Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys use?

I've used Shell 87 and 91 V-Power. I noticed though that 91 runs lower rpms on the highway than 87. For example, cruising at 100kph I'll be at 3000rpm with 91. The same speed, 3300rpm with 87.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really? My "v's" only ever had Shell 87 (Plus I get air miles haha). But at 100km/h I'm at 2100 rpm and when I'm at 120km/h I'm at 2900 rpm. Did you find you got better gas mileage with V-Power?
Ah are you driving 6 speed or auto? I did actually get better mileage than 87 with 91. I can't really give exact figures, but the 91 fill lasted 3 days longer than the 87 fill.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ah are you driving 6 speed or auto? I did actually get better mileage than 87 with 91. I can't really give exact figures, but the 91 fill lasted 3 days longer than the 87 fill.
WOW 3 days! I guess it would depend on how much driving you do. My Versa is a CVT 1.8L. My average is 8.45L/100km. Best 7.99L/100km Worst 10.00L/100km. But for the cost of 91 octane it might just even out.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
meow_mix450: I use regular gas too ... I buy whatever is the cheapest, lol (but always stop at Canadian Tire for my CT money). And I never noticed my RPMS very high either and I too have the CVT 1.8L.
There is no way I'm dishing out more money for premium fuel, lol.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOW 3 days! I guess it would depend on how much driving you do. My Versa is a CVT 1.8L. My average is 8.45L/100km. Best 7.99L/100km Worst 10.00L/100km. But for the cost of 91 octane it might just even out.
Yea not much driving for me, but I just felt the difference on the highway, especially when passing. 1 instance was with another Versa, we went around a 18 wheeler in the middle lane and I came around sooner than the other guy lol.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Wow ... A baby indeed.

I'm reaching the 32K mark and mine will be 2 years on April 2 :eek:

My brother who bought his SE-R on 9/11/09 has over 10K already! He'll probably surpass me by the end of the year for sure.

My older brother told us this weekend that in just over a month he put over 8000 kms on his Mazda. LOL!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Wow ... A baby indeed.

I'm reaching the 32K mark and mine will be 2 years on April 2 :eek:

My brother who bought his SE-R on 9/11/09 has over 10K already! He'll probably surpass me by the end of the year for sure.

My older brother told us this weekend that in just over a month he put over 8000 kms on his Mazda. LOL!
haha mines not even a year old and I'm probably going to roll over 32,000km tomorrow to work.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
What do you guys use?

I've used Shell 87 and 91 V-Power. I noticed though that 91 runs lower rpms on the highway than 87. For example, cruising at 100kph I'll be at 3000rpm with 91. The same speed, 3300rpm with 87.
Your Versa is running at much higher rpms than my Versa.

I took the Redhill home and was doing 100km/h and my RMPS were at 2100 (actually just under 2100); and I always put the cheapest gas in her, lol.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Ive been using midgrade since day one of ownership. I havent experienced any other, and really dont want too. I also have been doing syenthic blend oil changes every three months. Ive got about 5800 miles on her, and april 22 will make 1 full year. And I havent had one problem.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Our octane rating is 85, 87 and 91. I usually go for the cheapest one that performs the best from my standpoint, which is the lowest grade octane. Haven't noticed any difference from premium to regular unleaded fuel when I drive.

You guys are wasting money on higher grade fuel. The recommended fuel according to the manual is what you guys should be using, there is a reason behind that. Octane in fuel reduces pre-mature burning in the carbon deposits which cause the engine to make a knocking sound. Almost all cars now are fuel injected so the ECU can calculate the correct amount of air/fuel mix within different temperature and environmental changes. Higher octane fuel are occasionally unburned, then it's sent into the catalytic converter and may cause a foul smell, similar rotten eggs. Over time that can cause the emissions to mess up. Vehicles with turbochargers/superchargers require higher octane.

What matters is the type of additives that are in the fuel mix, not the grade itself. Hopefully you guys can come to this decision over time!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your Versa is running at much higher rpms than my Versa.

I took the Redhill home and was doing 100km/h and my RMPS were at 2100 (actually just under 2100); and I always put the cheapest gas in her, lol.
Indeed, 6spd have shorter ratios than the CVT/Auto, they're made for efficiency not putting power to the ground. So in turn 6spd responds better, yet uses more fuel to do so. As I'll put it, more fuel = more fun to drive :chuckle:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Our octane rating is 85, 87 and 91. I usually go for the cheapest one that performs the best from my standpoint, which is the lowest grade octane. Haven't noticed any difference from premium to regular unleaded fuel when I drive.

You guys are wasting money on higher grade fuel. The recommended fuel according to the manual is what you guys should be using, there is a reason behind that. Octane in fuel reduces pre-mature burning in the carbon deposits which cause the engine to make a knocking sound. Almost all cars now are fuel injected so the ECU can calculate the correct amount of air/fuel mix within different temperature and environmental changes. Higher octane fuel are occasionally unburned, then it's sent into the catalytic converter and may cause a foul smell, similar rotten eggs. Over time that can cause the emissions to mess up. Vehicles with turbochargers/superchargers require higher octane.

What matters is the type of additives that are in the fuel mix, not the grade itself. Hopefully you guys can come to this decision over time!
:iagree: Very well said :) :thumb2: :goodpost:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.