Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently had an oil and filter done, the next day my Versa 2009 SL had a problem/cranking and starting. Since then it is hard to start about half the time (weather is generally warm), about 3-5 chugs before it will go. I had it checked by a few mechanics, they replaced the battery, which was getting old, but said this wasn't the issue. They also said the starter is good, and the alternator is good. Canadian Tire did a diagnostics allegedly and recommended 'Fuel Pressure Regulator' and 'Spark Plug' replacement, citing the bill would be approx $800 (parts and labor). Does anyone have any knowledge about these things, or can you make some recommendations on what the problem might be? Thanks in advance.

Amber

·
Registered
691 Posts
How long have you had the vehicle? If you have no knowledge of the FPR being done then it probably is that, there is a little piece in the FPR that comes detached from the body of the FPR but only randomly. When the fuel rail isn't set to the correct pressure it won't start due to either leaning out or an overly enriched A/F. Fairly simple. Has it done this before? I would say based on previous cases of this to ignore the fact that it had an oil change the other day and it just HAPPENED to occur after the fact. Take that out of the equation because it's irrelevant. 90% of the time this issue is a FPR. I haven't personally diagnosed any hard starts that WEREN'T this other than the usual stuff like sensors, their pigtails, MAF's.. easy to diagnose stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive taken it to two dealerships and they've checked the battery, the sparks, sensors, the starter etc.. and all good, they've also used this method to diagnose Diagnosing Your Fuel System - MiniMopar Resources (pressure did not drop) as no engine or trouble light(s) were on ; also no codes could be pulled using their diagnostics. These mechanics seemed perplexed in the extreme, and refused to blame it solely on the FPR, they also said they could not re-produce the problem... but as soon as I get it home, there's the long cranks times again. 07Versa you sound like you know what you're talking about, and have some mechanical skills. Thanks so much for the input, it is much appreciated

The problem is new BTW, the Versa itself is a 2009 w/ 95000km.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Nissan has had its share of fuel pressure regulator trouble. One way to pressurize the fuel rail system is to turn the ignition key to on(3 secs) - off(3 secs) - on(3 secs) intervals before engaging the starter. If it starts right away after the third pause it will confirm that the FPR is bleeding down the pressure. When mine acts up I turn the ignition ON as soon as I get into the seat and then take my time buckling up and then hit the starter which has given time for the fuel pump to build up pressure.

Frank 2009 Versa S Sedan MT-6 with 70K+ miles

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
It definitely sounds like a fuel issue. A dealership refused to recognized the fuel pressure regulator could be bad? That just sounds odd. I know when I called my dealer to report the issue they told me right there on the phone that it was probably being caused by the fuel pressure regulator, which is an exceedingly common issue on these cars. Incidentally, that is the only thing that dealership has ever been right on.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Had those exact intermittent symptoms at 150000km.
Had the FPR replaced, not the whole fuel pump, as others can attest.
Fuel system has been flawless since then, with no starting issues.
Cost about $50 plus an hour labour.
Welcome to the NVF!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts