Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my new to me 2011 Nissan Versa S hatchback and when I went to pick up the car they only gave me 1 key and 1 FOB. I was a little taken aback. In all my used car purchases I have always received two keys! When I expressed my desire and expectation to get two keys, they informed me that I would have to pay for the second key. Now, to be clear, I did not know ('cause I never thought to ask) that there was only 1 key when I signed the deal. Is it me or is this just strange? I understand (but don't like) the idea that I have to pay for a second FOB, but for a second key?
Side question: I understand that the key has to come from the dealership as it is programmed to my specific car, but can I get an aftermarket FOB? If not, can I purchase it at the dealer and program it myself?

·
Registered
302 Posts
That is strange, I've always expected two keys and two key fobs for a new car and I've never been asked to purchase the second one.
As for programming, I believe you have to take it to the dealership to get it programmed, your new set of key should've came with a metal tag with your specific serial number to help the dealers set it up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be clear: this was a used car purchase. My main issue was with the lack of disclosure that there was only one key being made available with this car. I never figured I needed to check that two keys were being made available before the deal.
Now I am simply looking elsewhere for support for my Nissan. Not happy with that dealership.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Being a used car it's whatever the dealership got when they acquired the car. Now if the dealership is just holding back a second fob that is shady. But if they only ever had one and you want two then I understand where they are coming from. I've purchased used cars before and never asked about the fobs. Some came with one and others came with two.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
A friend had a small car lot years ago, and used to hold back a key or two. Came in handy more than a few times for repossessions
edit So my point is it's fairly common to hold back a key or fob. Press the dealership a bit harder and a fob may "suddenly materialize"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Being a used car it's whatever the dealership got when they acquired the car. Now if the dealership is just holding back a second fob that is shady. But if they only ever had one and you want two then I understand where they are coming from. I've purchased used cars before and never asked about the fobs. Some came with one and others came with two.
Granted. My issue revolved around disclosure - should I have been made aware of the fact that there was only one key when I signed the deal? I did not even think to ask - I just expected two keys. The FOB may be different as it is often seen as "extra" item.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A friend had a small car lot years ago, and used to hold back a key or two. Came in handy more than a few times for repossessions
edit So my point is it's fairly common to hold back a key or fob. Press the dealership a bit harder and a fob may "suddenly materialize"
Interesting. May not apply here as it was a cash deal. I think it mat have more to do with the fact that I did not take their offer for an extended warranty. After I declined that, the way they treated me changed dramatically.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Same thing happened to me with the attitude after declining the warranty. I found one online a lot cheaper through curry nissan in MA and wasnt gonna pay my selling dealer more than that and they wouldn't do a match so too bad lol. The sales manager got real crappy after... Oh well I still got an awesome car and a great deal on a warranty. Paid $1388 for a sig plus 8 year 120k with no ded. Can't beat that. They wanted 1950 for 6 year...

Justin

·
Registered
143 Posts
My sister in law sold a used car to a friend. She lost one set of keys and FOB that never was found. Replacement cost was a few hundred dollars so she sold the car instead. I guess maybe the dealer only got a set of keys. I also know a repo guy. Yes, he obtains keys to repo cars. And, carries a gun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good News! Got the run around a few times, even after I offered to pay for the key and FOB. Some serious miscommunication at the dealership and too many hands in the pot related to the deal prompted some really sad and frustrating exchanges. After some serious backing and forthing with the dealership, a letter to the Dealership Manager, the Sales Manager, and Nissan Canada, AND returning my Dealership Plate covers - I received a call from the Manager. I received an apology, and an offer that included them coming to my house to pick up the car, a new 2nd key, and a new 2nd FOB! I would say that they did indeed make a serious effort to repair the relationship. I am in the mood to give them another chance and I will go back for my first need for service on my Versa - as an act of good faith. We'll see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
sucks you had to go through all that BS but glad it's working out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.