Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning.

I awoke to an early Christmas gift from the repair sprites. My wife told me her 2010 Nissan Versa was not starting. I went out to check it and it sounded like this, (NOT MY VIDEO)

I managed to get the car to start on the 3rd attempt while also pushing the gas pedal a bit. It ran for about 10 minutes without issue. I let it sit for about a minute and it started right back up no issue.

After doing a little looking and some thinking (I am NOT mechanically inclined at all) I think it may be the fuel pressure regulator bleeding off fuel from the line after the car sat. Since the car ran I don't think the issue is going to be the fuel pump. And given that the car started right back up after only a minute of being off I think it's the fuel pressure regulator.

So, given that info, am I correct in this thinking? Can I go ahead and order the replacement part and line up the fuel pump replacement kit rental from my local parts store as outlined in this forum post?

https://www.nissanversaforums.com/engine-forum/4321-fuel-pump-fuel-pump-relay-fuel-pressure-regulator-ipdm-trouble-shooting.html

Thank you, and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick update:

So the part number from Nissan - 22670-ZR70C - does not show up as related to my vehicle when I check the Nissan online database or when I called the Nissan parts department at my local (45 min away) Nissan dealership.

The service memo linked in West Rock's post shows that the fuel pressure regulator is an issue from 2007-2009. So that means one of two things, either the fuel pump changed from 2009 to 2010, or Nissan has elected to not recognize the fuel pressure regulator as an issue in the 2010 and instead recommends changing the entire fuel pump.

So: Did the fuel pump change between 2009 and 2010 to have the fuel pressure regulator become non-serviceable or is Nissan just choosing to say the fuel pressure regulator is not removable when it actually is? I'd rather not pull the fuel pump with the regulator only to find out the fuel pump changed.

(as a side note when I go to most online parts retailers it shows that the same aftermarket fuel pump will fit 2007-2011 Versas, if that's worth anything)

·
Registered
939 Posts
For one, you have zero evidence the pump losing pressure is the issue, it can happen and not even be an issue. Need a fuel pressure drop check. Pressure should stay almost the same with pump off for up to an hour. And, if from a leaking injector instead, it fouls the plug and all the pumps on earth won't touch that issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For one, you have zero evidence the pump losing pressure is the issue, it can happen and not even be an issue. Need a fuel pressure drop check. Pressure should stay almost the same with pump off for up to an hour. And, if from a leaking injector instead, it fouls the plug and all the pumps on earth won't touch that issue.
Okay then, where should I start? Pull the plugs?

Local AutoZone has a Fuel Pump test kit: https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/loaner-fuel-pump-diagnostic-kit/oem-fuel-pump-test-kit/913437_0_0

Should I rent that (I get the money back after return) and hook it up and see?

Perhaps I should have also added this: The Service Engine light is on with code P1421 given. That is the code for the following, according to what I find online:
https://autoservicecosts.com/obd2-codes/p1421/

Lack of intake air volume (block air filter)
Fuel injection system (Clogged fuel injector or bad fuel pump)
Defective PCM
PCM that needs reprogramming

I have an K&N Air filter in the car and I cleaned it this week and the code still trips.

Given that info, where do you think I should start?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Okay then, where should I start? Pull the plugs?
I think the answer is in the post above from amc49: "Need a fuel pressure drop check".

I would add: if after your car sits overnight, and you turn ignition key in the "Run" position (the last before "Start") without starting the car, do you hear a humming sound for a few seconds? This is your fuel pump builds up a fuel pressure after sitting overnight, and this is a good sign. If not, a fuel pump is possible a culprit. But again, you need to measure fuel pressure to quantify it . Otherwise you just throwing parts at your car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, looks like I'll be renting the tool from Auto Zone then.

I've done a quick Google search and can't find information that specifically talks about a 2007-2011 Versa and a fuel pressure check. Does anyone know of a guide somewhere? Alternatively can someone point me in the direction of finding the fuel pressure test port?

Thanks!

·
Registered
939 Posts
The '11 service manual says you have to cobble up a tee for a fuel pressure line made up to test the pressure, there is no nipple or fitting to physically check ir easily on either size engine. It may well be easy to check it by software inference if one has an OBD2 reader. Normal value is 50 psi at idle.

The 1421 code description there is wonky, it says the ECM cannot pick up the timing or idle speed but mentions things that have little or nothing to do with that like MAF, fuel injection system or intake air volume. The ECM reads rpm and timing off the crank and cam sensors and no mention of those at all. I question that thread highly. The engine temp sensor or O2 sensor may play into that, they time in at a certain time to indicate engine going off cold start open loop to warm closed loop.

·
Registered
939 Posts
FYI, a newly cleaned K&N can easily mess up MAF input if too much oil got sprayed on it, the extra oil then pulls off to contaminate the MAF hot wire to give erroneous readings. May need to clean that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
amc49
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing