Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I’m not car savvy at all so I hope this is the right thread to ask this question.

I have a 2009 Versa that’s showing low on the fuel gauge even when it’s full, I can get it to work again a bit by turning my car off and on again, then it gets a bit more accurate and will show if it’s full or half full. But any time I leave my car off for awhile and turn it on it will show empty again. I know that my tire pressure gauge battery in low, could that affect the gas gauge? Is it possible to fix on my own? Does a part need to be replaced? If so which part?

·
Registered
264 Posts
More than likely, your Versa has a poorly functioning fuel float in the gas tank. Unfortunately, this is incorporated in the fuel pump itself and is not an easy DIY. I'd also suggest scanning the ECM and BCM modules to see if there are any codes held in memory. The codes could offer an alternative explanation for this problem.

·
Registered
529 Posts
In my experience, the sending unit in the tank, or it's connector are the problem. I believe the wires run from the pump right to the cluster, so it could be either of those components or anything between them. If I had to guess, a new pump would fix it. You are able to get the sending unit separately, but a proper diagnosis is in order to prevent wasting money on unneeded parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

I had the same issue on my son's 2007 Versa. I made the mistake of replacing the fuel pump with a cheaper aftermarket one that ended up with the same issue about 6 months later.

Your fuel pump has electrical contacts on the float that register the level. Over time these get worn and dirty. Luckily I kept my son's original Nissan fuel pump and I cleaned the float contacts and it is now good as gold.

It is a pretty easy job. You just need some small cleaning brushes like these:

Office supplies Tool Font Electronic device Cleanliness

And some electrical contact cleaner:

Liquid Plant Personal care Material property Bottle

You will need to remove the fuel pump from the tank to do this (it's under the rear seat). Haynes have a how to in their manuals or you will find it online.

IMPORTANT: Removing the fuel pump should be done with a low/empty tank and remember to disconnect the battery to avoid potential sparks.

Give it a crack if you feel comfortable and it might just save some dollars.

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts