Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Nissan Versa SV (bought it Apr 2020); car has about 7200 miles; ever since I've had the car it makes the following noise: when I come to a stop (like in my garage, into a parking lot/spot; at a stop sign/traffic light, even when I go over a speed bump, the car makes a "sloshing" sound; the sound is coming from the rear of the vehicle and sounds like it's the gas in the tank making noise; the noise is loud and annoying; at my recent oil change, I had Nissan check this out and I was told that the noise is from the gas sloshing in the tank and that the sound is normal; I've driven many cars and I've never had a car make this sound; anyone else experience this? Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
69 Posts
How full is the tank??

Are you hearing a difference if the tank is 1/4 full, 1/2 tank, 3/4 full or completely filled??

·
Registered
511 Posts
OP, is the sound correlated to the rate of deceleration before stop?

Also, is it related to pushing the brake pedal? For example, you can came to stop slow decelerating by gently applying pressure to the brake pedal. Or you can come to stop slow decelerating without using brakes at all, just freely rolling having tranny in N, preferably slightly uphill. You got the idea.

Another test, do you get the same sound during acceleration instead of deceleration? It would be the same force (depending on the rate of the acceleration), just directed in the opposite direction compare with deceleration.

As you see, the idea is to run different scenarios (of course including what "Desert Rodent" above suggested) in order to zero in to actual culprit, whether it the gas sloshing in the tank, or something else. Good luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is a real longshot. I have a 2014 S and have developed a water leak that settles in my quarterpanel in the trunk. Currently, it is only a few drops, but if enough water got in it would create a sloshing noise. Feel and smell for dampness in the trunk area, push the car up and down in the trunk area and listen.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I was thinking possibly a water intrusion thing too. I'm not sure if these have them, but at the bottom on the doors there might be a little drain flap that can get stuck or clogged and let water start to fill up the door. That would slosh. I believe these have them, but not 100% sure.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

·
Registered
511 Posts
I had Nissan check this out and I was told that the noise is from the gas sloshing in the tank and that the sound is normal; I've driven many cars and I've never had a car make this sound; anyone else experience this? Thanks.
One more thing you can do is to test drive a new Nissan from a dealership lot and either prove or disprove what they tell you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts