Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Versa S. Do these have a tow hook for for towing? Mine didn't come with any for some reason. Also where do you screw it in? It has a little cutaway on passenger side of bumper but can't open it with my fingers. Afraid to pry on it for fear of breaking something or chipping the paint.

·
Registered
333 Posts
No hook is included, but there is a threaded hole under that cutaway you found on your bumper. Open the hood and push tabs of that plastic cutaway from inside.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
(laughing at that last sentence)

I for one would NEVER tow a car based on those attachment points. The thread alone is too small to cover the type of stress you can easily get towing a car. They were made to hold the car in place on a car-carrier with brakes and parking gear gear set ONLY and many cars have been damaged using them to tow with.

If you could see how unsubstantial the front bumper construction under the bumper cover generally is on cars today you'd know why to never use the location there to put the entire car weight against.

I ignore them to always use something further back under the car, the towpoint must be hooked into a much more substantial part of the car. Modern bumpers no longer do that in many many cases. One good jerk with the towing car taking up slack can malform the bumper instantly as it bends out of proper shape, they are no longer nearly as thick in material as they used to be and are INTENDED to give way fairly easily as part of the crumple zones on the car for crash protection. BTDT.

Why many of the carmakers no longer include the hooks with new cars, the including of them insinuates the car can use them to tow and they've had enough of lawsuits from people who cannot tow properly to yank them clean out. Those hooks are a joke.

Having said that, yours and do what you will, you always do.

·
Registered
333 Posts
(laughing at that last sentence)

I for one would NEVER tow a car based on those attachment points. The thread alone is too small to cover the type of stress you can easily get towing a car. They were made to hold the car in place on a car-carrier with brakes and parking gear gear set ONLY and many cars have been damaged using them to tow with.

If you could see how unsubstantial the front bumper construction under the bumper cover generally is on cars today you'd know why to never use the location there to put the entire car weight against.
Edited..
For what it worth, towing hooks were included by OEM, together with spare tires and scissor type jacks, with my both Toyotas: Echo and Yaris. So I would assume they were included not for benefit of holding the car in place on a car-carrier, but to actually pull the car.

When one of those cars needed to be towed to a body shop (somebody rear-ended it at low speed), a tow truck driver sent by the insurance company, specifically asked me if I have that towing hook, and used it to pull the car on his flat-bed truck.

I do not comment on how feasible to use the front bumper as an attachment point for towing. Just share what I saw.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also had a tow truck driver ask me where my hook was. I told him I didn't have one so he hooked it somewhere on the undercarriage.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Of course they ask you about the hooks, it is the easiest hookup they can do. Do you expect the people who do more damage towing over anybody else to care about the strength of the tow point??? Ridiculous. Just try getting a tow driver to pay for any damages done to your car, I dare you. You are relying on the same guys who hook a hook around 400 volt cable on electric car thinking it is a piece of suspension to electrocute themselves. They are illiterate enough to often not understand what you can safely attach to under the cars, I've had to stop them from wrecking mine before.

Somebody also needs to read what I posted above.

'...They were made to hold the car in place on a car-carrier with brakes and parking gear gear set ONLY...'

They posted this.......
'...
used it to pull the car on his flat-bed truck.'

That is NOT the same thing as towing a car with another car pulling it and all tires on the ground. Static pulling of a car up a trailer bed slope has no forward inertia and catchup to be concerned with like snapping the chain or rope with towed car at a dead stop, the forces are not comparable at all. Tow a car or two, you'll figure that out quick or wish you had.

The bumper supports commonly used on modern cars are half the thickness in steel gauge they used to be to save weight, they deform easy under the bumper cover which much of the time will not show it at all if only a lesser amount. Half or more of that support is commonly now only styrofoam, pull your cover and LOOK. The bumper support may well be made of 100% plastic too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got lucky then because the tow driver I had was pretty competent. He looked under the front bumper and said it looked pretty flimsy then went somewhere around the front suspension or frame and hooked, he then winched it up on his rollback. I don't think I would ever have it towed with wheels on ground, that's why I pay for AAA. I wanted to get one of them hooks in case I got one of them incompetent tow drivers and they hook it in the wrong spot on the undercarriage and damage something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts