Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oi. I just learned we all have to take a furlough day off every other week through February until our sales and profit pick up... Part of me is happy to have a random day off during the week (I work 10 hour days usually) but I'm annoyed that I'm not going to be able to save as much money as I had originally planned. I just rolled the last little bit of debt I had onto a low-interest credit card in September and now I won't be able to pay off as much as I wanted... Less money to throw around for fun stuff.

I know, I know, boo hoo, poor me! Other people don't have jobs or savings accounts or homes or cars, etc.

That doesn't mean this DOESN'T suck for me and I needed to bitch about it.
Thanks for listening.:8::8:

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I feel a 4day work week is around the corner for us too.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Where do you work? And what does 'furlough' mean? lol

I am working full-time at one job, and part-time at a different job. Six days a week for me until June (when the school year is up) ... It totally sucks the life out of me, but I'm making good money now.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Basically it means you get the day off, but you don't get paid for it. I work as a designer/manager in a sign company in Baltimore.
So YAY to sleeping in, but BOO to less money in the paycheck.
I was working a full-time job and a part-time job when I was in school. OMG. I never slept and I was always running around - I know how you feel. The money is always nice though! Payday=Employee Appreciation Day!

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Basically it means you get the day off, but you don't get paid for it. I work as a designer/manager in a sign company in Baltimore.
I was working a full-time job and a part-time job when I was in school. OMG. I never slept and I was always running around - I know how you feel. The money is always nice though! Payday=Employee Appreciation Day!
What is the name of your sign company?

I work for US Sign and Fabrication. I am a machine programmer. I program the waterjet. I also do customer service.

We spent close to $300,000 on a router, crane system (to move sheets of metal), building renovations and few new hires in 07/08. Economy tanked right after. I'm lucky to have a job at all.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I work in a Signs by Tomorrow - I'm part of a three store franchise - so we're a little bigger than some of the teensy tiny SBTs out there but we aren't as big as you guys. Our best investment has been a laser engraver... the worst investment IMO was a UV flatbed printer - the f_er never works!!!

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
I work in a Signs by Tomorrow - I'm part of a three store franchise - so we're a little bigger than some of the teensy tiny SBTs out there but we aren't as big as you guys. Our best investment has been a laser engraver... the worst investment IMO was a UV flatbed printer - the f_er never works!!!

We have three signs by tomorrow in our system from MD. But none have ordered anything from us in forever.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I remember hearing your company's name (4 or 5 years ago when I first started working here)... I don't know why they haven't ordered from you all. We do a lot of business with other SBTs and our Dundalk store has grown immensely so they do a lot of fabrication in-house. Believe me, if we need your help, I will be the first to bring up your name. Anything for another sign nerd.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Sounds like a cool job!!

I'm working two jobs, but I'm no longer a student. So I guess I shouldn't complain. But I still do, haha. My work weeks are Monday-Saturday, totalling about 43 hours each week, and have every Sunday off.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Sounds like a cool job!!

I'm working two jobs, but I'm no longer a student. So I guess I shouldn't complain. But I still do, haha. My work weeks are Monday-Saturday, totalling about 43 hours each week, and have every Sunday off.
I was thinking about getting another job for some extra Versa mods..

I work about 40 hours a week at my current job 7am-2:30pm (M,W, and F) and than 7am-3:30pm (Tue and Thur) and it feels like I don't have anytime to do anything. But I would REALLY like to have that extra cash for some parts..

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
I was thinking about getting another job for some extra Versa mods..

I work about 40 hours a week at my current job 7am-2:30pm (M,W, and F) and than 7am-3:30pm (Tue and Thur) and it feels like I don't have anytime to do anything. But I would REALLY like to have that extra cash for some parts..
Ya the one job I've had for over 5 years now ... Worked there part-time all throughout university. I still have the job for benefits, and the extra perks. Working at a bank does have some great extras ... low interest rate, good bonuses, free banking :) And I work with great staff ... Plus i need the job for the summer.
My new full-time job is at a school, full-time tutoring. I just received my Ontario certification, so I'm now a certified teacher. I'm hoping to get an interview this spring, to hopefully get on the supply list for September. But we'll see how it goes. For now, the tutoring is awesome. Pays really really well, and is not stressful at all. I love it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
i work monday thru friday 730-6pm. i also do moped modification/restoration and race prep on vintage 2 strokes. i usually work a few hours at night and one day a weekend on the bike stuff and all day on cars.

in the last year my shop laid off 4 of 7 guys, and we had our medical insurance cut, but other than cash bonuses, i have not noticed a drop in pay...... i miss my large bonuses

·
Super Moderator
585 Posts
Sorry to hear about that, that does suck, we worried about it where i work as well, it seems it comes and goes (Field service) need lots of freeezing rain so we can thaw crap out

·
Registered
622 Posts
Wow 4 of 7.. you must be good at what you do!

It sucks that the economy has become what it has.. we really need to get our stuff together here in the US.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
i work monday thru friday 730-6pm. i also do moped modification/restoration and race prep on vintage 2 strokes. i usually work a few hours at night and one day a weekend on the bike stuff and all day on cars.

in the last year my shop laid off 4 of 7 guys, and we had our medical insurance cut, but other than cash bonuses, i have not noticed a drop in pay...... i miss my large bonuses
That sucks.

A lot of people here have lost jobs too. Hamilton plays a big role in the steel industry; and we have US Steel and Dofasco in downtown Hamilton ... (Lord knows what we breathe in on a daily basis). However, a lot of individuals were laid off or let go in the past couple of years due to the recession.

I just happen to have two jobs in fields that were not affected by that; teaching and banking. Two things people need all the time! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts