Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive on the highway every day, 125 kph for about 20 minutes (3000 RPM all the way), and I seem to be getting some pretty bad mileage for some reason.

I seem to be getting just 425 km on a full tank. Is the Versa made for city driving? I thought it would do better if I stuck to the highways. The car in question is a 2007 Versa with an AT.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
welcome! mpgs drop off noticably above 110km/h approx, but shouldn't be that bad :(
average three tanks together to reduce error due to fillup variations.
i'm also guessing the 4 speed AT w 1.8L motor gives not so great mpgs.
is that US gallons or Imperial?
welcome where ya from?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
at 65 mph (105ish kmh) I get 34 mpg all day. I have the 1.8 auto as well. Take it down a few km's and see what happens

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I get only about 22mpg sometimes 23mpg but that's city driving I haven't done highway in a while.

·
Registered
238 Posts
On non-ethanol fuel (I have a local station with pure gas now woot :D ) I get 34MPG and that's mostly city with some two-lane snake-like roads. Oh yes and I too have the 4speed auto.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am starting to log my MPG, I have only logged one tank so far since my wife and I just bought the car,
The car is a 1.8 Auto from 2007 with 73k on it when we got it, and our first tank got us 254 miles, Just today filled it up and it took 11.9Gal so the MPG = 21.42

I will post back when I have a 3 tank avg, and yes all city driving in downtown Louisville KY and probably too much idle time sitting in the car.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have the 1.8L AT and I'm getting anywhere from 32-41 why and 28-39(Granny Style) city

EDIT: With stock tires/wheels

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you know if you have the original wheels and tires? Check your door placard to see the original fitment.

-D4FMD
Im using the stock wheels with 185/65/15 Cooper CS4 Touring tires that were on the car when I bought it. My tire pressure light has not been on... I guess I can double check and make sure they are at 33PSI.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I get an average of 31 MPG (1.8/6 Speed MT). I fill 93 Octane, 9 - 10 gallons fills the tank and I get between 525 - 565 KMS on one tank. Using stock wheels, inflated as recommended by Nissan.
I've heard of 1.8L versas getting worse mileage from higher octane fuels. Do you find this? I've always used 87 octane.
I keep my tires at 38psi fwiw

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I get an average of 31 MPG (1.8/6 Speed MT). I fill 93 Octane, 9 - 10 gallons fills the tank and I get between 525 - 565 KMS on one tank. Using stock wheels, inflated as recommended by Nissan.
I am getting the same amount of km's on a tank with 87 lately. And thats with larger (and heavier) wheels and tires than stock. My sisters bf has been driving it lately, but up until that point I was stretching a tank out to almost 2 months! (I don't use my own vehicles for commuting, and in nicer weather was riding my speed triple pretty near everywhere else).

OP... I was getting similar mileage when I used to drive my car at those speeds as well. It also has alot to do with how hard you accelerate and if you are at a consistent speed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you are getting 19.2 mpg at any speed in the Versa I would say something is wrong. I have never been happy with the fuel economy in my Versa (2007 with 4 sp auto), and have consistently averaged in the mid 20's and get in the upper 20's (mpg) at highway speeds. In my other four vehicles I can always hit the highway fuel economy number or above even in city driving.

Some good advice has already been offered. Check your math and base your conclusion on several fillups to factor out differences from filling up. Slowing down a little from 77 mph (125 kph) should make a difference as the wind resistance increases as a square of the speed. However, I have found my Versa loves the 3000 rpm range on the highway.

Some bad advice: Raise the air pressure in your tires 20 -25 % above what is recommended by Nissan. Not only will the ride in the Versa go from bad to terrible, but the risk of blowouts rises. Tires will wear badly, handling will suffer, wet weather traction and winter weather traction will become scary dangerous, and the suspension is taking a pounding. I know others have said this is good, but seriously, don't follow their advice. Raising the air pressure from the recommended 33 psi ( I think) to 40 will not raise your gas mileage from 19 to 30. It may go from 19.2 to 19.5 but the reduction in life to the tires and suspension components will far exceed the value of what little gas you save. Besides the Versa is already a rattle trap, I can't imagine shaking everything even more from a 40 psi ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.