Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody looked into aftermarket camgears for their 6spd V? I noticed how the spacing is for each gear. Wouldn't it be nice to change the timing from 1st to 2nd gear, etc? Skunk2 makes a lot of stuff for the Civic and Integra. Any news on this?

·
Registered
413 Posts
1-its cam gears, not camgears.
2-no there isnt anything available.
3-spacing between each gear? what?
4-change time from 1st to 2nd? do you mean when shifting? if so, the cam gears have nothing to do with the trans.
5-EVERYBODY makes a lot of stuff for the civic and integra.
--BONUS--
6-is it bad when i know which topics you started based on the title ot it?

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I brought up the topic because nobody talked about it and wanted some information. When I said spacing, I mean the gear ratio from XX mph to XX mph... Some people mention how the gears shifting is spaced too close and wondering if there's something that can change this.

A bit of knowledge would be nice if somebody can inform people.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
that would be the gears in the gearstack that is in your tranny and not the cam gears. Cam gears are the gears that are attached to you cams. They are in the head and not associated with how fast you go in each gear of the transmission.

edit: dam I got beat posting and he had a pic to show :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
VersaMG08 has a point

OK, now that everyone has stroked their ego by burning into the minutiae of drive train terminology, let's get down to business. VersaMG08 was right. If there's anything the Versa needs it's a new set of gear ratio's in the box. 1st and 2nd are too close - 6th isn't far enough out to make a difference on top end, ect. They change tranny configurations all the time for other models. Anyone have any ideas on who to approach for such a task. It's a shame to talk about tuning a Versa w/o addressing the adequate yet anemic gear ratios.

·
Registered
9 Posts
changing the transmission gear ratios in the Nissan 6sp manual

The topic is how do we change the gear ratios in the Versa 6 speed manual transmission, as was originally brought up by VersaMG08. Great topic by the way. This is an interesting topic for two reasons.
First performance - a better fitting 1st through 3rd gearing would increase acceleration more effectively than any horsepower boost. Also, an increase in horsepower would always be hampered by the poor performance of the trans. You are only going to accelerate as fast as the gearing will allow, which in this case isn't much.
Second - mileage - I drove to Knox, a town about 3 hours away last weekend w/ a friend of mine and hypermiled to see what it would do. We drove 55-60mph the whole way in the slow lane in 6th gear cutting about 2400 rpm and got 50 mpg. If 6th gear was higher we could have gone 75mph in 6th gear and still got 50mph. The 1.8 engine is fine, the gearing sucks. If a shop would produce a better config on the trans. the Versa would replace the Civic as the main car for tuners of all sorts.

·
Registered
222 Posts
just the cost of haveing new gears made and so forth will set you back about 10-15k already looked into it. have to do some more hunting and compareing but i think that the sentra 6spd that bolts up to the 2.0 it a different gearing and might fit the v.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used to hear about my older brothers friends doing this to the B-series Honda 5sp. Lots of shops have the equipment to custom make an output shaft and gears. They have computerized lathes and cutting/coring machines now so there's no guess work. I guess anyone could get their hands on the specs and grind down chunks of billet steel to make the parts. They could even be made over in China and assembled here. Of course it would void the factory warranty but lots of mods do that. You've got to remember these auto companies are hemmed in between emissions and Cafe standards now. That's why everyone's coming out with CVT transmissions. Everybody knows the CVT concept is a piece of crap. I live in Nashville about 5 miles from the corporate headquarters of Nissan North America in Franklin and I've had the chance to talk to some of those guys. Just like when you put on a cold air intake and free flowing exhaust to improve on what the automaker had to do to get the car through govnt. certification. We'll have to find a way to undo what they've done to transmissions to make them 50 state compliant.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What about getting a business interested in doing it on a larger scale. Say someone could do a run of 1,500 - 2,000 and sell them for $2,500 - $3,500 each. If they advertised that they had this capability maybe it could be a business plan for them.

·
Registered
413 Posts
you want a business to make a $2500 part for the V? look around, nobody wants to buy expensive parts for the V (which is also why nobody wants to make parts, IMO).
if you think it is so easy i say YOU should get a business interested.

·
Registered
502 Posts
1st gear is retarded. i generally start in second because when i finally let the clutch all the way out in first its time to shift. somebody please figure out a way to make jimmy's post (2 up from this one) a reality.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I don't have a manual transmission (cvt) so I wouldn't know anything about the shifting :) lol

but anyways, unless someone plans on racing their Versa I don't see why you'd ever get to 130. Hell even I'd a Versa did race it'd probably take quite some time to get to the 100s. I have had my cvt to 100 but I was just curious how it handled. For normal driving I probably haven't ever passed 70.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Again, as I said before. The reason we modify cars is because the auto makers produce a vehicle that can comply with 50 state CAFE standards, additional federal standards plus they have to make a profit. This is why we purchase cars with poor air induction systems and hemmed up exhaust systems. This is why you can put a good cold air intake and free flowing exhaust on a car and get significant horsepower and mileage gains. Often times 15% or more. Unfortunately the federal and state govnt's keep passing legislation which makes automakers jump through even smaller hoops to comply and it explains why the gearing in cars sucks so bad today. All car makers simultaneously got the bright idea to come out with the CVT transmission at the same time. What's so great about an auto trans that can't be fixed when it breaks? Nissan doesn't repair them they only replace them - as does Ford, Honda, Toyota and all the others. CAFE standards are only for mileage not longevity of the transmission. The poor gearing in the manual is the same. The wave of the future is upgrading the gears.

·
Registered
9 Posts
By upgrading the gears in the tranny you could wind out in 6th at 150mph+ or you could cruise at 75mph on the interstate @ 2200RPM and get 50 MPG. A real good way to prove this to your self is to get on the interstate in 6th gear in the slow lane and go 55mph. Your tach will read about 2200 RPM. Then check your mileage. I did it last weekend and got 50 MPG on a 3 hour trip. The Versa has only been out for 3 years in the US and the aftermarket for Nissan along w/ NISMO sucks. If you don't believe me log onto the TRD site and see all the wild after market and factory upgrades there are for their cars. Toyota will get behind an average car - like the Yaris or Scion and turn it into a tuner. Does anyone have a strong Versa club close to where they live? I know SO CAL has alot going on and I've heard of stuff happening in Montreal and Las Vegas. Is anybody on this thread involved w/ a local Versa club?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.