Nissan Versa Forums banner

Has anyone changed CVT fluid on the V-Note?

17K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Pbh1968 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I know what CVT fluid my Note uses buuuut not sure if it would be easy changing it on my own, can't find a place were to pour the fluid in from the topof the engine bay. My local nissan dealer told me it's a $200 job which baffles me why so much. Can anyone help me here?

#2 ·
Jay, I asked a related question over a year ago (how to check CVT trans fluid level) and did not get an answer from anyone. I have not replaced my CVT fluid (I think the schedule calls for inspection but no replacement for normal use, or 60K interval for severe use) but from what I've gathered, there is a fill bolt on the side of the transmission where you would introduce the fluid. There should be a drain plug towards the bottom. The procedure is similar to filling old rear axles where you pour in the fluid until you reach the bottom of the fill hole.

BTW I understand Nissan dealers have a tool to test the quality of CVT fluid and based on the results of the test they determine if you need the fluid changed or not. I only have less than 10K Miles so it will be a while before I will need to change.

#3 ·
Just my opinion as I haven't performed this yet either...

Jay, I asked a related question over a year ago (how to check CVT trans fluid level) and did not get an answer from anyone.
I'm almost positive I saw your post the other day when I was thinking about doing this. I'd like to say I'm good mechanically at things but I had to read the service manual a few times to let it soak in. We essentially do 3 drain and fills. I'm guessing since there is no filter to replace. The first 2 drain and fills are performed with the overfill tube removed and that is the part that got me. Where do you buy this?? Then I realized it was installed behind the CVT drain plug. So you remove the drain plug, then the overfill tube, then all the fluid comes rushing at you. You still need some way to shove the fluid back in from the bottom. The last drain and fill the overfill tube is installed. Think of a overfill tube in a swamp cooler or the fill hole on an old differential. You put the fluid in and when you remove the supply it might start pouring out. If it doesn't you add more. Once it starts pouring out and then slows to dribbling out you button it up and you're done. (BTW follow the service manual I paraphrased a lot but you have to do some things with the engine running, some not, etc.)

My local nissan dealer told me it's a $200 job which baffles me why so much.
That's not a bad price actually. It all depends on how cheap you can get the CVT fluid. The whole procedure will call for about 10 quarts if I read it correctly so 10 X $15-$20/qt = $150-$200 just for fluid.

I think the owner manual calls for the fluid to be checked every 20k. My plan since I don't like other people working on my car unless absolutely necessary is to to send a CVT fluid sample to Blackstone for analysis at every 20k interval and change fluid or not based on the results. I'll have to remember to take some pics.

#4 ·
I totally forgot about this thread, haven't done the CVT fluid change but over here its like $11+tax for thw Valvoline quarts at pepboys so nearly $13 per quarter and not sure if I mentioned this but over here my car got checked for CVT oil at 30,000 miles, my car now has a little over 55,000 miles now and it was bought on Oct. 2013

#5 ·
You have to use a pump and pump it up into from the same hole it came out of. At least that is the way on 2016 versa note

Hi guys, I know what CVT fluid my Note uses buuuut not sure if it would be easy changing it on my own, can't find a place were to pour the fluid in from the topof the engine bay. My local nissan dealer told me it's a $200 job which baffles me why so much. Can anyone help me here?
[/QUOTE]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.