from the fog switch. You could easily tap the aftermarket wires into the 2 wires, and use it to turn on your after market fogs, while maintaining OEM looks. I personally had OEM fogs, and loved them. But it's all up to you....

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
Here's the good news. You can have after market fogs with the OEM stalk with fog switch. When you take the stalk apart, you will see that there are 2 wires coming from the fog switch. You could easily tap the aftermarket wires into the 2 wires, and use it to turn on your after market fogs, while maintaining OEM looks. I personally had OEM fogs, and loved them. But it's all up to you....
That doesnt apply to base models(since they aren't pre-wired for fogs), does it?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
That doesnt apply to base models(since they aren't pre-wired for fogs), does it?
Im not sure what you mean? Cause you have a base model, so no, you can't have OEM fogs. If you install a set of after market, you can use the OEM stalk, instead of the switch that comes with the after market kit. There are two wires in the stalk. When you connect the after market wires to those wires, you can use the stalk instead of the switch that comes with your kit. But you need the OEM stalk with fog. Regardless if it is OEM or after market, the OEM stalk with fog can be used. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
Im not sure what you mean? Cause you have a base model, so no, you can't have OEM fogs. If you install a set of after market, you can use the OEM stalk, instead of the switch that comes with the after market kit. There are two wires in the stalk. When you connect the after market wires to those wires, you can use the stalk instead of the switch that comes with your kit. But you need the OEM stalk with fog. Regardless if it is OEM or after market, the OEM stalk with fog can be used. Hope this helps.
It does help, thanks. Would it be hard to connect the aftermarket wires to the wires in the stalk? I have Wal-Mart fogs by the way.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I shouldn't be. It's just two wires. It's a 50/50 chance. Doesn't work, flip the wires, ;) Just tap into them, and route the wiring out of the stalk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In the good ol'days, the fog light switch which came with the light stalk effectively used to have a seperate turn on wire solely for foglight control. But on the Versa, 2007 & up, this is not the case anymore: the foglight signal comes in a multiple input/ multiple output (called MIMO) which is then deciphered by the BCM (Body control module), then the BCM send a signal to the IPDM (Intelligent power distribution module) via the CAN line that tells "ok activate the foglight relay" to lit the foglights... From what I've found, only the SL model has the possibility of adding the factory foglight and controls (because of those computer things). So if you have an S model, the solution I would suggest is to go with OEM foglights, but with a dedicated wiring+fuse and a standalone switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, Touch is right about the SL being prewired; courtesy Nissan also warns that this kit is for the SL model; I did the same install on an Altima a couple years back, easy and staightforward. I have yet to determine if my S opt+ model has the required BCM/IPDM signals for this OEM kit; I'll try to get my Versa connected to a Consult, maybe from there I'll be able to "activate" the fog option (hopefully the cruise control also!!!).

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
In the good ol'days, the fog light switch which came with the light stalk effectively used to have a seperate turn on wire solely for foglight control. But on the Versa, 2007 & up, this is not the case anymore: the foglight signal comes in a multiple input/ multiple output (called MIMO) which is then deciphered by the BCM (Body control module), then the BCM send a signal to the IPDM (Intelligent power distribution module) via the CAN line that tells "ok activate the foglight relay" to lit the foglights... From what I've found, only the SL model has the possibility of adding the factory foglight and controls (because of those computer things). So if you have an S model, the solution I would suggest is to go with OEM foglights, but with a dedicated wiring+fuse and a standalone switch.
If you have S with power package, then you are also prewired. I did this on my 09 S sedan with power package. Everything is there just like the SL. No power package = No fog light wiring.

·
Registered
132 Posts
In the good ol'days, the fog light switch which came with the light stalk effectively used to have a seperate turn on wire solely for fog light control. But on the Versa, 2007 & up, this is not the case anymore: the foglight signal comes in a multiple input/ multiple output (called MIMO) which is then deciphered by the BCM (Body control module), then the BCM send a signal to the IPDM (Intelligent power distribution module) via the CAN line that tells "ok activate the foglight relay" to lit the foglights... From what I've found, only the SL model has the possibility of adding the factory foglight and controls (because of those computer things). So if you have an S model, the solution I would suggest is to go with OEM foglights, but with a dedicated wiring+fuse and a standalone switch.
This thing really sucks to read because I'm getting ready to install my OEM fog lights this weekend. im always keeping my budget 3k for the lighting. Guess the HID is more of a foglights and might be considered a lifetime investment to me. On the other hand, it's easy to upgrade parts with the help of DIY kits out there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm new to this forum and thanx for the acceptance. I have a 2009 Nissan Versa S Base model with an option to install Foglights (old news, I know). I just installed a new stalk with fog light switch on it but, can not find the wiring harness for it. I noticed at the engine compartment on the right side, there is a large square fuse panel. On it, I see FR fog lights 15A fuse. With the engine off, I could hear the relay opening and closing, so I know this thing could be hooked up. I just need more info. Preferably, step by step. Thanx again.

·
Registered
105 Posts
On my 1.8L S Sedan I replaced the stalk and on mine the wires are already in the harness down by the fog lights so all that was necessary was to plug the cable into the fog light. Just take a careful look behind the headlights and hopefully you will find the spare wire and plug that is ready to go.

Frank 2009 S sedan MT-6 with 76k miles

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.