Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have a 2007 ford taurus V6 with 64,000 miles on and its having problems starting.

All the lights come on but when you turn the ignition the lights get low and it cranks, cranks, cranks, but doesn't start. Then I wait a few seconds and it finally starts.

I checked the battery and it has a lot of acid on the negative cable.

going to clean the terminals, negative and positive and see if that helps.

what's the best product to clean battery cables? should I add some electrolytic grease?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
i had one with lots of corrosion around one terminal. that one the cable was almost corroded through, hidden by the corrosion itself [the green fluffy gunk right?] bought a new terminal connector $2 and re attached the terminal, removing all corrosion safely first of course. also check connection from battery to starter itself. could be many more things too really but i'm not a mechanic, just owned lots of high mile cars, my 2cents:)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had one with lots of corrosion around one terminal. that one the cable was almost corroded through, hidden by the corrosion itself [the green fluffy gunk right?] bought a new terminal connector $2 and re attached the terminal, removing all corrosion safely first of course. also check connection from battery to starter itself. could be many more things too really but i'm not a mechanic, just owned lots of high mile cars, my 2cents:)
Thanks for reply :thumb2:

yes it does have that green fluffy gunk all around the terminal. I was thinking about replacing the terminals Negative (-) and Positive (+) so I might as well do that. cheap and easy fix

and yes, it could be so many other things too =) so I guess I can start with the basics, from the terminal connections, then check wire connections make sure everything is connected nice and tight.

one thing I noticed, after it was running, I shut the engine off, then I started then car again and it started just fine.

it acts up only when is sitting for more than 10 hours or so.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like the battery is starting to get weak, and won't hold a charge very long.
Yup,
that too, if replacing the terminals and keeping the positive and negative cables cleaned from acid doesn't fix it, then I will take the battery to advance auto and get it tested and see if it holds the charge.

as off right now something is keeping the battery to stay fully charged 100%

I will keep you guys posted on this

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
today before starting car, check voltage across battery. I fit's not between 12 and 14.5 volts, it is suspect. google correct voltage etc too.
i got 290000km out of my last nissan battery, but much less from my last ford minivan battery

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
All the corrosion can drain the battery try cleaning it an easy way is baking soda and water it will foam up like crazy then just wash it off and repeat till it doesn't foam anymore. All the corrosion is the battery leaking acid it's a sign of it getting bad I had it happen with my dakota and I had to clean it like 2 times a week till I got a battery for it. But if you don't clean it it will just keep going dead.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah it keeps leaking a lot of acid =( I was going to replace the battery terminal post but that's not the problem. the battery is leaking
I think I like the OEM better than this bigger terminal post. I took a pic of the battery. at least the factory battery terminal post has a pastic cover and keeps the positive cables covered and not exposed just like on the Versa

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She's now fixed and running good :thumb2:

after having really low temps last night, this morning it didn't want to start.
the dash didn't want to light up, the gages on the cluster were acting weird, it was not cranking, just making a click click sound coming from the alternator or somewhere in that area, and it didn't have enough voltage to run all the electrical parts

After installing a new interstate battery... BINGO!!!

The lights on the dash were brighter, the headlights were brighter, it was like life coming back into her again :Angel_anim:
so I started the engine... and no joke, she starts like a brand new Taurus! :cheers2:
I think she starts a little bit quicker than my V so my V might be getting on the road to battery replacement pretty soon :thumb2:

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hello!

I have a 2007 ford taurus V6 with 64,000 miles on and its having problems starting.

All the lights come on but when you turn the ignition the lights get low and it cranks, cranks, cranks, but doesn't start. Then I wait a few seconds and it finally starts.

I checked the battery and it has a lot of acid on the negative cable.

going to clean the terminals, negative and positive and see if that helps.

what's the best product to clean battery cables? should I add some electrolytic grease?
This has been posted late in time but just an additional. personally, im using automotive grease. you can use an old toothbrush dipped in the solution, scrub the mixture into the connectors and battery terminals and that's it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts