Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm averaging 27 on my 2011 hatch and I'm ready to see those sweet 30s. I see some of you averaging well into the 30s.

Is there a break-in period I'm going to have to get through to get to the higher gas mileage?

What were your experiences?

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
The 1.8 Versa's do not get the greatest gas mileage. If you bought a V for that alone then the 1.6 is where it's at. But those only come in sedans. My 1.6 never has gotten below 33mpg and has a high of 46mpg (only happened twice so I don't note it in my sig). That high comes with careful driving and only doing the speed limit. If you want consistant 30's you may need to change your driving style. Go 5-10mph slower on the highway, limit your use of the defroster/AC, coast to and time lights, minimize slowing down on turns, and many other things.

Not saying the 1.8 isn't good and can't be a gas sipper. It definitely can as people have gotten 40mpgs from them. It's all on how you drive and for some cars it's easier to hit the magic 40 or in your case the magic 30. As far as breakin I have gotten similar mpgs from 0 miles to the current 55k I'm at now. Only time it changes is when I change how I drive.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Depends on how and where you drive. Winter months I get 20-22mpg, and summer is 25-27mpg, I have no hwy driving, ive never seen 30 in my case.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I just replied to your intro thread. In the summer I was getting 28+ mpg. However with winter time I've been getting 25-26. Right now I do a mix of city/highway driving. With the high gas prices here; I'm pretty happy with this car.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I get 28-33 city/highway driving with the 1.8 I followed the brake in in the owners manual and have used syn oil since I have had it. the only time I get bad MPG was when it snowed bad and I got 20 but the tank befor it was 29.5 and the tank after it was 30.014 city MPG. I just go easy on the starts and stops and watch my speed.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I recenty installed a scanguage II in my 1.8 hatch.

I just went through the first tank and calibrated fuel usage along with the speed.

Once set up properly, this thing gives usable insight into just what "mileage" means.

Out on the open highway, using good thottle modulation I see 40+ quite frequently.

Average MPG however does net mileage in the 20's with city driving, especially with the winter fuel mix.

Thing is, you'r foot really does a LOT to influence the overall economy of this "economy" car. The scanguage can show you exactly how.

I also get to keep an eye on coolant temp, voltage, and a whole host of parameters if I desire.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I don't get "stellar" mileage. I get around 24-26 mpg average per tank. That's a mix between highway and city. But I think the real reason why is because I live 6 minutes from work and the vehicle doesn't get a chance to warm up fully.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
the tanks are 13.2 gallons but you never use all of it. Even when running out of gas I bet there is some still in the tank the pump can't pick up. If calculating mpgs then run it low, reset the trip meter, refill until it clicks off the first time. Then drive the car a bit and when time to refill the car divide miles driven by gallons required to refill to that first click.

For most accurate results use same gas station and same pump. Also fill the car slowly as gas rushing down the filler neck can cause the pump to click off prematurely resulting in a crazy high mpg number for that tank but then a really low number for the next. Best is to take an average of several tanks. This is the reason I don't state my highest mpg is the 46mpg I have seen a couple times.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
so what are real world city driving MPG for a 2011 CVT?

Will it get 30 or more around town with an easy foot?
not a chance I'm sorry to say. Prove me wrong though :thumb2:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.