Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something very concerning happened to my daughter this evening as she drove her 2016 Nissan Versa hatchback home from work. There have been no previous signs of trouble or symptoms of any problems.

About halfway home, she was stopped at a stoplight. When it turned green, she released the brake pedal and pushed the gas pedal. She says it wouldn't "give" at all. Neither would the brake pedal. All of the warning lights came on suddenly. The engine continued to run. She turned on her hazards and immediately called us. As we were talking to her, a man who had seen what happened and pulled into a nearby gas station ran back and helped her get the car into the gas station. The strange thing is that she didn't have to put it into neutral and he didn't have to push. She was able to get just enough acceleration by pressing the gas pedal as hard as she could. Power steering was out, and power brakes were out. By the way she described the gas pedal, it sounds like "power acceleration" was out, but I had no idea there was even such a thing.

She pulled into the gas station, turned off the car, waited a minute, restarted the car, and everything was normal again.

I arrived a few minutes later and couldn't see anything out of the ordinary with the dashboard lights. I drove it home and didn't notice anything odd.

This is concerning because she is supposed to return to college this weekend.

Question 1: Does this situation seem computer related?
Question 2: Is a Nissan dealership recommended ( so that they can run diagnostics), or would a local body shop (one that I trust) work in this situation?

Thanks...

·
Registered
788 Posts
With something this serious, I would suggest taking it into the dealership to have it diagnosed both the engine and transmission. There could be some stored codes that will give them an indication as to what might be causing the problem she had. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
59 Posts
!) Yes, this is a computer-related problem. The Versa has a self-diagnostic system that can help figure out what the problem is.

2) You might ask if the local body shop has a good OBD2 code reader that can pull codes held in memory. If not, the dealership can do it with an expensive machine called CONSULT 3. They usually charge an hour of shop time to hook it up for diagnostic purposes.

Welcome and good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I took the Versa to a local Nissan service department. They pulled the codes and found nothing related to what happened. However, the inspection revealed about $2000 of recommended work (of course). Of the 7 items the inspection revealed, only one could be related to what happened -- BATTERY FAILED LOAD TEST. I need to get clarification from them as to what this means exactly. Is it just a low battery? If so, I can't imagine that this was the problem because the engine was running. I've only heard of battery-related issues while trying to START the vehicle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Battery related problems don't only occur upon startup. If the current battery is weak, it could fall below the voltage needed to adequately run all the systems in your Versa. Batteries have been known to fail in modern cars within as little as 4 years, particularly if they're not charged regularly. It's an easy fix, but something to keep in mind for the future.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I took the Versa to a local Nissan service department. They pulled the codes and found nothing related to what happened. However, the inspection revealed about $2000 of recommended work (of course). Of the 7 items the inspection revealed, only one could be related to what happened -- BATTERY FAILED LOAD TEST. I need to get clarification from them as to what this means exactly. Is it just a low battery? If so, I can't imagine that this was the problem because the engine was running. I've only heard of battery-related issues while trying to START the vehicle.
If a battery fails the load test, it is time to get a new battery. You can measure the voltage of a sitting battery, and it may read 12 volts which means nothing it regards to its performance under load. If you have a battery with a bad cell, it can still read 12 volts, but when placed under load it will fail to put out the necessary power to get the job done. With all the electronics in today's vehicles, a poorly performing battery can cause all kinds of issues. Usual battery life can be around 4-6 years. Good luck...........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts