Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you all getting, I've had it for about 2 weeks now, put on about 600 miles so far and geting 29.5mpg much better then the truck which got about 18 or so

Its also nice filling up a tank at under $50 vs, about $75

Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
Had my V since early Feb. Car now has a touch over 7100 miles on it and it averages 25-26 MPG with about 95% city driving. Kind of disappointing.

Loaned it to my mother and father in law so they could take a 500 mile road trip and it averaged 27.6 mpg on the highway (65 mph most of the way, 70-75 mph in some areas that posts the speed limit as such). Very disappointing.

We don't drive it aggressively, as we rarely get it up over 2000 RPM when accelerating. It's our primary work commute car, and we thought were getting a vehicle that would provide much better fuel economy. Any ideas for boosting fuel mileage? ...nothing like a high-flow intake or exhaust, as it would take about 4-5 years to offset the cost in what we'd be saving in fuel costs.

·
Administrator
5,024 Posts
Is your versa manual trans? You don't want to lug the motor by not revving high, for example driving at 40mph in 6th gear so you can keep it at 1500rpms is hurting your mpg's even though your only at 1500rpms, your putting a extreme load on the motor.

I'm getting about 28mpg city. Which isn't amazing. I thought I was getting 32-33mpg but I miscalulated :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is your versa manual trans? You don't want to lug the motor by not revving high, for example driving at 40mph in 6th gear so you can keep it at 1500rpms is hurting your mpg's even though your only at 1500rpms, your putting a extreme load on the motor.

I'm getting about 28mpg city. Which isn't amazing. I thought I was getting 32-33mpg but I miscalulated :(
No, it's the CVT. Our daily commute is pretty much bumper to bumper at stop lights and intersections in hilly terrain, but there are stretches of road where traffic will move at a steady 30-40 mph (maybe 25-33% of the commute) before the stop and go hits again.

·
Administrator
5,024 Posts
No, it's the CVT. Our daily commute is pretty much bumper to bumper at stop lights and intersections in hilly terrain, but there are stretches of road where traffic will move at a steady 30-40 mph (maybe 25-33% of the commute) before the stop and go hits again.
Oh yeah i should have read your signature lol.

Yeah the stop and go traffic really kills your mpg's.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah the stop and go traffic really kills your mpg's.
But I'm thinking there's GOT to be some issue going on if it won't even get 28 on the highway. In fact, we've never gotten more than mid to upper 27's with it no matter what the ratio of city to highway driving is in a given tankful.

Oh well. I've scheduled an appointment at the dealer for this coming Monday. I'll post up whatever they find (or whatever I'm told).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Update
Welp, car's in the shop right now. Service Manager stated that they can run a diag on it, but if the CEL isn't lit, then there's likely not a problem. They said they'd have to run a fuel economy test on it, but that entailed burning topping my current tank of fuel (currently at 3/4 full), burning all of that, and measuring the results at my cost. I told them to run the diags and then call me before they charged me for fuel. Still waiting on a call from them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just got a call. They said they weren't able to find anything wrong via the diag machine, so there's nothing they can do.

They want me to provide a documented record of miles and fillups, and I did say that we have a road trip this week to Kansas City and back, so I'd record the miles, provide receipts, etc and report back. I'm thinking we'll be hard pressed to make 28MPG on this trip, just like all the others.

Thinking that Murphy's Laws were in full effect, I was going to tell them that so far we've got 105 miles on about 1/4 tank of gas (which equates roughly to 35MPG, but that wouldn't have helped much since the needle seems to drop faster once it gets to the 5/8 to 1/2 mark for some reason, so I withheld telling them that. It seems great from the beginning, but running down to when the LFL illuminates always tells the real story.

Oh well, onwards I go with fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i figured thats what they would say, another thought, are there a lot of hills where you have gotten really poor mpgs? Also what about how you accelerate, i myself have a heavy foot

·
Registered
23 Posts
i figured thats what they would say, another thought, are there a lot of hills where you have gotten really poor mpgs? Also what about how you accelerate, i myself have a heavy foot
There are some hills, but nothing really extreme or the constant rolling-type. However, there are a few that have stop signs or traffic lights at, so I need to get moving from a standstill.

As for accelerating, I've tried all kinds of driving.... light and slow (keep it under 2200 RPM), moderate (2500-3000 RPM), or pour on the coals (3000+ RPM). Right now I like to keep the RPM's at around 2300-2700 while initially accelerating and gradually let up as I approach my target speed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just logged the fuel mileage from the road trip my wife and I took.....

26.7 MPG average. Ugh. The posted speed limit is 70MPH for much of the way and we never exceeded that (typically 50MPH for longer stretches of road construction zones, which there were a few, and each were somewhere in the range of 3-7 miles long). Cruise control was used whenever possible. Engine RPM rarely exceeded 2,600 for the duration of the trip.

The following cargo was present:
-2 adults (~375 lbs combined)
-1 large suitcase weighing 42 lbs according to the airline scale.
-1 laptop and everything to go along with it in a case weighing ~12 lbs.
-All the manuals and whatnot in the glovebox, so I'll call it ~6 lbs.
TOTAL CARGO WEIGHT: ~435 lbs

Is anyone else experiencing laughable fuel economy from their Versa in similar conditions? I was hoping to get at least another 3 MPG.

I'm hesitant to even go back to the Nissan Service Center with the data, as I'm sure they'll want to do their own fuel econ test (all fuel at my expense), only to come back and say something to the tune of "We didn't find anything wrong".

I'm happy with the car getting 4-6 more MPG average per tank than my previous car, but I'm really not pleased it's nowhere near what other V owners are reporting. I'm beginning to think we made a mistake in choosing this car over the competitions offerings since we were shopping primarily for fuel economy. Guess we're screwed.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just logged the fuel mileage from the road trip my wife and I took.....

26.7 MPG average. Ugh. The posted speed limit is 70MPH for much of the way and we never exceeded that (typically 50MPH for longer stretches of road construction zones, which there were a few, and each were somewhere in the range of 3-7 miles long). Cruise control was used whenever possible. Engine RPM rarely exceeded 2,600 for the duration of the trip.

The following cargo was present:
-2 adults (~375 lbs combined)
-1 large suitcase weighing 42 lbs according to the airline scale.
-1 laptop and everything to go along with it in a case weighing ~12 lbs.
-All the manuals and whatnot in the glovebox, so I'll call it ~6 lbs.
TOTAL CARGO WEIGHT: ~435 lbs

Is anyone else experiencing laughable fuel economy from their Versa in similar conditions? I was hoping to get at least another 3 MPG.

I'm hesitant to even go back to the Nissan Service Center with the data, as I'm sure they'll want to do their own fuel econ test (all fuel at my expense), only to come back and say something to the tune of "We didn't find anything wrong".

I'm happy with the car getting 4-6 more MPG average per tank than my previous car, but I'm really not pleased it's nowhere near what other V owners are reporting. I'm beginning to think we made a mistake in choosing this car over the competitions offerings since we were shopping primarily for fuel economy. Guess we're screwed.

That does sound low, i average about 28 or so mixed in traffic, that does sound pretty crappy for being highway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My car is completely empty other than me, my tote bag, and the owner's manual...It really depends on how fast I drive. I have gotten up to 42 mpg, and I've gotten as little as 25 mpg. It is sort of annoying to me but sometimes I drive a lot faster than others.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.